honeymoon

great.lakes.girl.
on 8/23/13 12:35 pm
Is the honeymoon period of weight lose really only 6 months long?
(deactivated member)
on 8/23/13 12:44 pm

It depends what you mean by "honeymoon".  If you are asking whether you can lose weight after six months, the answer is a resounding "yes".  If you are asking when people lose the most amount of weight (typically); it usually happens in the first six months to a year.  There have been many posts about this, so you might want to do a search on it. 

VSG on 06/12/13
I question it for sleevers. For RNY, yes, because of the intestinal rerouting - it takes that long to regrow the villi in the intestine..

Perhaps Jubjub will weigh in here, but I haven't been able to find any references to studies that indicate a confirmed certainty of increased ghrelin levels at some interval post op. I think that would be the biggest honeymoon type impact for a sleever.

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

frisco
on 8/23/13 1:10 pm

Just to keep the definition of the "Honeymoon" period clear..... 

The Honeymoon period as I know it, is referred to the first 6 months..... it is the time when WL seems to be easiest for "most".....

Does this mean you can't lose weight after that...... no

Does this mean WL can dramatically slow or even stop....yes

For most on a proper plan WL "normally" slows..... how much? It varies.......

Why:

Say you lose 75lbs. in the first six months....... Your body has to carry and move around 75 less pounds..... and plain just has to work less and is running more efficient. Now imagine if you had to carry a 75lbs. backpack around 25/7 how many more calories your body would burn?

Now combine that with being able to eat more because your sleeve has become fully healed and maturing.

Now combine that with "some" people getting lax on commitment and compliance....... treats and "moderation" and what ever else "justification" come into play because you've been so good for 6 months........

Now don't get confused...... because some idiots will read this as "frisco says your WL stops at 6 months" read again......

It gets harder after the first 6 months for "most".......

Another thing people get caught up on...... some goofy nutritional advice to increase cals the further out you get???? That's basically BS as most have to keep it tight if not go lower. 

Conclusion for "most"

Try harder after the first six months...... at 6 months you know soooo much more than when you first started...... use your knowledge and take a "smarter" approach.

But...... Don't over think it !!!!

I see a lot of people who have little to no formal guidance from a known program trying to make it up as they go along and take bits and pieces from every ones program or become googleists trying every new thing they read.....

Some truth.....

WL for "most" is the easy part....... keeping it off for the long haul...... that's where the rubber meets the road......

Keep it tight,

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

(deactivated member)
on 8/23/13 1:22 pm

It's you again, you trouble maker.  I am sure someone will post behind you about how what you said is not true and the people can lose weight past the honeymoon period.  :)

frisco
on 8/23/13 1:46 pm

No fair...... you've only seen happen like a dozen or 50 times now?

frisco

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

great.lakes.girl.
on 8/23/13 1:36 pm
What is a "smarter" approach?
great.lakes.girl.
on 8/23/13 1:43 pm
I don't mean to be silly I just want to be able to reach my goal and I want to do it smartest most sensible way possible .
frisco
on 8/23/13 1:58 pm
On August 23, 2013 at 8:36 PM Pacific Time, great.lakes.girl. wrote:
What is a "smarter" approach?

At about 6 months out you will know a lot more and have fewer questions, new normals are starting to set in and become automatic.

You have learned what it really takes to do this and as you leave the "Honeymoon"  period behind it really becomes "all you" and your WL really becomes "performance based" your results will be a reflection of your efforts.....

frisco

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

great.lakes.girl.
on 8/23/13 2:09 pm
Thank you !
Frisco I read in a post not too long ago that you accomplished losing 190 pounds by eating smart and just walk. That is phenomenal do you have any other advice besides eating low carb, low calorie and walking.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 390 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 422 views