Help?

Justincortes1
on 12/29/13 7:23 am

Hey Everyone!

My name is Justin, this is my first post but Ive been reading all of yours for a few weeks now. A little background on me: Im almost 24 years old and pre-op for VSG. I get my date on Jan 8th when I meet with my surgeon (insurance has already approved). I am over 500lbs and have struggled my entire life. My mom had RNY in 2005 and so have a few other members of my family. My step sister and another friend of mine had the VSG within the last year or so so I have some pretty good insight into the process but I am yet to meet a guy who had the VSG. If anyone can help with some insight or tips or anything at all it would be fantastic. Thank you all so much!!!

-Justin 

Chrissy W.
on 12/29/13 7:30 am - Indianapolis, IN
VSG on 07/01/13

Welcome, Justin! You might find it helpful to check out the Men's forum. There are lots of guys who have had VSG with great success!

VSG 7/1/13 with Dr. Jack Rutledge 28 y/o female - 5'10" - HW: 298GW: 174 - SW: 290 (-8) - M1: 262 (-28) - M2: 247 (-15) - M3: 235 (-12) - M4: 228 (-7 ~First Stall: almost 2 wks~) - M5: 218 (-10) - M6: 209 (-9) - M7: 199 (-10) Onederland on 1/31 - M8: 196 (-3) 100 lb total loss on 2/2 - M9: 192.6 (-3.4) - M10: 188.6 (-4) - M11: 182 (-6.6) - M12: 175.6 (-6.4) - M13: 173.8 (-1.8) CW (7/8/15): 167 - GOAL reached in 1 Year and 25 Days! - TOTAL WL - 131 lbs  

pineview01
on 12/29/13 7:34 am, edited 12/29/13 7:37 am - Davison, MI

Look for post from Keith here.  He always has interesting post here.  There are other guys here too.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/keithleslie/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/frisco/ http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/kairk/   And many others

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

happyteacher
on 12/29/13 7:34 am

Hi Justin,

Look up a guy named Jimbo- he lost 300 pounds.  There are other guys that have lost 200 plus, close to 200, etc.  Congratulations on your date!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Shindel
on 12/29/13 7:41 am

Welcome and congratulations on getting your date!

slimpickins5280
on 12/29/13 8:08 am - CO

Right after surgery - sip, sip sip, walk, walk, walk, rest, rest, rest. Repeat. 

No need to beat any records. 

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

Stacy T.
on 12/29/13 8:29 am - Akron, OH

Justin, get on YouTube and look for Maxx Benson videos. He is awesome!!! He had the surgery a year ago and looks amazing. He is very informative and answers all questions and if your nervous and need advise, he is the go to guy!

Good luck to you Justin! You are going to do wonderful!!!

VSG on 06/12/13
A user named 71Dart has an absolutely compelling story and mindblowing photos. Here is his profile link:
http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/71dart/

Welcome!
Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

shess1025
on 12/29/13 1:54 pm - Novato, CA

I'm so excited for you....you have a whole new life ahead....its high time food got out of your way so you can really learn to enjoy and appreciate the big life ahead of you. Smart move to get the sleeve! Keep reading the posts on this forum (with some healthy fluids by your side). I wish I'd done this at your age. Kiss the couch Goodbye! Start planning a new wardrobe....what sport have you always wanted to try? You are about to be hit with more opportunities than you've ever had.....this is so exciting!

Sandra

VSG on 3/13/13 with Dr. Gregg Jossart. HW: 364. SW: 287. GW: 150. CW: 190

Keith L.
on 12/29/13 10:56 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Justin,

Welcome, I think you will find this site to be a fantastic resource. My only advice to new comers is to keep this in perspective. VSG, RNY, or any WLS is not a magic bullet. It is a tool. If you don't use your tool correctly it is like driving nails with a screwdriver. This surgery is what you make of it. If you get through the surgery and start drinking milkshakes you probably are not going to lose weight. On the other hand if you take advantage of the smaller stomach and not being hungry and your weight loss to get more exercise and you can stick to the program you will probably be very successful. I started my journey at 384 and yesterday when I weighed myself I was 203. I am still losing but not as fast as I was a year ago. Lots of good changes are in store for you the biggest is quality of life. But I also see a lot of people on here lose 70 or 80 lbs and then start eating crap again. You truly need this to be a change in your life to be successful. Wrap your head around eating healthy food and exercising. Spend a lot of time focused on why you eat the way you do now and develop some strategies to make sure you don't fall back to those ways. If most of your eating is emotional, I would strongly encourage you to get with a therapist who can help you understand why you eat the way you do and develop some alternate activities when you want to turn to food. Since you still have some time before your surgery I would also encourage you to get to the gym now, even with your current weight and start pushing some iron. The more muscle you have going into surgery the better you will be at burning fat on the other side. Its much easier to gain muscle mass when you are heavy than once you are skinny so as uncomfortable as it sounds put some thought to it. Also once you do start the pre-op diet as part of your clear liquids you will want to take some supplement like Scivation Xtend (there are other similar products its just the one I can remember) that will help you preserve the muscle you have. Otherwise you lose a lot of muscle during the pre-op and post-op pre-full food diets. The more lean muscle mass you have the more calories you burn at rest, so take advantage of being able to eat and start eating lots of protein and hit the gym, you will thank me in a year.

Good Luck!

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 304 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 350 views