An update, and a girl question

BetterTheSecondTime
on 1/4/14 10:52 pm - Cortlandt Manor, NY

Went to Urgent Care last night, because my throat was so sore I was sure I had strep - but thank goodness it was negative, so no need for antibiotics. I talked over with the doctor there (who ironically used to be the director of the ER at the hospital where I had surgery) about my lightheaded/dizziness issue. He said to give it one more day, that once my body realizes I'm giving it the protein shakes now, that it would catch up.

Lo & behold, I woke up and I'm having MUCH less of an issue! Of course, then I thought to myself "Great now I can tackle some cleaning around here!" & started cleaning (too much bending, I'm sure) and changing sheets. Brought back the issue...so I'm stopping & it's already improved. I see light at the end of the tunnel :)

Thanks so much for everyone's support :) I'm on here a ton throughout the day/night, for reassurance...I'm so thankful for this site! 

NOW - for the girl question....

I'm not due for my period for another week...but I've started spotting today. What's the deal?? Has this happened to anyone else? Is this a side effect from surgery or the sudden change in diet? I'm usually able to predict down to the hour, so this is very unlike me....

FindingMyWeigh
on 1/4/14 10:59 pm
VSG on 10/30/13

The surgery causes hormonal upheaval. You store estrogen in your fat cells and when you shed the weight it can cause spotting and irregular periods.  Remember, too, that the hormone ghrelin was made in the upper hind end of the stomach that has now been removed and that plays a factor, also. Your body is coming to terms with it's new normal. All is well 

Sandy M.
on 1/4/14 11:23 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Normal - stress plays a huge factor too. I'm in menopause - hadn't had a period in 11 months and had the biggest one ever day of my surgery - massively inconvenient, let me tell you!  

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Amielea1975
on 1/4/14 11:29 pm
VSG on 12/11/13

My first period after my surgery was awful and lasted longer than Norma.

mustlovepoodles
on 1/4/14 11:49 pm
VSG on 12/31/13

It's totally normal to have a period following any abdominal surgery. Your girl parts don't like to be messed with. They don't want to be touched, or shoved aside, or cleaned with saline or any of the other normal things that happens to them while you're asleep. Even the smallest manipulation can cause your ovaries to response and voila! An unexpected period occurs!

HW: 229 ; SW: 208 (-21);  GW: 125

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

Machelle.K
on 1/5/14 1:05 am - WA
VSG on 11/06/12

As far as the light headed sometime I still get that feeling. I'd say you need to take things slow and let your body heal. Do your chores a little slower, then when you get this huge surge of energy (I got mine about at the 5 month mark) you can really go to town. In the mean time take your time. The period issue is totally normal! I got my period the day of surgery (very inconvenient as someone else wrote), then I didn't have it for about 10 months, now it's like I'm 12 yrs old again. I'm trying to figure out timing and the cramps are incredible!!! I hope it leaves soon for good this time. Best of luck...

Machelle 11/6/2012 with Dr. Houseworth WA

lmsypherd
on 1/5/14 1:31 am

I had my period continuosly for three weeks after surgery NONSTOP three weeks!!!  It finally stopped and I am hoping I get a break from Aunt Flo for a little while.  Also, it was a full blown period, not spotting or anything like that.

BetterTheSecondTime
on 1/5/14 7:05 am - Cortlandt Manor, NY

So the stupid dizzy crap was back in the afternoon and hasn't gone away again...EXCEPT if I hold my breath?? What on earth could that mean??

Also, if I get my period for 3 weeks straight I will be calling my GYN to sign up for immediate uterus removal...LOL - so sorry you had to deal with that!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 306 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 351 views