Approved for Surgery but not Hospital stay..

Brittany R.
on 9/8/12 6:50 am
I got my approval 2 weeks ago. But yesterday a letter came in the mail with a denial for hospital coverage over 23 hours. Do these people really think it's ok for you to get 85% of your stomach removed and then send you home!!! Did anyone else have issues with Aetna or other insurance that did this?
bagelface
on 9/8/12 6:57 am
VSG on 08/22/12
 The same thing happened to me.  The even denied it while I was in the hospital.  My surgeon appealed and it was approved.  Another reason why health insurance should not be a for profit business. 
acbbrown
on 9/8/12 7:10 am - Granada Hills, CA
 Its pretty standard. I had surger at 1:30 pm and went home the next day at 10:00a,. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

(deactivated member)
on 9/8/12 7:24 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
It's actually the norm.  If there are complications, your surgeon directs the hospital to coordinate with your insurance to extend the stay.

FYI, I had my revision surgery on Monday, August 20, and could have gone back to my hotel as early as 2:00 that afternoon had I had a care/support person available.  I stayed in the hospital another 24 hours because I didn't have someone to help me out.

If there are no complications, it's a lot more comfortable to recover in the privacy of your own space.
skinnytra77
on 9/8/12 7:38 am
I got approved for 1 night hospital stay.  My Dr. told me that if i needed to stay another day she would need to tell the insurance company and it wouldnt' be an issue.   I ended up staying for 2 days and the insurance company covered it

vogue
on 9/8/12 8:04 am
VSG on 08/30/12
I had exact same letter..... same insurance carrier.... I stayed 2 nights in hospital with no issue... was offered to go home after day 1...and also offered to stay a 3rd night if I felt I needed it... my surgeon left a LOT of that up to how I was feeling
dianne220
on 9/8/12 8:39 am - TX
VSG on 10/02/12
 That does seem fast but doesn't surpise me.   I have a question for those of you with Aetna.  How long until they gave you an answer?  We sent off my packet on Sept 4th.  They said I'd know in 14 days but I was hoping it was quicker, thanks!

5' 8.75" HW 278 / Doctor supervised Diet 271 / SW 247 / Doctor's goal 175 / Personal Goal 167/ Current weight 155/  M1: 24.8  M2: 10.8  M3: 10.8  M4: 10.4  M5: 7.6  M6: 10.6  M7:  6.6  M8:  5.6  M9:  5.0

(deactivated member)
on 9/8/12 8:44 am
 I have Aetna too, and I got the same letter. I asked my doc about it, and he said they almost always approve a second night. I did stay two nights, and it was fine. I wouldn't worry about it.
diane S.
on 9/8/12 9:32 am
this happened with my husbands hernia repair post vsg. doctor just said he had to stay a night - not well enough to go home and they covered it. just a dumb game they play i think. diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Magiffy
on 9/8/12 10:32 am
I have Aetna. My first approval came back wth the approval for surgery but not the hospital stay.  When I called them they said it wasn't approved because it wasn't asked for.  To have it resent and it should be approved.  Got everything sent back in and I called to check on it the next week and they said all was approved.  It still took a few days for the Surgeons office to get it and call me.  If you call make sure you speak to someone in pre-authorizations they can get more access to info.
Magiffy
Indiana
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 399 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 426 views