Non chocolate protein bars?

KnitsByMama
on 6/10/13 12:03 pm - MO
VSG on 10/16/12

So, I have protein bars. Without them I stink at hitting goals. My prefered are Doctors Carbrite & Detour bars. 

What I'm looking for is a bar that is NOT chocolate or have chocolate on/in it. 

I run and I need a bar after or before a run some times, the chocolate upsets my stomach when I run, therefore I'd like to find one that is more of a granola type bar, but again, NO chocolate, and HIGH protein, low carb of course. 

Any suggestions? The only one I know about is Recharge Foods Apple/Rasperry bar but it's high on carbs & calories for only 8gms of protein. 

Help?

Keith L.
on 6/10/13 12:20 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Quest Bars. Lots of flavors, no chocolate. Well the cookie dough has chocolate in it. I like the coconut cashew a lot. 

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

KnitsByMama
on 6/10/13 12:24 pm - MO
VSG on 10/16/12

I've tried Quest, tried to like them, really did. Even microwaved them......the texture is gross to me. 

Keith L.
on 6/10/13 1:00 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

That's a shame they have a lot of fiber in them. Most of the other bars I can think of are loaded with carbs. 

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

(deactivated member)
on 6/10/13 1:55 pm
VSG on 06/04/12
I really like the Banana Nut Muffin quest bars. Did you buy your bars local? I ask because the ones at my local Vitamin Shoppe seem to have sat on the shelf for a while and are much harder. When I purchase online it seems like the bar is much fresher and not quite so "chewy". The Banana Nut Muffin is part of their natural line.
MacMadame
on 6/10/13 4:02 pm - Northern, CA

Even if they tasted yummy, all that fiber is probably incompatible with long distance running. At least all the articles I read about endurance nutrition warns about eating high fiber stuff right before a long run or race.

Have you looked at the Kind bars? They have a few varieties that have +Protein in the name and are okay stat-wise for a bar to eat as part of fueling exercise.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

KnitsByMama
on 6/12/13 10:42 pm - MO
VSG on 10/16/12

Just wanted to share that I found something that will work for me, FINALLY!

It's called The Simply Bar. No chocolate, no coating, just a granola type bar. 

Stats are really good, protein/calorie wise. I generally don't worry about carbs on run days, if I don't eat enough carbs on run days I get dizzy and have fainting spells. Nurse has insisted that since everything else w/ me is normal it's that on run days I don't eat enough calories/carbs to sustain myself since I burn so much. So on a normal day I eat about 600 calories, but on run days I bump that up to around 900 calories w/ a protein bar + either an extra protein shake or meat. The Simply Bars are quite good too! Just thought I'd toss that out there in case anyone else was looking for them. 

The Simply Bar

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 300 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 347 views