Anyone got ideas on "Whole Food Grocery" vs. "Trader Joe's"?

G5x5
on 8/5/13 3:26 am - VA

I've scanned through both looking over the many options.  They seem somewhat comparable to me except that Whole Good Grocery gives me better option for (a) meals to go, or (b) ready to take home and cook.

Was wondering what experiences others have had with either of these options since I seem to be headed down a more health/nutrition path with the sleeve.

On a similar note, "Dang" if I'm not eating a bunch of stuff I never would've touched two months ago.  The list just keeps on growing.  It's amazing how "less picky" you become on 650 calories a day while working to keep the protein and general nutrition counts balanced...  LOL

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

rhearob
on 8/5/13 3:35 am - TN

My take - dont look at the packaged foods and ready to go meals.  Instead look for fresh ingredients that you can make yourself.  You will get better results controlling the ingredients and recipes yourself.  You will also know exactly how to log.

Most prepackaged meals are designed for soccer moms trying to lose 20 lbs.  They are really not planned for bariatric patients.  Also, when I have eaten the skinless chicken at Whole Foods - it has been drier than styrofoam in the sahara.  Overcooked is being too kind.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

themexcellentone
on 8/5/13 3:43 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

You will be better off making homemade versions of the things you find at either one of these places for the reasons Rhearob says.  Besides, making it yourself allows you to control the amounts of salt, sugar and other things that go into those pre-packaged meals. 

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

MuttLover
on 8/5/13 3:44 am
VSG on 11/14/12

Whole Foods = LOTS of $$$

Trader Joes = Less $$$

Both bring most of their prepared foods in from central locations, so not much is actually made in house.  Don't buy anything that doesn't have the nutritional info.  Most of the time Trader Joe's products do have all the nutritional info.  Not always for Whole Foods.  I very rarely buy prepared foods anymore, but as long as you read the labels and the counts match your plan, I've found that with just the two us at home, we sometimes have less waste with the prepared foods. 

But for fresh produce, it's better at Whole Foods.

Meats, mostly better at Whole Foods.

Fresh seafood = Whole Foods

Frozen seafood = Trader Joes

Happy eating!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

ParisGirl
on 8/5/13 3:50 am
VSG on 04/25/13

Whole Foods = Whole Paycheck.  I only go to WF for specialty items and even now it's a lot less often. 

Traders Joe's is also specialty items, but less expensive.  I buy some pre-seasoned raw chicken (PESTO!!!), specialty cheese, turkey jerky, chewable multi-vit, and a few things for hubs, but that's it.

You can find high quality meats at most local grocers now.  And RheaRob is right - you're better off prepping your own food.  You'll know what's in it and it'll likely be a lot 'cleaner' than pre-packaged stuff as far as nutritional content and freshness is concerned.

GOOD LUCK!

danixbanani
on 8/5/13 5:13 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

LOL can't agree with you more!  Whole Foods = a whole paycheck!

Trader Joe's is way better and more affordable in my opinion.  If you really need packaged items for "on the run" meals, TJ's has great stuff! 

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

happyteacher
on 8/5/13 6:01 am

If I had to pick one it would be Trader Joes for sure.  Their cheese prices are fantastic, and a nice selection of frozen seafood.  Be sure to take the time to really look at items there though- it is so easy to miss really great options.  Here are some of my favorites:

frozen asparagus (only $2 and cooks up great!)

frozen fish- pretty much anything

uncured chicken hot dogs (low calorie- be sure to check labels as not all of them are low cal)

tofu- they have different flavors and they are awesome to use in a quick stir fry

check out the predone stuff- there are lots of good choices that have a lot of flavor

check out the sauces- thai sauces, love their soyaki sauce, etc.- a great way to liven up the same old protein

Plan to spend some time the first time you go to really take in all of the products.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Esquared
on 8/5/13 6:20 am - CA
VSG on 06/06/13

I like to buy fresh seafood at WF and the rest at Trader Joe's - Whole Foods also has a better selection of raw and organic items and vegan/vegetarian "faux meats" that work for me, like Gardein. Both WF and TJ's have an issue with shelf life of items, which is good, but it's also a gamble buying fresh. I don't go to WF much since surgery because I can't eat Kale chips until maintenance. I know, I should probably make my own (I tried this before surgery and I definitely need a dehydrator!), but I developed an addiction to those things for a few months there. They are out until next June!

Anyway, I tend to agree that cooking is the way to go.

"I am what I am not yet." - Maxine Greene

linzeelee
on 8/5/13 6:42 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

To me they are very different stores. I also call Whole Foods "Whole Paycheck". I really only go there for my cosmetic products because I'm allergic to a lot of chemicals. I think they have some good stuff there; I'm just unwilling to pay their prices.

I love Trader Joe's meat, seafood, cheese, even produce. My absolute favorite is their frozen jumbo sea scallops.

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

edelu
on 8/5/13 7:28 am - los angeles, CA

It depends how much processed food you eat.  In terms of raw ingredients, whole foods hands down is the choice.  I don't like Traders cheese, meat, fresh seafood or produce.  Also choice is better at Whole Foods.  I can't speak to frozen foods but people tend to like Traders choices both in price and selection.

Good luck

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views