Losing too much too fast?

rissa1224
on 12/9/12 9:38 pm - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12
Hi! Just curious. I lost 20lbs since Tuesday (surgery Wednesday) is that a lot in such a small amount of time? Maybe once I add yogurt and pudding today (5 days post op and seem to be doing awesome with clears) it will slow down? Ordered my unjury so I hope it comes fast.

rissa1224
on 12/9/12 9:57 pm - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

Also, I have no problem getting liquids down but I havent had ANY protein. I feel myself out of breath too fast, pain in my shoulder which i assume is gas pain, and since last night I feel a little jittery and restless. I am choking down some isopure to get protein in now. I will have to run to the store tonight to get some protein powders to have on hand. I guess its my stupid for poor planning with the powder, huh. 

Italian-Princess
on 12/9/12 10:21 pm - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

Hi Rissa 

First of all, you are NOT stupid because you didn't bring in protein powders sooner.  There are many who would say you did it right because some people have taste changes.  I didn't, but a lot of people do.  So what might have sounded yummy pre-op might sound GROSS post-op.  Don't beat yourself up over something like that, okay?

No, you aren't losing too fast.  You're dropping a lot of fluid weight right now.  Most people do unless they've had a very restrictive pre-op diet and lost their fluid weight early on.  How long you were in the hospital on IVs can make a difference, too.  I was in for 3 nights and all but maybe 30 minutes of it, I was hooked up to IVs and gained 8 pounds, but lost them BOOM FAST!  LOL 

If you are able to get your fluids in, you should be okay.  Always, you have to be alert for any dehydration.  That's extremely dangerous.  Your so early out now and your first priority should be getting in your minimum 64 ounces of fluids.  Then you concentrate on the protein.  Do what you can do and don't fret at this point.  I was on clears for almost 2 weeks, and not a lot of protein, but I kept my fluid intake high and did fine.

Yes, the loss will slow down at some point.  Depending on your surgery weight, the slow down might be little or might be a lot.  Seems from what I've seen, the higher the surgery weight, the more a person loses in the early months and the lower the surgery weight, the slower the weight loss............but that's not  every case.  We are all different and will lose in our own good time.

Good luck.............and keep posting so we can see how you're doing on your journey

Ree

rissa1224
on 12/9/12 10:34 pm - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12
Thank you so much. Today I'm feeling emotional, but mainly because I can't help get ready for the holidays so its a little more stressful at home (my dad doesn't help with the situation especially with his stubbornness). I guess because last night I was feeling 'out of breath' even laying down I felt like in order to breath ok I had to take a big deep breath in, like a yawn, to feel 'satisfied' with my breathing . If that makes sense. Could be all in my head. I also felt jittery. Yesterday I woke up at 645 am and didn't even nap, I forced myself to sleep after midnight last night. I don't want the 'head' stuff to get to me and make me worry or freak out.

I am choking down a blue Isopure for my comfort with protein intake. But what you said helps. My weight was 307 post op. now I am 287. I just thought in less than a week that's too much. I was on iv from Wednesday about 730am until about 330pm Thursday when I was getting ready to go home. I do thankfully get my liquids down fine. I will continue to do that and more.

Thanks

JAlston
on 12/10/12 2:25 am
VSG on 12/07/12

Today is my first full day home, so I am working on getting in my liquids and protein by using the sample schedule I have (otherwise, I have no idea). I am drinking the Unjury chicken soup (it is my favorite, was pre-op too, it does taste a little saltier since surgery but I still love it). It has 21 gms of protein for 8 oz. So 3 of these will at least get me to my minimum goal. I have Unjury chocolate as well, might make one of those with skim milk. 

Sounds like you are doing great girl!, Keep it up! I am going to try to weigh weekly, so I don't drive myself bonkers with it. I weighed myself when I got home and that's it.

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

ruggie
on 12/10/12 4:22 am - Sacramento, CA

You're not losing too fast (you'll miss it when it slows down).  You gotta get your protein down though, that's paramount.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 136 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 395 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views