surgery in MEX....do you need a passport or just birth cert 2 cross the boarder?

nvr2l82strt
on 1/11/13 8:36 am - puyallup, WA

I am thinking of having surgery in mexico...since my insurance didn't approve me here in the U.S.....Do you  need a passport or just your birth certificate to travel abroad? I'm thinking of having my surgery with Dr. Ramos Kelly.....does anyone know if he's got a good rep for VSG's?

pineview01
on 1/11/13 8:37 am, edited 1/11/13 8:51 am - Davison, MI

There is a lot of info on the Mexico boards for you to check out.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/mexico/

I was going to go if I couldn't win with the insurance.  Yes, you need a passport.  BC doesn't get it anymore

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Janetisshrinking
on 1/11/13 8:40 am

Two weeks ago today, I was in the hospital in Piedras Negras, MX. My experience with Dr. Alvarez was great and, to answer your question, you will need a passport.  It took about a month to get mine, so plan ahead for that.

Good luck!

nvr2l82strt
on 1/11/13 8:41 am - puyallup, WA

hah! Thx.....very helpful link!

skinnymandi
on 1/11/13 9:03 am - TX
VSG on 12/01/12 with

Had mine with Dr. Alvarez 12/1/12 and yes, you will need it when you cross back into U.S.

My husband did the expedited service and got his in 3 weeks. I did mine in normal time and got it in 4 weeks.

Cindy B.
on 1/11/13 9:21 am
VSG on 10/22/12

Yes, you will need a passport, but you can get a passport card (which is a little cheaper) if you aren't flying into Mexico. I got mine in 2 1/2 weeks, which I think was super fast.

AppyGrl
on 1/11/13 11:40 am
VSG on 01/23/13

Get your passport and in a year you can take your slim self on a cruise with that passport!

pineview01
on 1/11/13 11:47 am - Davison, MI

Your my kind of girl. Great minds!

I just got off a 21 day two days before Christmas.  I had kept the weight from having my band removed until then, 20+  Last year while banded I lost 2lbs on a 14 day.  Looking to cruise sleeved and thinner next year!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Calking
on 1/11/13 6:10 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

Great choice on the surgeon.  He did mine and I couldn't be happier.  I have read on here about various experiences and issues with pain.  The only pain I had to speak of was the gas pains.  I had surgery on a Thursday and was discharged Friday about 3pm.  Only had to take 1 pain pill early evening.  Saturday was 2 pain pills all day.  Sunday I took my last pain pill for this whole experience.  I expected much more pain based on what I read on here.  I truly believe that Dr. Heider's skill was the reason that I got along so well.  

There were only 2 negatives I experienced but neither was due to Dr. Heider or his surgery.  After you wake up and until you get a leak test ... no water.  They will give you a cup with ice and a little sponge on a stick that tastes awful.  You can dip the sponge to get it wet and then wet your lips ... nothing more.  This wasn't pleasant.  Second thing is the leak test stuff they have you drink.  It isn't the barium that you have with an Upper GI.  It is 100 times worse.  After you use it you can't have any water or wa**** down until after the leak test has been seen by Dr. Heider and he releases the results and then you get lunch.  Jello, Ice Tea, Broth, and something else that I can't seem to remember.  Of course it is only liquids that you will be cleared for at that point.  As you know you have gotten a large binder with all the instructions you will need.  Follow that book and you will be good to go.  

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 283 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views