Approaching goal...

Happy966
on 9/29/12 11:03 pm, edited 9/29/12 11:03 pm

Let me preface this post by saying this is about stuff going on in my head.  This is not a post about how I'm doing everything I'm supposed to and poor me, I'm not losing weight.

I have reached a point where I am very, very comfortable.  I am happy with my size, how  I look in clothes, my physical accomplishments in Pilates, how easily I can run up and down the stairs.  I've just had my 2 one-year follow-ups with the clinic and the surgeon, both of whom seem to think I'm done and I'm an amazing success.

I've talked a lot about my food addiction - the monkey on my back - and how much he dislikes giving up food.  I think I'm kind of checked out on what it takes to manage that.

Now I feel like I'm wresting with *me*, not the monkey.  I have been doing everything necessary to maintain 167 pounds.  But only part of me is satisfied.  The other part wants to see 160.  This is frustrating, since this isn't exactly a food addiction problem.  It's a ME problem.  Ugh.

Anyway, my gf is very supportive and wants me to achieve this goal as long as I stop complaining about the size of my butt, which is now smaller than hers.  This is a blessing.  I also want to "enjoy" my success and not be dogged by feelings of failure because I don't weigh 160 lbs.  Yet.

I guess I am posting all this because I need to stay connected to you guys, and because it's important for me to share what's going on in my head with like-minded people.  Otherwise, I get really squirrely with the food.  Thanks for listening!!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

dec721
on 9/30/12 12:15 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
Hey Happy!  

No words of wisdom here; I just wanted to tell you that you are one of the realest (is that a word?) gals on here, and I can almost always relate to your mind-battles.  My own mind is both a blessing and a curse.  It is a blessing in that it is strong and stubborn and determined; it is a curse when it is strong and stubborn and determined to continue addiction behaviors, heh heh.  

Anyway, keep up the good work, and your own body will decide if it wants to stay at 167 or more or less. Just keep doing the right stuff ... mostly! ... and you will settle.

--Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

PrettyEyes_41
on 9/30/12 12:27 am - MS
VSG on 06/12/12
Stay connected with us here Happy, I love reading your posts and thoughts because you are often able to articulate with I think but am unable to say. I'm at 169 and really, really, really would like to see 160 before my brother's wedding at the end of October. At my losing rate right now which is about 1.5 lbs per week there is absolutely no way I'm going to make it - BUT I'm darn sure going to give it the ol' college try! I'm upping my exercise and fluids and keeping my protein to over 80. Doing all the things I know how and if it's meant to be then it'll be. If it's not then that's okay too because it doesn't mean I'm a failure anymore. I look at what I've accomplished and judge where I'm at now as opposed to where I was at before and try very hard to not compare myself to others on here. Your body will decide what weight it wants to be at and all you can do is make sure you don't succumb to old eating habits out of frustration. You are doing great Happy and should be EXTREMELY proud of your accomplishments!! Thanks for being on here, you're also a great inspiration!  

Gale     Age: 55, Height: 5' 5.5", HW: 236, SW: 210, 1st GW: 150.  Surgery BMI: 39.3  Extremely HBP, High Cholesterol & borderline diabetic.      

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/12 2:05 am
Happy, I think I need some clarification from you on this post so that I can give better support.  I am going to rephrase what I am hearing you say here, and I would like you to tell me if I am on the money or way off the mark.  I am hearing that you are 167 and happy with your appearance and health.  However, for some psychological reason, you are wishing to reach 160 lbs.  The 160 lbs is an arbitrary number that calls to you, but you see no real reason to reach it.  Is this right?  In other words, if you were to go by your mirror and photos as well as your doctor and trainer, you are at goal.  If you were to go by your scale, you would want to see a loss?
Happy966
on 9/30/12 4:50 am

Thank you, Elina!  Yes, I think you are on the mark.  I am very comfortable here, and like how I feel and look.  BUT I did set a goal that I'd like to achieve, if for no other reason than I've never been that small.  I also want to never be larger than I am now, so I am sure I will need to continue to lose.  I am just surprised by how stubborn the other part of my brain is being about letting go of what I can only imagine would be at most another 10 pounds.

I am also a little frustrated that I'm letting myself get seduced by all these other people (health care types) saying I'm done.  I want to reach that arbitrary goal because I said I would, and it's not an unreasonable size (even for me!).  So.. as for the kind of support I'm looking for, I think it would be this.

"You get to decide when you're done.  You need to figure out why you're not willing to get smaller, because it's not a big deal anywhere but in your head.  You want to let go of what's holding you back.  You don't want to use food to keep from seeing what 160 pounds feels like.  You can do it!"

Like I said, thank you.  I think I *do* want to keep going. 

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/12 12:13 pm
I find that the solutions are always buried in the unpacking of the problem.  Sounds like you are doing some great "unpacking" there.  :)  I knew you knew what you need.  You are one smart and determined woman.
Tirza T.
on 9/30/12 7:35 am
VSG on 01/17/12
 Happy I think you are doing so great. If you truly felt you look and feel great at 167 and your personal goal was say 150. I would suggesst maybe you should pick a new goal because 17 pounds can make a drastic difference when you are a smaller weight (which you are). I know those last 10 pounds are a major S.O.B. but I think you should try to remove those 7 pounds and assess your situation then. You may like it better or you may even want to go back to 167. Do what makes you feel good. I wish you the best of luck in whatever decision you make whether it is to go into maintenance or whether you decide to lose 7 more pounds.

Female, Height 5'6"
HW&Surgeon Consult Weight: 330 lbs. SW: 294 CW:
frisco
on 9/30/12 10:30 am

Happy....

Here is my suggestion from someone who has gone through the steps........

Issues aside.......

Ramp it down..... make it simpler......

It can get overwhelming.......

I would say...... Hold 167 for say 6 months...... get the hang of maintenance........

Once you get a grip on maintenance with a good baseline......and 6 months goes by......

Re-evaluate.......

We tend to over think and make it harder than it really needs to be.......

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Happy966
on 9/30/12 11:43 am

You know, you told me I was overthinking things about 9 months ago and it really was true - it had a big effect.  Kind of struck me that way this time, too.  Don't over-analyze, just do.

BTW, we have a Japanese company for a client, and the plant manager is returning to Japan next week.  He took us out to the best Japanese restaurant in the area for a meal tonight.  Lots of small plates... also, no rice!  I was surprised.  Only rice in some sushi.  Otherwise, lots of cooked fish, sashimi, beef tongue, etc.  Just surprised no rice!

frisco
on 9/30/12 12:16 pm

As a generalization.......

The better the Japanese Restaurants ...... and I think Asian for that matter.....

You tend to see less Rice and Noodles.......

Rice can be deemed a "filler" food for the lower socioeconomic levels or more of a lunch food than dinner.

Gotta love the simple small plate foods !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 308 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op