One week out!

MAchick
on 2/3/14 5:53 am
VSG on 01/27/14

One week ago today I had my sleeve surgery, hooray!

It was a rough start. I didn't know I would have an NG tube so that was a nasty surprise. I was also not a big fan of my JP drain removal LOL. I stayed in the hospital 3 nights because my O2 sats were dropping at times and I was having low-grade fevers at night. In hindsight I'm very glad I stayed the extra night because it helped to be in a controlled setting while advancing my diet and switching pain meds.

Knock on wood, I've been doing pretty well! Still a bit sore, some periods of weakness/lightheadedness. Today I went out with my guy and we walked around Walmart several times, the grocery store, the post office, and visited my parents.

I'm on a modified full liquid stage and succeeding in getting down a variety of foods, which makes me happy. I'm doing my protein shakes, broth, Greek yogurt, unsweetened apple sauce, soupy cream of wheat, unsweetened almond milk. I'm going to try a bit of whipped cottage cheese later.

Getting in all my fluids and protein, though I feel like I constantly have something in my mouth (har har). My stomach still feels bloated to me, but it's going down little by little each day. I have two incisions on the left that are being little dinks. They all look okay though, from what I can see through the steri strips. Four incisions and one hole from the wound drain.

Follow-up appointment is Feb 19, where I'll meet with the surgeon and NUT! I've been faithfully tracking on MFP, averaging 300-400 calories. I think in a few days I will start the gym and just begin walking on a treadmill. I have lost 7-8lbs this week which has surprised me. I honestly feel like I gained because of the IV fluid bloat. I'll take it!!

Thanks for letting me ramble, I am so happy that my date came and went and things are getting easier!

pharmagirl_45
on 2/3/14 6:03 am - NJ
VSG on 01/14/14 with

Wow!  You are doing good.  I'm on pureed foods and I'm still not eating that much.  I'm getting a lot better with liquids but the protein is still how.  I just orded some Unjury protein so I hope I can start getting more protein in.

VSG on 1/14/14 with Dr. Samuel Wasser

MAchick
on 2/3/14 6:12 am
VSG on 01/27/14

Can I ask about how many calories you usually get in a day? I know I'm going to be low and I'm not striving for 600 at all right now, but just curious to what others are getting in. I think recently I read people usually only get in a few hundred the first month. I guess it's just a weird feeling compared to what I used to eat!

I forget, did you say you were having a hard time with water too? Because I noticed water is more difficult for me too. I remember, in my morphine stupor, that when I had my leak test done, the examiner said that the first dye didn't go down all the way at first, seemed to sit on top probably because of the edema. But the barium contrast went down easier. I've been finding that heavier liquids are much easier, which I didn't think would be the case!

I haven't tried unjury yet, thought of trying their chicken broth. Have you tried the syntrax nectars? Those pass more as a juice or crystal light type of drink to me rather than a thicker protein drink.

pharmagirl_45
on 2/3/14 11:28 am - NJ
VSG on 01/14/14 with

I'm only getting about 300 calories in a day.   I'm getting better with the water but still not enough.

VSG on 1/14/14 with Dr. Samuel Wasser

FindingMyWeigh
on 2/3/14 6:36 am
VSG on 10/30/13

Hey Girl, come on over here and have a seat on the Loser's Bench!

Hydration is your main priority, if you can get your protein in, all the better, but push fluids.

You are water logged with IV fluids now, go with no sodium or lower sodium broth on your clear fluids to shed tha****er weight. It comes off in the first week or so.

Average calories at 3 months out..400 a day. I tried 20g of carbs, didn't work for me, I was too fatigued. I bumped it up to 30-40g and it made a big difference. 

Walk when you can but don't pu**** You've just had major surgery. Give your body the chance to heal..and sometimes that means extra rest. 

Congrats! 

MAchick
on 2/3/14 6:48 am
VSG on 01/27/14

Thank you!  Yes I was wondering if my beloved broth was preventing the swelling from going down quicker. I think it's low sodium,  but I know it's still packed.  I think broth is my favorite thing to drink as of yet.

GingerJen
on 2/3/14 7:21 am
VSG on 03/07/14

Yay! I've been following your journey and hope to join you on the bench in a few weeks. You seem to have a great perspective! Keep up the healing!

37 y/o female 5'8" HW 355 consult 329 SW (3/7/2014)301 CW 168 goal 170

M1- 26 M2- 14 M3- 15 M4 -13 M5 -16 M6-12 M7-2 M8-5 M9-6 M10-8 M11-1 M12-5  M13-10 Goal reached 4/5/15 total lost 187 lbs total; 133 in the 13 months since surgery

MAchick
on 2/3/14 9:14 am
VSG on 01/27/14

Thank you Jen,  I'll be watching for your updates soon! 

dancermom2_7
on 2/3/14 9:10 am - OH

thanks for updating again.. you are doing great.. keep it up! I cant wait to see in the next few week how you are doing...

I do have a question.. are  you hungry? do you have a disire to eat? I am so worried I am going to be hungry!

Thanks S~

HW 276 GW140  CW248

MAchick
on 2/3/14 9:17 am
VSG on 01/27/14

I've had a couple moments where I thought I was hungry,  but not entirely sure lol. I've heard a lot that acid can mimic hunger,  Though I haven't had any typical heartburn symptoms. I've felt it when I haven't had anything bu****er,  So maybe that's what it is.  My stomach is insanely gurgly, and I have a lot of gas in there. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 162 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 437 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 458 views