Drinking water...feeling sick HELP

lmcintyre85
on 2/25/14 12:38 am
VSG on 01/15/14

So I'm 6 week out on Wednesday and for the last week or so when I drink water that's cold it makes nauseous and a little sick but only for a minute or two right after I drink it. I always used to drink cold water and wondering why it's affecting me now. I tolerate food well although it's not as appetizing as it was a few weeks ago. HELP!!!

Shagdoll
on 2/25/14 12:42 am

It's weird how the whole water thing is after surgery.  I used to love ice cold water but not so much anymore.  When I go to restaurants, I prefer to ask for my water with no ice.  Sometimes I can drink it plain, other times I prefer a water enhancer.  Try to swtich it up a little to see if warm sits better for you.  Maybe some warm tea might help.  Good luck!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Scribbler
on 2/25/14 12:56 am

I love ice water too, but after my sleeve, it seems to make me cramp up and hurt a little bit. I've had to switch to room temperature water. Try drinking water that's a little bit warmed up, maybe? Many patients report that their sleeves don't like cold drinks very much. Or, use the water enhancers (flavorings). I don't like water enhancers but fortunately I tolerate warmer water just fine. Or I'll make it into tea and drink it hot. As long as you're drinking, it's all good. Dehydration makes you feel yucky!

(deactivated member)
on 2/25/14 12:57 am - Canada

I still can't drink plain water.  Even a sip to take a pill throws me into nausea.  Same as you it goes away within a few minutes but who wants to sip and be nauseated all day?  Try room temperature liquids and adding a flavour to it.

I think as we heal things effect us differently and we just have to go with it until we find our individual normal.  It's frustrating but it must mellow out eventually or everyone would constantly be bringing it up.  It seems to be just us newbies.

I hope you feel better soon, God bless.

lmcintyre85
on 2/25/14 1:27 am
VSG on 01/15/14

Thank you everyone for you replies. I also think I may be slightly dehydrated. This weekend I didn't come close to my water intake which I know is horrible and yesterday I had 48 ounces. Cause I just kinda feel off and tired.

FindingMyWeigh
on 2/25/14 3:13 am
VSG on 10/30/13

At 4 months out I still struggle with water. I was never a big water drinker. I tried some crystal light and that didn't work for me either. I split my fluids between water and G2 gatorade..and then I got the bright idea to mix them 1/2 and 1/2. It seems to be working for me. I do drink it room temp, cold fluids aren't all that appealing to me anymore.

pharmagirl_45
on 2/25/14 4:22 am - NJ
VSG on 01/14/14 with

I can't drink plain water any longer cold or warm.  I have to put crystal light in it just to get it down.  It sucks becuase I use to love plain water.  I'm hoping that in time I will be able to tolerate it better.  I'm still not getting enough water in but I'm really trying.

VSG on 1/14/14 with Dr. Samuel Wasser

Glow2182
on 2/25/14 5:52 am - WA

I am 5 weeks out and have the same problem. Warm water is definitly easier for me to drink, but for some reason drinking tea all day dries my mouth and lips out (haven't figured the cause of that out yet). My tummy really doesn't like cold water and can do room temperature water some what as long as its flavored (but not flavored too much or that will make me nauseous too! LOL gotta love figuring this whole thing out).

Good luck!

HW 505  SW 446  GW 200.       VSG Surgery on 1/22/14

Ready2startLiving1975
on 2/25/14 7:15 am
VSG on 02/03/14

I'm 3 weeks out from VSG and have had a pretty rough go of it. I have been severely nauseous since my discharge from hospital. I've got several types of anti nausea medications and while it is much better than it was, it's still far from gone. The only way I've been able to get any fluids in is via orange Popsicles and ice. Any time I try for something that's room temp or even just cold from the fridge the nausea kicks into high gear.  I have yet to be able to make my fluid/protein goals. Still happy I had this surgery done, I just wish I could lose the nausea.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 304 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 350 views