Incision Bandaids/Coverings

BREAZA
on 5/5/13 3:55 am
VSG on 04/24/13
How many days after your surgery did the incision bandaids or drain covering come off? I couldn't be without showering so I think they may have come off sooner. Just curious.
Cindy B.
on 5/5/13 4:26 am
VSG on 10/22/12

When I came home from the hospital, I had tape, sort of like steri strips on my smaller incisions and gauze with tape over the biggest one. I was allowed to shower in the hospital with the drain tube still in the day after surgery, but came home with it out. I was allowed to shower as usual, but not to bathe, swim or use a hot tub until the incisions had all healed, which took about a month. I was told to let the tape strips come off on their own, which took a couple of weeks for them to all fall off. The stitches dissolved under the tape. I was told to change the gauze daily but not to use any Neosporin or anything on the incision. As it healed and stopped oozing, I just put a Bandaid on the largest incision. I hope this answers your question.

Surgery weight 255     GW 140     CW 128

Deckeriv
on 5/5/13 4:28 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

I was showering the next day. The steri strips came off about two weeks after, the glue started about week three and the scabs came off at about a month.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

A. Robinson
on 5/5/13 6:33 am - Columbia, TN
VSG on 04/29/13
When I had my surgery Monday, I had no drain & the incisions were covered in dermabond & that's all. They told me to just shower as usual & no neosporin on them. They did seem to bruise around them. I don't know if it was from coughing or not.
justpete
on 5/5/13 6:51 am
VSG on 04/02/13

if they are steristips, you are good to shower with them for 2 weeks at least.  if they start to come off at the ends, you can trim to save from accidental ripping off.  :)

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

Jackie T.
on 5/5/13 8:23 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

Each of mine came off at different times.  Showering was never a problem.  I was told they could stay on up to two weeks.  I had one that came off after 3 or 4 days and there was not drainage, so I just left it alone and it did fine.

Jus****ch them and make sure they are kept clean and you should be okay.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 98 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 324 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 368 views