while im waiting im thinking.........

Maxine1234
on 8/31/13 1:59 am
Thinking about how i use food; reading about how other people talk about their food addictions and breaking up with their best friend.
I have been a big girl my whole life. My relationship with food, i believe, is not that i use it for comfort but that i use it to nourish my body and i love to nouri**** a lot! I like the taste of good food. Home cooked home grown food. If it smells good I want to eat it. I want to taste it..a couple times...then after i have tasted it and appreciated it, I eat more.
My stomach growels and churns all the time. Sometimes an hour after I've eaten. In order for me to diet and control my calories i have to go hungry.
I have always practiced will power.
The cafe a block from my work fire grills burgers everyday at lunch and i walk by, starting my 45 minute walk, smelling their yummy burgers. I have never eaten there. I hardly ever eat fast food. I almost never use the drive through. I usually cook all
Our meals and i pack my lunch. If i have a "don't feel like cooking" night it is usually pizza or subway. I can eat half a pizza and a footlong sando no problem.
I think over all for me its the amount of food i have to eat in order to feel satisfied, is why i am so over weight.
(deactivated member)
on 8/31/13 2:18 am

There are many reasons people overeat. You are definitely on the right track to be thinking about how you use food. I will challenge you to think even more deeply about nourishing your body. Logically you know just about how much you need to eat to actually nourish your body. Why is it that you keep eating well beyond that point? I'm guessing that's what you need to figure out. It can be a very tough question to answer and may take some time for you to figure out. That's okay. I'm almost two years out from my surgery and I still am discovering things about the way I use food.

I think you're doing just great to be looking at your food issues and how you are going to tackle them in your journey.

frisco
on 8/31/13 2:32 am

I think your not to different than many of us...... we all weren't junk foodies......

To much of a good think is bad also..... 

Which makes you a good candidate for the VSG.......

Hunger reduction and restriction are the key components with a "good" VSG.

Get you a nice "tight" sleeve and commit to the process and you should be all good !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

DreamAngel3372
on 8/31/13 2:50 am

I am japanese american. From the time I was a tot my mother cooked extremely healthy food..seaweed soup, baked chicken, sukiyaki, tofu soup, all kinds of stuff like that..along with white rice! It was good for me..but I just kept eating more and more of it.

When I moved out my eating just spiraled out of control to the point where I just ate because I liked the taste of things. So I know exactly where you are coming from.

I was sleeved on Tuesday and on liquid diet until next Wednesday ...

I can honestly tell you...I am not hungry and I am not obsessing about food either.

Everything is different now..even my brain. So..dont worry..you would be fine and no failure!

Keep your dreams alive. All things are possible for those who believe.

Maxine1234
on 8/31/13 3:17 am
I ended that short, because my walking partner showed up. Sat am walk
So where i was going with that little story was; I am obsessed with the idea that this proceedure could end the unnecessary hunger i feel all the time. Bonus would be losing weight and being able to run again or to have energy again. I had a breif moment in my life where i was down to 170 lbs and was running miles a day. But then i turned thirty and stopped.
I am so excited to join all u sleeved people. The waiting is torture!
Thank you for all your responses and encouragement.

VSG on 06/12/13
You are right. It is a weird place to be. It is a never ending source of amusement how little I eat. Food still smells wonderful. It still tastes good. But I don't want it anywhere like I used to. I feel hungry when it is mealtime, so I eat a little and I'm done. i am not sure i have renegotiated my relationship with food - food can still be dangerous if not used properly and i need to maintain that respect, but my brain and taste buds have got on board with the fact that there is a new sheriff in town and things are different now. My stomach will no longer let us do things like eat because it tastes good, or eat because there is some left.

Mst days i feel this is Twilight zone kinda stuff.

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

TexasTerritory
on 8/31/13 6:45 am
VSG on 07/22/13
I was not addicted to food yet I made poor decisions about portion control and sodas. I was weight-appropriate all of my life until I crushed my foot in a skiing accident and spent 8 months in a wheelchair. Lack of exercise and poor portion control lead to my being overweight. Now I have the sleeve and am so happy with this new life. I love not feeling hunger. I wish you luck on your journey. You'll do great.

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/13 1:11 am, edited 9/1/13 1:15 am - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12

You sound a LOT like me before VSG. I was not a major sweets or junk food eater nor was I really an emotional eater. Don't get me wrong--I did occasionally eat sweets or chips but it was OCCASIONAL. Definitely not daily nor even weekly really. Fast food only a couple times a month tops.  I was also a very regular exerciser doing high intensity workouts like P90X and Insanity.  I still ate too damn much of even healthy food and the exercise only made me more muscular--it did NOT conquer my obesity nor help me drop the pounds. My issue was always TOO MUCH FOOD TOO OFTEN.  Some of us who have had WLS are like that. I was a major VOLUME eater. I was also hungry all the time it seemed like. The VSG "fixed" my hunger switch. I have what I consider a normal person hunger or as close to it as possible as I can imagine. I get hungry at regular meal times now. I don't SEE a cupcake or bag of chips and just crave it and think I need to eat it. My kids have things like that around me all the time and I rarely want any. So I rarely WANT to eat anything naughty. I am not fighting any type of cravings. I am SATISFIED with a fixed amount of protein rich food and don't go around wishing I could have more and more. I am not ravenously hungry. I can't eat huge portions of food nor do I want to. It disgusts me to think about the large portions of food I could eat at meal times before this surgery. The VSG was exactly what *I* needed for my own personal issues.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 277 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views