Sleeve, Hiatal Hernia Repair, AND Gallbladder

jubigirl
on 8/30/13 11:16 am
VSG on 08/26/13

My journey actually began a year and a half ago and economic conditions prohibited me from being able to go through with the sleeve at that time.  In May, I started the Cigna insurance requirements all over again. 

My MD submitted paperwork and was given approval 7 business days later.  Thankfully I had completed the awful H Pylori treatment!  Worst antibiotics I've ever had to take.  During the pre op testing they discovered I had a hiatal hernia, which I've heard is pretty common.  The insurance approved both the repair and sleeve.  I FINALLY met the surgeon, Dr. Lavin.  I mentioned I had gallstones and asked how long I'd have to wait to have them removed.  (they were diagnosed last year and I chose to postpone surgery)  He said, "why not now?".   He also kinda laughed and said I was going to have the trifecta. 

After tying up some loose ends, my surgery was scheduled for August 26th, this past Monday.  I was his last case for the day since I was the most complicated.  Surgery went well and he said my gallbladder was really bad and full of stones, 2 of which were huge.  He said I should feel much better with that gone.  While in the hospital overnight, I did have some gas pain but nothing the pain meds didn't take the edge off. 

As for my stomach.... I have this odd feeling that my tummy is gurgling or that I can actually feel the liquid moving around.  Thankfully, I've never been nauseated but at times a little queasy but quickly subsides.  I took one pain pill after arriving home and Tylenol on a few occasions.  Honestly not pain, just soreness.  He was all over my abdomen and did explain that I'd be tender a little longer than those having one procedure. 

My vision has not been quite right since the surgery.  I removed the nausea patch Thursday with paper towels, making sure not to touch.  I've read up on this and hopefully when I wake in the morning my normal reading glasses will be sufficient again. 

I was actually VERY concerned about my mental state and mourned for days before my surgery regarding my dearest evil friend, food....  July 30 was my last weigh in before insurance submittal.  Between that date and my surgery, I gained 12 pounds.  I was really having Last Supper Syndrome.  I settled down a few days before surgery and did the liquid diet pre op.  I've actually been pleasantly surprised.  I don't even want food.  It's all I can do, as repeated 10,000 times on this site, to get my fluid requirements for the day.  I do find myself thirsty and the gurgling feeling actually feels like my stomach is growling???  I'm not hungry and don'[t crave anything. 

I am looking forward to each new food experience, if for nothing else, variety. 

Thanks to all who have shared their stories before me.  Reading each of them really helped me prepare for my surgery. 

Kelli

Mejennis
on 8/30/13 12:00 pm
VSG on 08/21/13
That growling and hunger feeling might be a symptom of nausea, I read it in my discharge papers. Try the nausea medsnif you have them, I had the same felling but after I took the meds I felt better

Mejennis 

jubigirl
on 8/30/13 12:31 pm
VSG on 08/26/13

Hmmmm You may be right.  I have felt queasy at times but nothing like I want to vomit, which is what I associate nausea with.  Maybe the churning is actually nausea.  The Dr. did prescribe some sublingual nausea pills.  I may try it to see if it calms.  Thanks!

Cindy B.
on 8/30/13 1:24 pm
VSG on 10/22/12

I'm glad you were able to get everything done in one surgery. It sounds like you're on the road to recovery.  The stomach gurgling is perfectly normal. Mine still makes some noise, but not nearly as much as early out.

Surgery weight 255     GW 140     CW 128

kellogal
on 8/30/13 2:45 pm

Same with me -- Hiatal hernia, gallstones and gastric sleeve....all last year. Now feeling great! Good luck to you. Take it a day at a time.  :)

~kellogal

Elaine1964
on 8/30/13 2:45 pm

I received the trifecta treatment as well! Glad to see you are doing so great. Best wishes on your journey.

Tammy

Cathy K.
on 8/31/13 12:25 am

em too, my right side was more tender then the left, very little pain.

MSSEXXC74
on 8/30/13 3:23 pm

I felt nauseous after gb removal. Every time I moved I could feel my insides moving around. Yuck it made me queezy.it stopped after all my organs settled back in.

TeacherSue
on 8/30/13 3:30 pm - Collinsville, IL

Do you think that gurgling could be gas?  I've heard they pump your insides full of air...it might be moving around???

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 267 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views