Extra. Dessert delights sugar free gum..

christinahelena
on 3/26/13 5:33 am, edited 3/26/13 7:23 am - CA

Okay, if you are NOT supposed to chew gum ( and please ask your doctor but usually not allowed early out in case you swallow it) please WAIT.

I've been accused of having my " crutches" but as a former grazer who is currently majorly p m s ing... Sometimes a crutch is what I need to get me through!

Check out this sugar free gum in apple pie flavor, lemon bar flavor and root beer float flavor !!! Tastes just like a root beer float or piece of pie...

So when I feel like succumbing to my kids cookies or muffins etc... Chewing a piece of gum gets me past it without any real damage!

Please don't post and tell me I just shouldn't want candy or desserts. Yay, right! Thats why we all use sf torani syrups in our coffee!! If I sound defensive, well... I got blasted on here once for saying I craved peanut butter ( the flavor not the substance) and I'm being honest and real!   I'm hearing from very successful vets who are struggling, food is everywhere! It is a battlefield some days!!     I just got my kids chocolate chip muffins at panera, last night I smelled tacos from fast food, and four days ago orange chicken from panda express filled the car for 20inutes!!! Yes, it's JUST food. And I did not have a bite of any of them! So, if my 2 carb piece if gum gives me s little taste of something I will totally accept responsibility for my crutch!

It's a better alternative to the 400 calorie cookies I was eyeing at panera bread and WALKED away from

Be WARNED.. Each piece is 2 carbs and 5 calories... You cannot chew a whole pack!  YOU NEED TO COUNT IT AND LOG IT.  If this will trigger you stay away!!!!!!    But if you, like me are already feeling weak and triggered constantly and this will HELP YOU STAY THE COURSE and stay away from the crap... I thought I'd share!

At our last support group mtg my dr actually recommended sugar free gum to keep from grazing.... Sometimes it's mint, sometimes it gives me a few sweet moments after my protein meal and it releases me from cravings. We're all adults and so we all have to decide how to handle these substitution things in ways that support our weight loss and not hinder it.

For example... Many use Quest Bars... I unfortunately am totally triggered by them, don't get full on a whole dang bar like I do on 4 shrimp and started acting like a quest bar junkie... Had to go cold turkey and throw them away! The gum I can handle!
Wishing you all the best on this journey!!

Christina

frisco
on 3/26/13 5:52 am

I bought those for JenChap one time.......told her I bought her Apple Pie.....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

christinahelena
on 3/26/13 5:58 am, edited 3/26/13 7:23 am - CA

Frisco, you're so sweet! Dang ig if it doesnt taste just like one! I remember watching the Jetsons  and thinking someday our meals will be like tasty pills its kinda like that!
Still in Italy??
We missed you at the mtg!
Christina

AmberK
on 3/26/13 6:01 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with

Hey, you gota do what ya gota do!  Anyone who says they don't crave something, will eventually. I'm not going to tell you not to crave things or that your wrong to crave things, it just happens. I just want to give you a little warning about the gum on a personal experience. 

I too was eating the heck out of the lemon one! I would chew like 7 or 8 pieces a day. What I didn't realize is that there are two carbs for EVERY piece cool So, when my carbs I thought were high, they were actually about 20 higher! no wonder I was not loosing. So, to just keep chewing non stop is not a good habit, but to have a piece every once in a while to help with some temptations that are around,  I get it. 

I just wanted to post this so that newbies understand that it DOES have CARBS and it can hinder your WL if you use much of it in a day (like I did!) 

VSG 3/07/12     HW:260   SW: 249   CW:164  

christinahelena
on 3/26/13 7:08 am - CA

Thanks Amber-  I did post that at the bottom if you read my post, 5 calories and 2 carbs per piece so dont chew a whole pack thinking its "free". You have to count it and log it like everything else!   Alas-  the only freebie is water :)

Christina

Shagdoll
on 3/26/13 6:07 am

I love the Lemon Bar flavor.  Apple Pie is yummy too!!!  Tastes like the real deal ... but lasts only a couple minutes but hey, for practically no calories, I'll take it!!!

There is a rainbow sherbet & mint chocolate chip ice cream flavor too!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

christinahelena
on 3/26/13 7:20 am - CA

Hi Jenn-

Pm me if you can, I tried to send you a message but it said it was private and wouldnt let me. I wanted to ask you a couple of questions :)

I find that the rootbeer fades to a cinnamony flavor that lasts awhile..... for me- its just a plan, a pack in my car and a pack in my purse, and if I want to eat some off plan crap, popping that in my mouth buys me time to think about my goals etc.... and gives me some satisfaction for chewing and taste....and helps buy me the sanity I need to just not go there! 

Now if they'd make a peanut butter cookie flavor I'd be golden.... craved it when I was 6 weeks post op, had a "taste" of one in disneyland (who I swear make 2000 calorie cookies).. and have been craving it ever since.  Someone once said- sometimes you just have to satisfy the craving and give in- so a month or 6 weeks later- I did and had me a smaller pb cookie somewhere else-  NOPE, didnt satisfy me, didnt stop the craving, only made me want another one and left me with too many carbs in my system! What is the dealio with one stupid taste of flavor becoming this "thing"... so silly,  ....sometimes something gets a hold of you! 

So- anyways,  could n't handle the quest in the attempt to satisfy the pb craving,  I use pb2 in non fat ricotta but I think its not the same- I crave the real deal and just have to say no.

I cannot do quest though-some people think they taste horrible-I unfortunately find that all bars trigger me to want more bars. Period. Now-  the gum is just a little taste, find it satisfying and I'll take 2 carbs and 5 calories any day over the 160-200 and 25 carbs in a bar,n o matter how much protein is packaged with it. Just because it derails me and the gum does not.  That is the secret for all of us- figuring out what derails us and what helps us...because it is very different for everyone I think.

message me when you can please :)

Christina

Shagdoll
on 3/26/13 7:25 am

I will message you right after this post.  :-)

A peanut butter cookie flavor ... dang, wouldn't that take care of our PB problem!!?? 

And here I just went to my favorite little low carb shoppe to stock up on Quest Bars.  I might be kicking myself in the booty if they trigger me.  The Quest PB cups didn't but the protein bars did.  Hey, have you tried those PB cups yet?  You might want to.  They are a little dry but for 20 grams of protein per serving & all the good stuff it has to offer, might be worth it!

But exactly!!!  We all need to find out what works best for us.  Maybe I need to email Wrigley's to see if they can make a PB cookie or PB & J flavor ... OMG!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

(deactivated member)
on 3/26/13 7:34 am - Oshawa, ON, Canada
VSG on 01/28/13
I *love* the mint chocolate chip flavour. We don't have it here in Canada so I'm always dependant on my friends to bring it back for me when they go state side.
Crabadams72
on 3/26/13 8:03 am - Silver Spring, MD
I love to chew gum but they give me terrible gas.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 88 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 301 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 348 views