Scared I'm making the wrong decision

BetterTheSecondTime
on 12/23/13 12:01 am - Cortlandt Manor, NY

I have revision surgery scheduled for Dec. 30th, removing my crapband and getting sleeved...

I'm so worried I won't do any better with sleeve, that I'll be one of the people who is still hungry after surgery, or loses very slowly, or never gets to goal, or regrets it all.

I'm scared something will go wrong during surgery & I'll never see my kids again...that I could die just wanting to be thin. 

Getting LapBand was one of the biggest mistakes of my life...it's made eating horrible for years....what if it doesn't get better, or gets worse?

I'm trying to put blinders on and just get myself there & get it over with, but the minute doubt creeps in I break down crying. 

Is this all normal??

Shagdoll
on 12/23/13 12:07 am

If I  were to put myself in your shoes, I think I would be feeling the same way.  If I had the lapband and I wasn't successful with it, I would most certainly wonder how WLS can work for me the 2nd time around. 

I get hungry still but that's ok.  Your sleeve capacity can only hold so much.  Eat the right kind of foods and you will be fine.

We all worry that we can die from surgery but remember, we can die tomorrow in a car crash (sorry, that was a downer thought) or from an obesity related condition later if we don't make some changes now.   I have 2 small children so I worried about the same thing but now have no regrets having my VSG!!

I know a lot of lapbanders ate sliders but mainly because it was all they could tolerate or keep down.  If you are aware of how you need to eat to be successful then you will be just fine. 

So ... of course your feelings are normal but think about all the positives.  Try to stay plugged into this forum.  You will see many happy VSGers here with plenty of success!!!

Best of luck to you.  It's actually an exciting time and just in time for the new year!!! 

Jenn  

WWBD?  

mickeymantle
on 12/23/13 12:18 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

the risk if you have a good surgeon is minimal , long term there is much more risk being obese

any wls can fail ,but the crap band has the largest amount of problems

I get hungry sometimes at meal time but a few bites and the hunger goes away

if you follow a good plan and don't cheat much you will lose weight , some people do lose slowly but it will come off , this is not a race but a lifetime journey

If you have trouble staying on plan it might be good to see a therapist to work on your eating disorder , we all have one or we would not need wls

life post vsg changes but most people do not get food stuck , there is no dumping or reactive hypoglycemia like in the rny

you can eat anything but you need to make good choices , you want to eat high protein , low fat and low carb food

I eat 500-800 cal 80 gm protein , ~30 gm carbs a day

if you set a reasonable goal there is no reason you can't get to goal

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

(deactivated member)
on 12/23/13 12:28 am
Revision on 01/07/14

I understand 100% what you are feeling.  I am having revision 1/7 and have major anxiety.  I am worried about the dying part of course.  I am worried I will have complications that my insurance will not cover (I am self pay), I am worried I will go through all this and still not lose weight.

What has helped me is reading these message boards and also watching youtube videos. If you go to youtube and search "band to sleeve" or "band to VSG" you will come up with a lot of people who have posted their experiences.  These have helped me SO much. 

I think anxiety is totally normal!  

Lisa

butterfly3851
on 12/23/13 12:32 am - TX

Your fears are normal!  Remember the sleeve is just a tool to help us lose weight.  You will get hungry some - the first few weeks after surgery I just knew my surgery didn't work cause I was hungry - but it was the acid - that got better.  Prepare for some weight gain right after surgery then the dreaded two week stall.  And other stalls along the way.  

You may be a slow loser - I am - but am now 70 lbs down!  Whoo Hoo!  I'll take that slow weight loss for 9-10 months out.  This time last year I would never have guessed I'd go through the next holiday season 70 lbs down!  And I'm not at goal yet but so happy & healthy!

No, my weight does not just fall off now - be realistic in your thinking - you will have to change your lifestyle.  Just stay the course the next few months - log your food, get up and walk, follow the plan, when you get off the plan when you can eat a little more just get right back on the next day.  It works!  

Good luck to you!

Jackie T.
on 12/23/13 2:02 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

You can do this!  You need to get that band out of you.  I am not going to say that you won't have any issues/problems but it has to be better than what you are living with now.  Make sure you go to the revisions board and talk to/get reassurance from those who have gone through the same things as you.  The lap band in my opinion is the only weight loss surgery that you can fail at even if you do everything right.  Just hang in there you are almost there.  Get your head in the game and you will succeed.  I know it is not easy but I think everything goes through some anxiety when it comes to going through elective surgery but it is worth it and if you work the program like you are suppose to and truly change your lifestyle, there will be no stopping you.  Good Luck!

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Keith L.
on 12/23/13 2:05 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12
Keith L.
on 12/23/13 2:03 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I think everything you are feeling is fairly normal. I felt all those same things before my VSG. There are some very big differences between lapband and VSG that will certainly change your success at least for the 1st year. Not only will you feel restriction but the restriction is permanant. So unlike the lapband where the food drops into your stomach that is still producing ghrellin and stuff, you are full, completely. Now just like lapband, VSG does not fix your head issues. So if you still have eating issues, it is probably worth really investigating why you weren't successful with the band. There are a lot of good reasons.

I had my surgery in Mexico and my flight kept getting delayed. I almost bailed out. My doctor called me, it was like 7:30pm on a Thursday night to give me my lab results (which were always normal), my sugar was a little high and that was enough to push me to go. In my first year I lost over 180lbs. I have yo-yo'd a bit in the last couple months because I am trying to build some muscle, but I am still within a successful range and I am ultimately planning to lose some more. 

My point is that you can be as successful as you want to be. Its up to you, not the surgery but I will tell you that I think you will be far more successful with the VSG.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Keith L.
on 12/23/13 2:06 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I just thought of one more thing to add. I am something like 1 year and 3 months post op. I just finished my lunch, it was less than a cup of food and I am full, took one bite too many in fact.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

FindingMyWeigh
on 12/23/13 2:31 am
VSG on 10/30/13

It's normal to be concerned about dying in surgery...I think everyone has that OMG what am I doing moment pre-op. Have you asked your surgeon what his death rate and complication rates are compared to the National average? And specifically concerning taking out a lap-band and sleeving?   I found that once I had my mortality rate and complications rate explained to me that I was able to ease my mind and give myself over to the process. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 305 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 350 views