your essential foods after surgery

lmcintyre85
on 1/1/14 6:15 am
VSG on 01/15/14
My surgery is scheduled for jan 15 and I am really wanting to know what everyone ate the first few months out. I have some things written down from other forums but really just wondering what foods worked for everybody...especially high protein foods! Thanks everybody and happy new year!!!

puffierus
on 1/1/14 6:50 am - PA

Greek yogurt. I never ate yogurt hefore my surgery now i have a dannon lite & fit greek yogurt everyday 12 grams of protein in 6 oz cups. I also ate can refried beans for dinner alot i would add a tablespoon of greek yogurt to them to get extra protein. butternut squash cream soup i would add 1/2 scoop unflavored protein to it. Popsiscle after surgery to help hydrate you , SF jello pudding

good luck - deb

HW 268   SW219   CW 181.2 surgery date 10/31/2013

:<span class=

happyteacher
on 1/1/14 7:11 am

Fat free Fage greek yogurt, unflavored whey protein powder (Jarrow), sugar free torani syrup to flavor yogurt

Isopure, Premier Protein RTD shakes

Protein hot chocolate

Protein cream of chicken soup

Lived off of this for 2 weeks-

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

mickeymantle
on 1/1/14 7:23 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

eggs cheese yogurt shrimp , tuna, canned chicken

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Scribbler
on 1/1/14 7:29 am

I really, really hate yogurt and am worried because my nutritionist wouldn't stop going on about it and how I should add it to smoothies and whatnot.

Is there anything I can substitute for the yogurt? I don't like the taste of it at all. I think it tastes like vom.

childof60s
on 1/1/14 7:36 am
VSG on 12/17/13

I hate yogurt and cottage cheese too, and I've managed to do without either during my puree stage.

Immediately after surgery: Blood sugars normal, metformin discontinued! Month 1: 18.2 lbs lost;  Month 2: 11 lbs lost.  Month 3: 11 lbs lost

Chida
on 1/1/14 12:04 pm

Maybe you have tried the Fage unflavored greek yogurt. If you haven't, you might like it. Alone it tastes like sour cream (to me). I add flavor to it. (I'm preop, btw.) What I like about it is that it is super creamy. I love the texture. It's different from Yoplait, etc., to me.

Jessica B.
on 1/1/14 12:47 pm

I just tried Yoplait Greek lime and it wasn't so great. I like "light" yogurt just fine, but it's only got 5g protein in it. I've also tried Dannon Light and Fit orange and berry & banana and they were better but the texture is off...

Scribbler
on 1/2/14 12:54 am

I told the nutritionist that yogurt is punishment for letting the milk go bad. She did say that it would be ok if I blend up some silken tofu instead. I have a great recipe for pudding which I make out of silken tofu and raw cacao, and I can use stevia or something to sweeten it instead of honey or sugar. And the tofu has protein, so it even counts.

I don't do well with artificial flavorings, so I have to do the smoothie thing very carefully. A lot of those shake mixes are chock full of stuff that would lay me low with a bad migraine.

Yogurt is high in cholesterol and fat anyway so I think I'll stay away from it.

I will admit I do like the full fat Fage plain yogurt... but only when I'm eating it along with besan roti or something like that where it compliments the flavor. Not exactly a good post-op type of meal, that.

childof60s
on 1/1/14 7:36 am
VSG on 12/17/13

Things I purchased for return home from surgery:

Magic bullet!

For liquid stage:

Designer Whey Protein Powder from Fairway.  

(Soon got tired of lumps and icky foam on top... so I got ready to drinks during pre-op diet)

Isopure Blue Raspberry and Passion Fruit flavored ready to drink protein drinks

I got tired of these after two weeks and have now switched to Premier Protein ready to drink which are scrumptious!

Sugar free popcycles (these were HEAVEN!)

Sugar free Jello

Diet Hot Chocolate

Decaf Teabags

Decaf coffee

Snapple diet iced teas (LIVE on these as I'm not a plain water drinker)

For pureed stage:

Lobster bisque soup from Fairway... (my first "food" after liquid stage... probably a bit too rich but it was Christmas dammit!)

Unflavored whey protein powder (I have the Fairway Supermarket brand, Add to everything I puree!  Totally tasteless.)

Vegetarian pea soup (add unflavored protein powder)

"Gentle lentil" soup from Fairway  (add unflavored protein powder)

Butternut squash soup (my first restaurant food, at Panera.  Ask for no seeds on top.  BJ's Wholesale sells it  too and it's freezable.  Add unflavored protein powder) 

3.5 oz cans of tuna

Smallest cans I could find of canned chicken breast

Eggs (which I hard boiled to make egg salad)

Precooked shrimp

Light mayo for making tuna salad, chicken salad, shrimp and egg salad in my magic bullet.   (add unflavored protein powder)

Sugar free pudding (for taking crushed meds and occasionally treat)   (add unflavored protein powder)

Unsweeted applesauce (mix in unflavored protein powder)

Fat free refried beans (mix in unflavored protein powder)

Low fat shredded cheese (to melt onto tuna salad, refried beans)

I'm still on puree and am getting itchy for something solid.   Another week and I move on, thank goodness!

Good luck!

Co60s

Immediately after surgery: Blood sugars normal, metformin discontinued! Month 1: 18.2 lbs lost;  Month 2: 11 lbs lost.  Month 3: 11 lbs lost

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 304 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 350 views