Im here because someone shared their story with me.

Maxine1234
on 9/17/13 2:07 pm
I saw a post here earlier about how people want to keep their surgery private, which is fine, your choice.
I guess you could say, I am one of those people who notice people with weight problems around me whom drastically have lost weight, while I myself have a weight problem can't ever seem to lose more than a few pounds and then eventually gain those pounds back plus some. I assumed that surgery was how they did it.
What i didn't assume was that it was a possibility for me until i asked someone. I may have come off as though I intended to ridicule, judge or just plain be nasty about it, however my intention was really a cry for help.
I am on this board today and I am in the wls program at kaiser because someone shared their story with me. I finally feel like there is hope and that i have an oportunity to have a healthier life because of that person.
So when someone asks me why i am working so hard and where my drive is coming from, im telling them what i am doing. I may help someone just like me.
Again..I understand completely why some chose to keep it to themselves.

Tammy S.
on 9/17/13 2:28 pm - Chandler, AZ
VSG on 01/14/13 with
I'm glad your reached out too someone so they could set you on this course. I'm just 8 months p/o & I've been very open about my WLS. I don't brag or push WLS on others but if asked I will answer honestly. I was nervous about negative comments but to date everyone has been very supportive. I can understand those that decide to keep their personal lives personal, I tend to be an over sharer lol. Best of luck with your adventure.

5'2, HW 297, SW 274, CW 124, GW 137 (goal reached 2/17/14)  

pineview01
on 9/17/13 3:13 pm - Davison, MI

I am glad you found someone to share with you and help you.  My daughter is open, I am not.  If someone with a weight problems came to me and said they had a problem and would like my help so they could be as successful, I would share with them.  A cry for help is not that hard to spot from a nasty person waiting to pounce.

Two things I never ask a person is how they are losing (after having someone tell me about a horrible condition causing the lose) and when is the baby due (and being told I'm not pg.)  Just me!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

VSG on 06/12/13
My policy: a handful of trusted friends and colleagues know the real reason I was out of work for 6 weeks, but beyond that, I talk a lot about diet, my sessions with the trainer, and my family's efforts toward clean eating. If someone asks me directly if I had surgery I will tell them the truth/full story, but nobody has yet. To someone's earlier post, I wouldn't advertise a hysterectomy or tubal ligation openly, either. I also haven't really discussed my WLS or weight loss efforts on Facebook, either.

I am glad you are here.

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Maxine1234
on 9/17/13 10:54 pm
Ya..100% agree about FB.

pineview01
on 9/18/13 11:51 am - Davison, MI

only on a private closed group where even the members don't show!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

katie L.
on 9/18/13 11:34 am

I had heard of weight  loss  surgery but never looked into it until my doctor ask if i had ever consider it. He told me to do some research and let him know what if I wanted to have the surgery. After a month I made an appointment with him told him i needed to talk to a weight loss doctor. He gave me a referral made a appt. for me to attend a meeting at a center of excel. I would tell someone who ask me about surgery that they should see there doctor. Never that i had weight loss surgery. Some people are so brave, my hat off to them for having the courage to put it all out there. i haven't gotten there yet maybe someday.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 277 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views