? for those that eat protein bars

carebear7391
on 7/16/13 4:48 am - Wilmington, DE

Good afternoon.... I must say I very much appreciate this board.

I lurk lots, I need to learn to post.. It will help me lots when I ask for help!!!

OK.  I read through the topic of what people are eating today and I see some people are eating different kinds of protein bars/drinks.  I have a question to ask, as other then the protein I get from chicken/beef/fish/beans, I cannot stomach protein drinks.  The smell gets to me.

What are some good protein bars (that do not smell bad) that taste good??

Also, are there protein drinks out there that you can't smell.  The protein powder smell just turns my stomach.

Thanks!!

Sarah W.
on 7/16/13 5:09 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 09/27/12
If you're going to eat them some people say the quest bars are ok.

I will keep 1 of the giant detour bars with me in my bag and a baggie b/c I only eat half of it.

I buy those b/c they aren't my gateway food. Some people have to be careful with the protein bars b/c for some people they are a slippery slope.

I have a box of the slim4life lemon bars on my desk and I will eat one every other week or so. But they are high in carbs. And I notice I can eat them quickly. That is probably why they taste amazing to me. So after this box is gone I won't buy them again.

Sarah 5'3" VSG 9/27/12 KC Bariatric Center. Find me on MFP! Sarah829522.  

mimij
on 7/16/13 5:11 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

I would not suggest using protein bars during weight loss, but others may have used them and may have a different opinion, so you may want to temper my opinion with that of others and your own. They are high in carbs, even the ones with the best protein to carb ratio, are processed food and may trigger cravings. Most people on this forum choose Quest Protein bars. During weight loss you should be getting your protein from lean, dense protein sources. If you are in the phase where you are still using protein powders to make shakes, you may need to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

justpete
on 7/16/13 5:28 am
VSG on 04/02/13

the quest bars are good for occasional use, but not really a good substitute for meat or protein shakes.  the calories/protein is too high

protein bar is about 180 cals for 20 protein

shake is about 100 cals for 20-25g protein

chicken breast 100 cals for 20 protein

the bonus for the quest bars though is that they also come with a a bunch of fiber.  I try to keep myself to half bar every day or 2.

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

linzeelee
on 7/16/13 6:29 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

I have been eating Quest bars because shakes were making me feel ill for awhile (that is worn off a bit, so I am adding a shake a day now). Due to my restriction, it is still not possible for me to take in enough protein with meats and other food alone. I need at least one bar or shake per day, and 2 makes my life a lot easier.

Some people find bars to be a trigger food, a food that makes them want carbs. That has not been the case for me. The fiber also helps me be more regular. Even if I eat a Quest bar every day, my total carb count is always under 40. My favorite is the chocolate chip cookie dough. Peanut butter chocolate, brownie and apple pie are also decent.

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

carebear7391
on 7/16/13 7:23 am - Wilmington, DE

Thank You!! Every one *****sponded...

Keith L.
on 7/16/13 7:45 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

You are over generalizing a bit. There are several different kinds of protein and they all smell different. I don't think the bars smell at all. My cookie dough bar smells like cookie dough.

You may be referring to how whey protein smells and it does have a distinct odor. But there are other kinds like egg white protein that I don' think has much of an odor, chocolate smells like chocolate, vanilla like vanilla. There is soy protein, beef protein, pea protein, hemp protein, and thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

poundsoff
on 7/16/13 8:10 am
VSG on 01/24/13

If you must have a protein bar - not highly recommended to do so though - try Atkins Chocolate Chip.  Almost takes like a Snickers Bar without all the extra filling.  Healthy food is better for you rather than all the filler in protein bars.

I use GNCs chocolate protein powder for 20 grams protein and is mixed with 4 ounces of water- just add ice to make it ice cold . - Tastes like Nestles Quik - very good.  There is really no smell...give it a try.

abbeycat43
on 7/16/13 8:35 am - MO
VSG on 06/12/13
edelu
on 7/16/13 10:36 am - los angeles, CA

Please look for whey protein shots in the search engine before you rely on these for your protein needs.  We don't metabolize these as protein. At four weeks post op i'd suggest you find another source of protein.  But please do read the wealth of information from former posters on this.

Cheers.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 286 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 337 views