Starting to feel hopeless

isign4u
on 12/30/13 2:39 am
I'm three weeks out and am feeling discouraged. I am at 600 calories and around 30 carbs. I keep going up and down the same three pounds for over a week now. What's worse is I don't ever feel full. I was told to eat 4 ounces of dense protein three times per day. I do stop at 4 ounces, but don't feel anything. I keep waiting for the hiccup or the burp people keep talking about and nothing happens. I eat my meals over the course of at least 30 mins and get a minimum of 64 ounces of liquids. I feel like I never even had surgery. I can drink fast and force myself to chew and eat slow. We are not allowed vegetables or anything else except meat, eggs and fish (which I don't eat). I knew this was going to be hard, but it is mathematically impossible to be at 600 calories a day and to NOT lose weight. I'm also walking three miles three times per wee****ep telling myself stay the course and stick to MY plan (because there are so many different plans and opinions). I've been on solid protein since day 11 (pureed protein day 3 to 11) and people said that is when I would start to feel full/restriction and so far nothing. I get very disappointed when I see people saying they can barely eat an ounce or the thought of food makes them sick. I'm not asking for complications, but everything I have been told to watch out for has not happened (for this I am thankful). If I was satisfied with such small portions I would have never needed the surgery in the first place. It is depressing to put 3 to 4 ounces of chicken on your plate and nothing else. In my book that the doctor's office gave me they said to make it look appetizing. How do I do that with nothing else on the plate? I make chicken salad, but I'm not allowed to put anything in it except mayo (no onions, no grapes, no nuts, nada). I'm sorry, I just need to vent. To see that scale go up and down for over a week is just overwhelming. I could handle it if it stayed the same for a week or so, but it's not. I know I need to stop comparing myself to everyone else and that this is my journey, but I would just like to say that THIS is not what I expected at all. I plan on seeing the psychiatrist next week, because I can't do this alone. If you have made it this far, thanks for listening to me ramble.
"One mistake does not a day make"        
G5x5
on 12/30/13 2:50 am - VA

Up your water, that will help with several of your points.

You should literally be drinking water from the moment you get up until you go to bed.  The only time you should stop is during a meal and the 1/2 hour before and after.  The rest of the day a bottle of water should be in one of your hands (and you should be drinking from it).

Done right, we're talking at least 100-150 ounces a day.  I'd consider 100 the absolute minimum.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

isign4u
on 12/30/13 6:11 am
Will do! Thanks for taking the time to respond.
VSG on 06/12/13
What G5 said, plus:
1. do some research on the dreaded 3 week stall (and subsequent stalls that follow)
2. your nerves are still healing so you may not be feeling any "feedback" yet when you're full
3. use small plates to help keep things in scale
4. variety, variety, variety! Think spices and different prep methods to liven things up. One support group lead here advises us to play with our food
5. remember there are multiple ways to measure progress - inches, % body fat lost, etc. It's not just about the scale, so...
6. stay off the scale!

As my surgeon advised me, our bodies are not machines. It is not as simple as input = output. Yes, it is mathematically impossible to not lose weight at 600 cals/day, but there are physiological changes going on that you cannot see. One thing I read about some time ago is that your body needs to shut down/get rid of blood vessels it no longer needs, for example. Not sure if this is true, but it makes sense on some level.

Winning = following your plan at this point. The rest will come in time.

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

isign4u
on 12/30/13 6:20 am
Thanks for your response. I'm not sleeping well either which I know can cause slow WL. I am holding on to that thought that winning equals following the plan. I plan to continue doing so and get out of my head so much. I do feel a difference already. I'm off my diabetic medication and my sugar has been perfect. I also notice a difference in my work. I am able to move easier (I'm a sign language interpreter and one of the reasons I did this among many). Thanks again.
Jackie T.
on 12/30/13 3:46 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

Okay reality check!  The scale is not going to move every day.  Unfortunately, it is also going to go up and it is going to go down.  Stay off the scale if it is going to affect your moods.  Only weigh once a week or once a month or not at all.  Now having said that, you are walking 3 miles per day, good for you!  You are building muscle.  1 lb of muscles is going to weigh the same as 1 lb of fat but it is going to take up less space.  If you have not, take your measurements right now.  This will give you another way to measure your progress.  Make sure you are getting all of your protein in each day.  For me to see real success, I had to get mine closer to 80 grams of protein per day and it took me until about 4 or 5 months out to do that successfully.  Up your water intake if you can also.  I am 12 months out and I never feel full unless I over do it and I only eat 3 to 3.5 oz of protein per sitting and maybe a bite of a green vegetable but not very much anymore, I usually don't have room.  I personally think it is great if you are not feeling full/restriction.  If you feel these things then you have gone too far.  Also you are only three weeks out and you are still healing, swollen and can't really feel everything right now.  Just keep doing what you are doing and it will get better.  Remember why you did this.  For me it was to become healthier and the weight loss was a side effect.  I am off all medications!!!!!!!!!!!!  You got this, just hang in there!

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

isign4u
on 12/30/13 6:25 am
I'm off my diabetic medication as of the day if surgery and my blood sugars have been perfect. You inspired me to get out and walk today (I ran for three minutes in 30 sec which is a new personal best). I am going to continue on plan. Thanks for your response!
Jackie T.
on 12/30/13 9:06 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12
Good for you!

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

pumkinpie1963
on 12/30/13 4:33 am

I can totally identify with what you're saying.  I'm in the same boat.  It's very discouraging but I'm trusting if I keep at it, it will eventually work out.  I know for me it has also been all the emotion of the preparation, surgery, eating and drinking , just the whole experience has left me happy and sad all at the same time.  Let's both just hang in there and do our best.  Hey, we've made it this far it can surely only get better in time. 

isign4u
on 12/30/13 6:35 am
Thanks for responding! It's nice to know I'm not alone. I just wish they would have stressed that this is a possible feeling too in all those classes we took. Instead they stressed how I wouldn't be able to stomach one teaspoon of food which, for me, it's not true. Good luck and keep in touch!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 86 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 298 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 346 views