Did you save $$ after VSG?

Cindy F.
on 7/18/12 10:15 am - Charlottetown, Canada
VSG on 02/05/13
I'm still pre-op (surgery probably in December) and I know I've spent a lot of money on fast / junk food over the years. I'm wondering if you've noticed a savings when that expense is eliminated. I know that food is still being purchased but I'm just curious. 
ib40
on 7/18/12 10:21 am
I no longer drink sodas, so that is money in my pocket. I no longer order fast food meals, so I save money. When we go out to eat, I pick off of my husband's plate, so I save money. I think if you are one of those who is on a lot of medication, there is a huge potential to save money as you roll off of different medications.

On the flip side, I am more careful about what I put in my mouth now. Organic food and better cuts of meat are more expensive, but it's worth it to have quality protein sources. At first, when you can barely eat anything, it doesn't cost much to eat during the day.

comeundone
on 7/18/12 10:21 am - OH
 no protein shakes and healthy food cost more. When I ate junk it was cheap (dollar menu) 
HW 289  SW 242

hwag5149
on 7/18/12 10:27 am
buying clothes is no joke. Figuring out which vitamins and protein shakes work for you is expensive, buying food and having it go to waste is expensive. I'm more poor now than i was pre VSG. MUCH more poor. Maybe in maintenance things will even out. It's mostly the clothes.

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

INgirl
on 7/18/12 10:33 am
No, for the most part- for me, it's about equal if not more if all things are taken into account.. and that's with drastically reducing the times we go out to eat.

If only comparing edibles to edibles, it's likely darn near equal. Again, that's going from eating out at least 2-3x a week, plus occasional carryout 1x a week, to eating out 2x a mo, and maybe 2x carryout.

Protein supplements

health(ier) foods, I like good stuff, and now my good stuff happens to come from a health food store. Good snacks, oils, protein stuff, vites & such all cost more.

Meat, meat & meat.. I cook for myself & my husband, we are both lower carb now, and cheap pasta/casserole/noodle-muck dinners are no longer done. If I were only feeding me, this would be less.

Drs visits- I was one to only go to the Dr when I was about to keel over. The VSG (any WLS) means an increase in co-pays for more frequent labs for at least the first couple years.

Clothes- I do strict consignment/thrifting, but still- replacing a wardrobe can get spendy- especially if you start enjoying clothes-shopping!

Entertainment: If you are like me, I avoided doing some social things for lack of comfort.. now that I don't have that issue I find myself wanting to get out and about and that sometimes requires more money.

I haven't joined up at a gym, yet.. but I have bought some classes, and had massages.. which I wouldn't have done pre-VSG (not sure if you can count those though!)

jennygalthin n
on 7/18/12 11:07 am

no when you figure the cost of protein supplements; and cost of new clothes .. it all even out.. just my thoughts

happyteacher
on 7/18/12 11:38 am
A resounding yes for my family- 

My husband decided to go on a diet to support me a few days after surgery, and he has lost about 90 pounds.  We used to go out to eat constantly, so the savings from that is ridiculous.  Even when we do go out now, we share a meal and it is half the cost.

Even if I balance that against the cost of the protein shakes and constantly buying new clothes that fit we are still way, way ahead overall.  I did feel that right around surgery when I dropped what felt like a small fortune on loads of vitamins and protein options in preparation for surgery that perhaps it could be a losing proposition, but now 6 months out it has more than worked out.

And we are so much healthier as a family- not just me!!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Georgie Mayhem
on 7/18/12 12:31 pm - New Zealand

Ha ha ha, very funny

short answer no, as I'm very selective 99% of the time what I eat and the specialized shakes, multi etc add up.

Realisticly I prober;y do save some but not much that I've even noticed, for instance here in nz a choc bar costs 1.60. Beef jerky 3.50. Yes I eat a small amount of everything now but I find healthier food costs more, but I dont mind and wouldn't change anything

Georgie Mayhem
on 7/18/12 12:34 pm - New Zealand

I forgot to mention the clothes.

I'm fussy so no secondhand clothes for me,. I've spent about 2 grand easy on clothes so far, and then end up giving to a good close friend that has just started this wicked adventure.

Cindy F.
on 7/19/12 1:11 am - Charlottetown, Canada
VSG on 02/05/13
Thanks for the replies to date, they've been very helpful. Although I was initially thinking about food costs / savings, you're right about the clothing, vitamins, protein, and healthier food. This is why I love this forum, it gives me ideas I wouldn't have necessary thought of.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 68 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 254 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views