Home from the hospital with my new sleeve :)

BetterTheSecondTime
on 12/31/13 9:19 am - Cortlandt Manor, NY

Yesterday tested my will....I was told to report to the hospital at 11:30 for 1:30 surgery...but we sat and sat and sat until 4:30! Anxiety was high!

I don't remember anything after having my IV put in...not the ride to the OR or anything. The next thing I remember is coming to in recovery, and I had a very bad reaction to anethesia (which I'd never had before). I felt like I couldn't breath, and I screamed that I changed my mind. I was terrified. Lots of pain until they gave me something for it. Even so, the gas pain was horrendous and I had some difficult nurses last night.
When I asked to walk, they seemed inconvenienced and I was made to wait. Also, was disappointed to learn that I only got ice chips until I passed the x-ray the next morning. 

I'm still having a fair amount of gas pain, though now the incisional soreness is coming. They performed some sort of nerve block (?) on my stomach prior to the surgery - I don't remember this either, because I requested it be done while I was asleep. I have severe needle anxiety - they were fine with this. 

Anyway, I am home now and I finally feel out of the "fog" that I had in the hospital, were I could be asleep at any time. I'm hoping I can do some walking tomorrow...for tonight I'm taking my pain pill and trying to find a comfortable position in my bed. Those automatic beds really do come in handy! :)

cajunlady1958
on 12/31/13 10:09 am - Broussard, LA
Revision on 12/30/15
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. My surgery was postponed 3 times and they wouldn't give me anything until after my leak test. If you have trouble with gas try gas x strips, they worked for me.

You survived what you thought would kill you. Now straighten your crown and go forward like the Queen you are!

mollz007
on 12/31/13 11:24 am
VSG on 02/20/14

Sorry to hear about your bad experience! I'm a couple weeks out from my surgery and the thought of that scares the crap out of me. I've never been under anesthesia before and I pray I don't have a bad reaction to it! Yikes. Anyway, I am glad to hear you are home now and wish you luck with your recovery! Happy new year! Sounds like it's off to a good start.

check out my blog!

rengirl1978
on 12/31/13 11:43 am - Denver, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

Welcome home! Here's to a smooth recovery for you! *cheers

Rhiannon VSG 12/18/13 ~ Mo 1 -35lbs ~ Mo 2 -15lbs ~ Mo 3 -13lbs ~ Mo 4 -8lbs ~ Mo 5 -9lbs ~ Mo 6 -6lbs ~ Mo 7 -8lbs

If we all liked the same things, what fun would life be?

Ken C.
on 12/31/13 12:38 pm
VSG on 03/11/14

Hope you feel better soon! 

Amielea1975
on 12/31/13 10:53 pm
VSG on 12/11/13

Feel better soon! It gets much better :)

Marabell
on 12/31/13 11:37 pm
VSG on 06/07/12
Hello,

It will get better, I promise. I too, have a terrible time with gas, with or without the surgery. I had a full blown panic attack in the hospital because I also felt like I could not breath, and this was not my 1st go around with having air pumped into my diaphragm area!

My advice is to take the gas tabs--don't skimp on those. Sip water ALL DAY...sip and sip and sip! Walk as often as you can-it really does help. Finally, a heating pad on LOW helped me tremendously. Just be careful not to let it sit directly on your sutures.
Best wishes to you---give it all you got, do not waste this opportunity. Stay strong.

M

Melanie W.
on 1/1/14 4:32 am - WA

I had my tonsils out at 21 and remember waking up screaming for my mommy lol...anesthesia can do some funky stuff to you when you wake up

try some gas x and curl up with your knees bent if that's comfortable..should help relieve some of the gassiness

Happy New Year and have a pain free rest of your recovery : )

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 306 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 351 views