Question regarding exercise for those of you with little ones

danigirl42
on 4/10/13 12:35 am - PA
VSG on 01/02/13

I'm trying to figure out a plan for some extra workouts at home. (I walk everyday at lunch)  It's too difficult for me to get to a gym.  My hubby works shift work so his schedule is always wackado and I can't rely on him to watch our 1 and 3 year old daughters so that I can go on a regular basis.  Since I don't get home from wor****il 5p, the time between 5p and 8p is rather precious mommy/daughter time.  I've been walking to pick the girls up since the weather has been nice and daycare is a few blocks away.

I've been thinking I could start some kind of home routine in the am before work and before the girls get up.  I typically get up at 6:30 but I could adjust that depending on my routine.  Does anyone have some suggestions that work for them?  I am thinking about mixing my pilates dvd and maybe Zumba/Just Dance Kinect games?

Any ideas I might not have thought of?  Thanks!!!

Shagdoll
on 4/10/13 1:47 am

It you wanna try a kick ass workout in less than 30 minutes, I recommend Julian Michael's 30 Day Shred.  It's worth every 27.5 minutes!!!  I have been lazy to get back to it but it was perfect for when I put the kids to bed. 

Jenn  

WWBD?  

shrinking_sarah
on 4/10/13 3:43 am - CA

I really hate to say this because I know the mommy guilt is a killer and it is HARD to exercise with small kids, but I really REALLY suggest you join a gym that has child care.  It is hard to get there, and it takes away from the time you have with your children right now, but the impact of the workout when you do a group class vs. something on your own/on machines is so much better (in my experience).

I have a wii fit and have done the dance games.  They are better than nothing.  But I burn at least 3X the calories if I go to a vigorous class at the gym.  I hear great things about Insanity and P90X.  I just find the social aspect of a group exercise class forces me to work harder.

I have never been able to sustain going early (like 5 a.m.), but that is another option if you think you can do it. 

Maybe find a workout friend who is willing to do the videos with you?

If at home works for you, by all means go for it.  But one of the things I have learned in my first 3 months out (and am still struggling with) is that I HAVE to put my needs first to be successful, and I have to be successful to be her for my kids long-term.  If guilt is what is stopping you from trying group exercise or a gym, try to let it go.  It is also good for your girls to see that Mommy takes care of herself.

Sarah, VSG Dr. Cirangle--12/28/12, HW: 265 SW: 253 GW: 130???

danigirl42
on 4/10/13 3:55 am - PA
VSG on 01/02/13

Don't feel bad - you are right.  I do need to put myself first.  DAMN mommy guilt.  I hadn't thought of gym daycare.  I'll have to explore some more options.

shrinking_sarah
on 4/11/13 12:13 am - CA

If you have access to a YMCA they are the most reasonably priced option I've found (with daycare--it is included, whereas at other gyms you pay extra for care that isn't as good, imho).  They even offer financial aid, and they have programs for kids, too.

mnmommaof2
on 4/10/13 7:31 am
VSG on 11/23/12

It's hard with kids!  I totally get it.  I would love a gym with daycare... unfortunately there is nothing local.  Getting outside with the kids is a great idea, I do the same thing.  I have couch to 5k on my phone and when push comes to shove I throw my three year old in a stroller and off we go.  You get a way harder workout when you add in the stroller!  My seven year old runs circles around me so she has no issue keeping up.  I also have a kid cart that attaches to the back of my bike, so biking is an option too (again better workout when I haul a kid). A side effect of working out with your kids is that growing up they will think of it as normal behavior, and will be more apt to lead active lifestyles. 

Other than that, I often wake up early or stay up late if I'm going to do a DVD workout.  I really like DDP yoga... Jillian always kicks your butt... and throwback Tae Bo is fun too.  The trick is finding a way to incorporate working out into your daily grind..and then sticking with it!..   

Highest weight 279.8

Surgery weight 268 

danigirl42
on 4/10/13 10:38 pm - PA
VSG on 01/02/13

Thanks!  Those are great ideas too!  I'm going to look into the bike trailer thing.  I think my girls would love that!  I haven't been on a bike in years!

shrinking_sarah
on 4/11/13 12:15 am - CA

There you go!  It matters less WHAT you do than that you find something that works for you!  It may take some trial and error before you find what that is, but you'll get there!

I used to have some dvds where you used your baby as weight for exercise.  Sounds like your kids are not infants, so you might have to work up to it, but you can totally bench press a toddler, lol!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 304 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 350 views