Surgery in 3 weeks.... Scared!

Metamorphosis1
on 8/3/13 12:01 am
I start my 3 weeks of no food ... Only 5 "ensures" a day. I am a little worried about that but am quite terrified about the surgery itself. I had an unsuccessful lap band experience ( putting it nicely!) and so I am so afraid that this won't go well and because its irreversible ... There's nothing I can do about it. I have 200 pounds ( yes ... I said 200 pounds!) to lose and so I KNOW I have to do something more than I am doing.

Some days I am so excited about the surgery and other days I am absolutely petrified! Today is the petrified day!

So... Any advice, encouragement or kick in the butt would be appreciated!

Ps- how did the 3 weeks of no food ( ie optifast, ensure or whatever you were on) go for you?? Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.!!

princesswimmer24
on 8/3/13 12:12 am - VA
VSG on 08/05/13

My surgery is on Monday and I'm scared! Funny thing is, it almost got cancelled yesterday because I have been battling an intestinal bug of some sort, but since there is no infection the surgeon is going through with it. So, yesterday I was terrified they were going to postpone it and today I'm terrified because they didn't lol

As far as the pre-op diet, I think staying busy and drinking tons of water is a big help! Good Luck!!

Deckeriv
on 8/3/13 12:44 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

Being scared is perfectly normal. Don't beat yourself up. Keep your eye on the horizon looking out one year to eighteen months after the surgery when you will be down that 200 lbs. This surgery really works and as long as you are committed, you will succed.

The pre-op diet sucks the first three days. You will get a headache about day two but it will go away pretty quickly. If you drink a lot of water, between the ensures, you will do fine. And I mean a lot of liquid. I was drinking about 128 ounces a day. I tried to stay full of water to combat any hunger feelings but honestly, after three days, my hunger went away. I was doing four GNC Total Lean 25 shakes a day mixed with water and it was fine.

I lost 41 pounds during the pre-op diet which lasted a little over a month because of a slight delay in my surgery date. The first week was cool when I lost 15 pounds...obviously it was water but it still was fun to fit into my clothes a little better.

You won't fail if you are committed. The lap band failed a lot of people. The success rate is much better with the sleeve and you won't have some foreign object in your body. Good luck.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

cappy11448
on 8/3/13 12:44 am

It is normal to be nervous before surgery.  I delayed my decision to have WLS until I was in my 60's and very seriously limited by my weight.  And in the end, the surgery was so easy compared to my fears.  I had 210 pounds to lose, and I've lost 110 already.  My health is so much better, my energy and mobility have improved miraculously.  Imagine yourself 6 or 9 months out and down 100 pounds!  It is quite feasible if you make the commitment and stick to the plan. 

I wish you well on your weight-loss journey.  I know it is scary, but I also see the other side.  You will be so happy you did this for yourself and your health.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

mickeymantle
on 8/3/13 2:26 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

my hubby thought I was going to sneak out after the surgeon made me re read the paper that said if medically necessary they could switch to open surgery , then I went to the bathroom , but the surgeon and my hubby explained that that was only if something came up and it wasn't likely

everyone was scared to have the surgery , but i am almost 2 weeks out and have to be reminded to eat or drink

I had almost no pain and was walking in a few hours which helped the little gas pain I had

my surgeon says he has never lost a patient and he has done thousands of wls's

only a few of his patients have had major complications but they had major medical problems to start with, bad liver, lots of scaring from lap band

this surgery is very safe , much safer than weighing more than 200 lbs to much

I am also a heavy weight , but every piece of cloths I own now hangs on me

I have fallen in the past and hurt myself  with a lot more pain than this surgery , I had trouble walking and that is getting better 

try to relax and think of all the great things you will be able to do that you can't now

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Liz C.
on 8/3/13 4:27 am - Pacific Grove, CA

The surgery day will FLY by....they keep you so busy with all the little pre-op things that morning and then they juice  you with some nice drugs that make you not care (request it from your anesthologist, ask for versed or something like it, there are many) (I can atest to this since my first surgery a few years ago I was pertrified, but soon as I got that drug, I was the most cooperative, relaxed patient ever...it's amazing!) Then they take you to surgery, which you likely won't even rememember (the drugs also "relax' your memory, so to speak, LOL) and there's some nice  person asking you to breath deep. next thing you know you are waking up in a fog with nurses working around you making sure you are comfy and taking vitals. The nurses are  your friends and will take great care of you! if it helps, take a teddy bear with you..my first surgery I did...a darling clown bear a dear friend brought me for that purpose...no one made fun of me and the staff loved it...the bear got his own surgery tag on  his foot and they made sure he was near me, he even went to surgery with me. Another thing....I used a pre-surgery WONDERFUL CD by a lady. She does guided imagery and such for pre-surgical listening. It'll help, and even put you to sleep. I had them put it on my when I went to surgery and it played throughout the surgery. or so they tell me, LOL. Here's the info, it's available on Amazon-GET IT, I guarantee it will help with the anxiety!

A Meditation to Promote Successful Surgery Audiobook CD– January 1, 1992

by Belleruth Naparstek(Author) Anyway, good luck, and good weight loss. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. The worst part is the anticipation, I guarantee you! Breathe deep, use your courage and determination, and GET THAT CD!!  

laughingeyes

Lisas-Ltl-Sis
on 8/3/13 4:50 am

You'll do fine with the pre-op.....I had a 2 week preop, and doing good after the first few days.....those first couple of days I found myself reaching for things......luckily I caught myself.....tomorrow I start my 2 day liquid diet......these 2 weeks have gone so very fast.

tysmom01
on 8/3/13 5:49 am - MS
VSG on 08/12/13

So sorry about your unsuccessful lap band. But I think you're making the right choice by choosing the sleeve. I think being excited then sacred is totally normal. I know I am the same way and I'm pretty sure most everyone on here has felt the same way. I have my surgery 8/12. I'm currently on day 6 of my diet. The first 2-3 days were tough due to being hungry. But now I'm cruising along. I haven't experience the headaches that some have mentioned. May be partly due to I didn't drink caffeine regularly before starting but I'm not sure on that.  My diet initially consisted of protein shakes, broth, and SF jello/popsicles. But the 3rd day my doctor added lean protein meat such as tuna and deli turkey. Reason being is because I'm only able to drink one shake due to being so darn sweet. And I'm exercising regularly so not getting enough protein in. Once you get past the first few days, you will do fine! And you CAN get past those days kiss You've already made the choice to begin the journey and the diet is just a small step toward victory!!! Good luck to you!!

Age: 34 ~ Height: 5'5 ~ HW: 287 (7/28/2013) ~ SW: 272 ~ GW: 150 ~ Goal weight met 8/9/2014  

Metamorphosis1
on 8/3/13 6:15 am
Thank you everyone for your feed back! Much appreciated. My preop diet is 5 ensures daily, unlimited sugarfree beverages and water. With my lap band I could have veggies but with this surgery there is nothing but the above. I think after the first few days it will be ok!

Best wishes to all of you.
Luvmylilboy
on 8/3/13 6:38 am - VA
VSG on 04/11/13

I was terrified that I wouldn't wake up after the surgery.  Irrational, I know, but I have a 6 year old son and I was so afraid of something happening and me not being here for him.  I decided what was even scarier than the surgery was to continue living life at 254 lbs!  One of the best decisions I have ever made!

You will do great!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 301 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 348 views