No nutritionist, stalls, and other rants...

isign4u
on 1/5/14 12:47 pm
I'm five weeks post op and have been stalled for two weeks. I know this is semi-normal (according to my research here.) I didn't realize until I came here that having a nutritionist is the norm. My weight loss center's program has two pre op nutrition classes (total of six hours) and several post op ( month one, three, six and one year). The head nurse teaches the classes. I'm feeling frustrated because my one month class got pushed to two months post op because of the holidays and the way the dates fell. Now that I'm at this stall, I'm realizing how beneficial seeing a nutritionist would be. My plan calls for nothing but meat (protein), fish, eggs, and cheese. No dairy, no shakes, no beans, no veggies etc.... I have never been a huge meat eater, but I thought I would be okay. I'm starting to get really sick of it, but I plan to stay the course (even though it is becoming nauseating at times). With the two week stall I'm wondering if I'm eating the right things. Am I eating too much fat, too many calories, not enough? The parameters we were given was up to 4 ounces (ten grams per meal and increasing 5 grams per meal/per day/each wee****il I reach 20 grams per meal three times per day and no snacks) and of course the minimum amount of fluids 64oz). I guess my first point is that it would be great to be able to talk to someone about what I'm eating at this point, instead of guessing if I'm on track. If I would have had my one month class, I could have ran some of my questions past them. Now I'm wasting another precious month guessing. I use MFP and track everything I eat. I'm between 500 and 650 calories. My protein seems to be on target with my program (sometimes a little low due to my choice in meat). I so wish my appointment wasn't a month from now because I feel like the first few months are so precious for optimal weight loss. Maybe I'm doing okay and over analysing again. My second concern is that I work 15hr days and it is really tough to structure my day having three meals rather than three small meals and two snacks. Perhaps this is the part of me that was so used to grazing and always having food on hand. I almost wish my doctor/insurance would have required a longer pre op diet so that I could have weaned myself down to the three meals. Well, I'm moving forward. I know I have rambled and perhaps my thoughts are disjointed, but I'm hoping you can answer the following: how often do you see the nutritionist, did you request this or was it mandatory of your plan, do you eat three meals or three meals and two snacks? Any thoughts on my rant/ramble is appreciated. Thanks!
"One mistake does not a day make"        
themexcellentone
on 1/5/14 12:58 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

To answer your last couple of questions:

1.  I saw the dietician once, pre-op.  This was so I understood how my eating would change post-op, and what the requirements of the pre-op diet were.  She gave me a couple of handouts that explained the progression of textures and foods at various stages of post-op life.  This was helpful as it gave me a general idea of what to expect.  I have considered going back as I am now 6 months out but I may wait another month or so.  I've done just fine without another visit to the dietician, but I also did a lot of homework before I had surgery about post-op eating so I would know what to expect.

2.  I eat 3 main meals and 2 planned snacks.  If I didn't do things this way, there's no way I'd hit my protein goals daily without shakes.  I don't do protein shakes now post-op unless they are absolutely necessary.  My doctor wants us getting protein from whole food sources as they tend to provide more in the way of satiety. 

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

isign4u
on 1/5/14 1:22 pm
Thanks! I thought it was just me that didn't have a nutritionist per se. My doctor is the same when it comes to protein. I just need to find ways to shake up my meals (meat). I think I have things under control, but I tend to over think things (especially with this long stall so early out). Thanks again!
(deactivated member)
on 1/5/14 1:12 pm
RNY on 03/10/14

Yeah the stalls are frustrating. I've found that it helps when you are definitely in a stall to STOP WEIGHING YOURSELF. Longest I've gone is 14 days in a stall. funny thing was is that I was still losing inches. Grazing is a really big cause for stalls. At least with me I never graze on good foods but crackers and such. I saw a nutritionist pre-op and considered it a waste of money. I guess everyone is different on that. Just keep with your program and you will do fine.

isign4u
on 1/5/14 1:25 pm
I guess I'm not as alone as I thought not having to see a nutritionist. Okay, I'm feeling a little better. You are right! All of these programs are so different. I keep going back to my plan to make sure I'm following each week's requirements. Thanks for the response!
katym
on 1/5/14 2:04 pm - PA

Hi isign4u,

Every doctor and plan is different. I saw the nutritionist for 3 individual appointment before surgery in which we went over the pre-op diet, the progression from clear liquids/full liquids/pureed food/soft food/regular foods, and supplements. The nutritionist also comes to each monthly support group meeting so she was the member of the team I had the most personal contact with before the actual surgery. After surgery each post-op appointment included time with the nutritionist as well as with the surgeon and nurse. I cannot remember whether I had 6 or 8 appointments in the 1st post-op year; in the 2nd year I had 4 appointments. Now that I have just passed my 2nd surgiversary, I will only see the surgeon twice a year but we are told to feel free to contact the nutritionist any time because food issues can change in maintenance. The program recently got a new nutritionist I do not have a lot of experience with, but the previous nutritionist was very accessible by email which I really appreciated. I love the fact that my program stresses the fact that we are partners in managing weight long-term.  

As far as food goes, I eat a lot of dairy. I usually have 3 meals and 2 snacks. The snacks are almost always non-fat greek yogurt or cottage cheese. Because of other health issues I take a lot of medication including prescription NSAIDS. My surgeon suggested that to protect my new stomach I should always take my meds with something like yogurt to coat my stomach. Therefore my snacks serve 2 purposes. In general I agree that solid protein promotes satiety, but for speed and convenience I do often have a protein drink for breakfast. The advice I got was that 1 or 2 shakes a day could be important elements of my  longterm diet as long as I accounted for the calories. (I usually make a Nectar fruit flavored drink mixed with water in the summer, and put vanilla protein in a cup of coffee in the winter.) I aim for at least 80 grams of protein and 80 oz of fluid each day. It doesn't happen every day but most of the time....Consistency in my eating and drinking is extra important for me as a wheelchair user since I have more challenges when it comes to burning off calories through exercise.

With determination I think you can be a success on many plans. Good luck on your weight loss journey.

all the best, Katy

consult weight 241 (had not been accurately weighed for over 10 years, my medical records just said "wheelchair") high weight was probably closer to 260. 

isign4u
on 1/6/14 11:36 am

Katy, Thanks for responding.  I think I may go back to a shake on my longer days at work.  I have plans to go to GNC and see if I can get some samples. Thanks for your support!

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 1/5/14 5:51 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

My surgeon has no active pre op or post op program. I got a guide that was written by him and a dietician and that was it. No appointments or follow up apart from labs and any questions I had by email. My nutritionist has been me, myself and I and research on OH and elsewhere. It has been just fine...I have no deficiencies and eat well and healthy. Tracking helps a lot. I eat three meals and usually one snack, all based on protein and veggies. Carbs are incidental in my diet. I don't ban them but I also don't actively integrate them. But I do eat them I would say quite regularly just because I specifically don't avoid them and they are everywhere. I too sometimes graze especially at night but there I actively try to graze on things that will bring me benefit and do the least damage!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

mountainhiker51
on 1/6/14 1:29 am

Hello, I was wondering if you have your monthly stat's for what you lost??? it looks like I am going to be around ten pounds a month and we are close in starting weights...just would like to know..thx

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 1/6/14 2:52 am
VSG on 10/09/12

No, I don't really apart from tracking the weight overall I didn't keep a monthly log. I think I lost abt 19 lbs the first month then 7-10 the next four months and then one to three lbs a month since. Sometimes no loss for a couple of months... Very very slow since month six or so.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 123 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 355 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 402 views