So frustrated

BetterTheSecondTime
on 1/3/14 11:42 pm - Cortlandt Manor, NY

Yesterday was the biggest waste of hours at the hospital I could imagine. My doctor requested I go to the hospital where I had surgery, an hour from home, so that he could see me. I agreed, and went to the ER there. 
Started out well - they tested my sugar (low), I peed in a cup (white blood cells? but no symptoms of UTI), and took blood. They started an IV and started pumping fluids, though they agreed I wasn't dehydrated. Then I was left to sit, for hours. Every time I paged a nurse, they didn't know what was going on. The physicians assistant "had a phone conference" with my doctor and they decided to give me Raglan (for nausea & dizziness, though I wasn't nauseous) and Protonix. These upset my stomach & did nothing for the lightheaded/dizzy/weak feeling I went for to begin with. Then the PA said they would try giving me a bag of nutrients (a banana bag they call it). HOURS passed and it never showed up. All this time my husband was out trying to keep the kids occupied at a nearby mall...for 6 hours. I finally page and ask to leave. I had had enough. The PA said it wasn't advised and I should wait but she would call the DR and see what he says. Another hour passes. I page again and tell the nurse I want to leave, please take out my IV...this guy says, I have to go check with the dr. Another hour passes and I see no one. Then a new nurse comes in to introduce herself as the night duty nurse. I explain  my entire saga, she apologizes, and things start happening. Also, during this whole time, no one would let me have a drink, for unknown reasons. This lovely woman got me a drink, got my kids drinks (who were there at that point) and went and got the banana bag herself - asked me to please give it a try (because I really wanted to just leave). I agreed, and we sat while the nutrients flowed. Then I was finally discharged.  I was there from 1pm to 9 pm. 

I feel EXACTLY the same. Nothing has improved. I don't know what to do at this point...I wouldn't trust myself to drive a car like this....it's exhausting just trying to keep my focus on anything. I don't know how I'm going to go back to work on Monday like this. I'm terrified it's just always going to be like this now..because no one has any idea WHY it's happening. 

I'm wishing I hadn't gone through with the surgery at this point....I'm hoping in a few days this is over and I'll feel differently, but right now I just cry and wish I could eat something and feel better...not emotionally better - don't think this is about using food to cope - but physically better. 

Just venting - you guys have been great at listening and supporting and I'm thankful.

(deactivated member)
on 1/3/14 11:51 pm - Canada

Go to your regular doctor and tell him what's happening.  He can diagnose anything that the bariatric doctor can and if needed he can consult with the bariatric doctor.  I'm having some of that spacey/dizzy feeling at times too.  I think it's the lack of nutrition but it may not be so just go to your local guy.  ER'S suck!

FindingMyWeigh
on 1/4/14 12:06 am
VSG on 10/30/13

I would call your surgeon again and tell him that dehydration was ruled out at ER. The banana can address both low blood sugar and potassium deficiency. You didn't say what your blood pressure was or if you are on medication for that. If you are, you may need to have your meds lowered.  It's nice to have the anti-nausea RX on hand. I didn't suffer from nausea the first few weeks but have had an odd day here and there going through weeks 4-7 post op so it was nice to have it. Your surgeon should have had you on a PPI from day one post op.  If the Protonix isn't working, there are other PPI's to prevent stomach ulcers. It's really important to take that as you don't want to compromise your staple line.  The elevated white blood cells could be as a result of the healing process or could indicate the presence of an infection. My body didn't particularly like the fact that my whole diet had changed and it's response was a yeast infection. Lovely. My symptoms were lower back pain. Apparently it's pretty common although getting the yeast infection in your mouth (thrush) is more common than ladyland. 

G2 Gatorade can help you stay hydrated, give you some carbs and a small amount of sugar. That might be a good solution for the low blood sugar. Don't give up until you get to the bottom of what's happening and keep us posted. We do care :)

BetterTheSecondTime
on 1/4/14 12:44 am - Cortlandt Manor, NY
Thanks for response...I'm not on any BP meds...I did think my BP would be to blame, but it was fine while I was there. I was started on Omiprezole right after surgery, which I think is the PPI. My mouth does hurt...now I'm wondering if you're on to something with the yeast...though I don't think that would cause the dizziness. I feel bad calling the surgeon's office again...like I'm bothering them & they tried...but I can't focus, so I need to do something. Thanks again :)
Amielea1975
on 1/4/14 12:46 am
VSG on 12/11/13

I am so new to this I don't have any advice, but I sure do hope you feel better...

lil1inside
on 1/4/14 7:25 am
VSG on 07/10/13

I'm sorry to hear you are having this issue.  Keep on bugging your physician and or surgeons office--that is what they are paid for!  I like the gatorade suggestions, getting those electrolytes in your system.  And, are you taking your vitamins?  I"m sure you are.  What stage are you in now?  I didn't see how long ago you had surgery?  Things will get so much better once you find out what your system is needing. 

Started at (266 lbs)          Pre-op (249) 7/10/13             Present (173) 03/19/14
No star is lost once we have seen, We always may be what we might have been.
Adelaide Proctor

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 304 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 350 views