2 days out and Isopure sucks

rissa1224
on 12/7/12 5:30 am - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12
So. As typical as it is (I hope?) it's hard to get all my 64oz in plus protein. I opened the red Isopure and its gagging me. Hardly have enough liquids in but I'm trying! Filled with gas still, hardly any burps come out and nothing 'down below' still. ANY suggestions to help with protein besides this Isopure? I can make someone run to gnc for me tonight or tomorrow. GO AWAY GAS.

MuttLover
on 12/7/12 5:39 am
VSG on 11/14/12

What exactly is your plan, and how long on are you clear liquids before you go to the "full liquids."  My plan only had two days of clear liquids before moving to full liquids -- and the goal in those two days was to maintain hydration.  So basically, I watered down the Isopure and did not worry about getting in protein, since it was only two days.

Full liquids included greek yogurt, protein shakes, etc. -- so I basically waited out the two days drinking broth, water and watered down Isopure, jello and popsicles until Day 3 when I could have shakes, etc.

I did have a grape drink called Protein Blitz which came in Arctic grape and a grape PowerAde which I mixed with grape KoolAid.  That was barely tolerable.

How many days of clear liquids before you move to full liquids?

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

Rita M.
on 12/7/12 5:40 am - Webster, MA

I read in a post that GNC now offers protein shots. High in protein and not too much to get down. Not sure what the name is but if you say protein shots I am sure they know what you mean. Also, I love Unjury powder which you can only order online. I am such a chocloholic and so I order the calssic chocolate which tastes just like real chocolate milk. The also have chicken soup which you make with warm or ho****er and I have an unflavored one to throw in to other things I can eat to meet my protein intake. 

I like the Isopure but only the Alpine punch and blue raspberry flavor. I can handle those.

Hope that helped.

Hugs,

Rita

happyteacher
on 12/7/12 6:24 am
On December 7, 2012 at 1:40 PM Pacific Time, ritamcfadd wrote:

I read in a post that GNC now offers protein shots. High in protein and not too much to get down. Not sure what the name is but if you say protein shots I am sure they know what you mean. Also, I love Unjury powder which you can only order online. I am such a chocloholic and so I order the calssic chocolate which tastes just like real chocolate milk. The also have chicken soup which you make with warm or ho****er and I have an unflavored one to throw in to other things I can eat to meet my protein intake. 

I like the Isopure but only the Alpine punch and blue raspberry flavor. I can handle those.

Hope that helped.

Hugs,

Rita

Careful with protein shots- it may not be a type of protein you can absorb.  The ones I bought originally were collagen protein, and we can't absorb that.  Not sure with the Gnc brand...

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 12/7/12 5:40 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with

The gasX only helps so much, since the gas is in your abdominal cavity, not your intestines. 

I gagged on IsoPuke after I was healed, I cant imagine it while I was barely out of surgery.  Maybe can you dilute it way down with water or Crystal Light? How long until you arent on clears?  College Inn chicken broth is good on a belly too, if you have a Kroger or Fred's around (maybe its at more places, but I know its there).

Sorry girlie.  It will get better, but boo to now!

rissa1224
on 12/7/12 5:43 am - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

The nut at my surgeons office said a week on clears. Wake up and have2-4oz of Isopure wait 30 min then same amt in water and so on. Lunch n dinner time attempt broth. The NUT that came to my hospital room said up to 5 days on clears but it's whatever I feel comfy with. After clears its full like pudding yogurt with no chunky fruit, creamy soups with 1/2, can milk and strained etc. I have to meet with my nut in 2 weeks to discuss further. The Isopure just sucks 

MuttLover
on 12/7/12 5:49 am
VSG on 11/14/12

I think I'd go with the NUT in the hospital!  Or call and ask if you can add unflavored protein powder to chicken broth -- I couldn't do that pre-op, but with only 2 days of clears after I got home, I just focused on hydration and not getting dehydrated (so the powerade zero is good for that).

I don't know if the protein shots are considered a clear liquid -- maybe call your nut this afternoon and tell you that you just can't tolerate the Isopure - what other ways can you get your protein in?

Sorry you are having trouble with it -- but it's just gross!  Let us know what she says, and maybe we can think up something to help you out.  I just looked up the Protein Blitz drink to make sure I wasn't making it up.  That was what I watered down with grape KoolAid (SF, add splenda).  It has several flavors as well.  They have it vitamin shoppe, but you can call GNC and see if they have it too.

Keep us posted!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

happyteacher
on 12/7/12 6:26 am

You really, really need to keep yourself hydrated.  Try drinks that are at different temperatures, like warm tea or cold tea.  Sometimes the temperature difference can make it a lot easier to get down.  Sorry you don't like the isopure- that did the job for me back in the early days. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

120wannabe
on 12/7/12 6:31 am - Fort Worth, TX
VSG on 12/04/12

I had surgery on Tues and was told to just get in clear liquids the first week. They gave us Crystal Light, Isopure (grape), water and 1oz cups. I would just take one cup at a time. The grape wasn't too bad, but I can't imagine trying to drink the whole thing at one time. I bought the Alpine punch and it was too sweet, so I diluted it with some of the grape.

It is my understanding that you need to walk to get rid of the gas.

I hope things get better for you. Gas can be so uncomfortable.

Terrimarv
on 12/7/12 7:25 am - IL
VSG on 12/04/12
Had my surgery on Tuesday, and am on full liquids for 2 weeks. My go-to drink is Unjury chicken soup--20 grams of protein per scoop (cup), savory, easily absorbed, very easy to sip. I also like the unflavored Unjury; you can mix it in anything, goes down easily. Once the gas starts to move through, the discomfort is MUCH better. Hang in there!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 136 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 396 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 425 views