Anyone try this?

Deckeriv
on 3/19/13 9:15 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

I read where some anesthetists put a Dramamine patch on you when they put you under to help with the nausea but I know that isn't going to work in the hour or two before you wake up. It has to be in your system ahead of time.

I went on a cruise to Alaska this past summer and used an over the counter drug called Bonine. You start it a day or two before you get on the boat. Worked great and never had a problem with seasickness.

What are your thoughts about taking Bonine a couple of days before surgery? I know one answer is to ask the surgeon, but I was just wondering if anyone had tried anything like that?

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

shess1025
on 3/19/13 9:17 am - Novato, CA
They put one on me just before surgery...I kept it on 3 days...I didn't experience any nausea.
emelar
on 3/19/13 9:20 am - TX

Do you mean a scopolamine patch?  I've always put them on right as I'm getting on the boat.  I've never heard that they need time to get into your system and never had a problem with them.  I had a patch for surgery.  No nausea.  Of course, I don't know how much of that was the patch!

I've never tried Bonine.

Kcdietz
on 3/19/13 9:27 am - GA
They put mine on when they put in my IV. Maybe an hour before surgery. No nausea here. The also gave me something thru the IV.

MuttLover
on 3/19/13 10:32 am
VSG on 11/14/12

I am the Queen of Queasy.  I had the patch on for a couple of hours before surgery, extra drugs during and after surgery, and I still had a little nausea post-op.  Not much, I think I started to have the dry heaves as soon as I woke up and they pumped me full of more drugs.  It was pretty much gone by the next day.  I think I was the only patient who wasn't taking any pain meds -- just begging to be pumped full of more anti-nausea drugs!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

PhillyGator
on 3/19/13 10:35 am

To be honest with you, as a nurse and currently in grad school, I wouldn't take any medication or OTC before any surgery I have without alerting the doctors. There's a lot of interactions that we have no idea about. Do you have a pre-op appointment? I had a meeting with the anesthesiologist at mine and I would perhaps bring your concerns about nausea up and talk to them about what they usually do and your idea.

I'm just not one to play around with things before anesthesia. I think I know too much sometimes. haha

http://weightnolongerajourney.blogspot.com/

Deckeriv
on 3/19/13 10:46 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

I do agree with you. I did enough research to find out that they usually use a scopolamine patch but they put it on only an hour before surgery. You are supposed to put it on 4 hours before travel but the night before if using it to abate nausea related to surgery.

So I've sent my patient coordinator an email to get it cleared for me and get me a script so I can put it on the night before. I can't imagine dry heaving right after being cut.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

PhillyGator
on 3/19/13 11:00 am

That's a good idea!

I know I didn't get a patch, but I do quite clearly remember going for a walk around the unit later that day and walked a little too fast and started to dry heave in the hallway. Needless to say, I asked for my Dilaudid right on time. haha After that, I learned my lesson and took everything slowly.

Good luck!

http://weightnolongerajourney.blogspot.com/

BayouMama
on 3/19/13 2:48 pm
My Md scripted me a scopolamine patch to apply the night before with one refill if I needed it post op, I didn't use the post op one. I am very sensitive to motion sickness and n/v from meds, I did have some intense nausea and it was even worse after liquid lortab, including some dry heaves. So i just stopped taking the lortab.
JerseyGirl_1213
on 3/19/13 11:02 am

They put a scopalomine patch on me about an hour or so before surgery.  They also gave me anti nausea meds via IV before, during and after surgery every 4 hours during the entire day and a half I was there.  I still dry heaved the entire time. :(   Everyone is different though.  Hopefully, you won't experience any nausea at all!  Good luck on your upcoming surgery.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 239 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 309 views