pre op diet

devon123
on 9/11/13 8:39 am
Okay so I am having surgery Monday and have been following my liver reduction diet religiously, I was wondering if one Italian meal one time out for my daughters birthday will hurt me? Advice?
frania
on 9/11/13 9:11 am - NY

please dont do it....you have come so far....and your gonna have surgery in a few days.....be strong....thats my advice....

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/13 9:40 am
RNY on 03/10/14

I know how you are feeling. My surgery is Tuesday and yesterday was my husband's birthday. I have to admit its was tempting to just eat with abandon one last time....DON'T DO IT. I saw my surgeon for the last time before the surgery today. What he told me was that if he can't get around the liver, they'd just close me back up and delay the surgery for at least another month! Your daughter is going to have lots of birthdays to spend with the healthier you. Hang in there! You can do it!

Scott S.
on 9/11/13 10:08 am - TX
This is a toughy. There is always that "final meal" mentality! My surgery was on a Thursday and the Saturday prior we went to dinner. At that point, I was on protein meals at night.

While I didn't eat pasta, I probably overindulged by a few 300-400 calories that night and skipped dessert and bread.

My NUT said it wouldn't be the end, but gave me the advice of trying to keep down the carbs. Some freedom for sure. Reading the Al Roker book, he went out for Ben and Jerry's the night before.

All of that being said try to discuss this with your NUT and come up with a reasonable plan. If it were me, I would go, but I would try to amend the diet to keep the pasta and breads out, and try to come close to your diet. Italian places always have a nice fish or piece of protein without breading.

This will be challenging after the surgery, but through the help of OH, I found out that people care more about what they eat than what you eat. My first lunch, I had 5 spoons of broth of a 20 dollar soup and no one noticed.

I am sure your NUT can help come up with a game plan. Good luck and good luck with your surgery!

VSG: 8/8/13 

devon123
on 9/11/13 10:30 am
Thanks everybody for your advice I am eating a salad and I'm ok with that, about same calories as the lean cuisine that I am allowed to eat. Thanks again for talking me off the ledge, lol.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 397 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 426 views