Newbie with ????

Scotty D.
on 6/19/12 9:28 am - Roanoke, AL
VSG on 08/30/12
Hello. I am looking at having surgery in mid July (no date set yet). I was told by my doctor that I could be back to work in 10 days (if there is no complications). I am a welder by trade, I was wondering if this was true, or if it is wishful thinking?
beckyinkc
on 6/19/12 11:32 am
VSG on 07/25/12
I'm pre-op, so I can't tell you from personal experience, but what I've seen is that it varies from person to person.  Some people feel good as new in a matter of days, and some have issues for weeks.  Everyone's body heals differently.  Also, I'm not sure what the demands of your job include, but you'll have a 15-pound lifting limit for awhile after (length of time probably varies from surgeon to surgeon, I would expect). 

You can search with the bar on the top right, because I KNOW this has been talked about before.  Maybe search for "days off" or "time off request" or something.  Hope you find what you need!

Erica A.
on 6/19/12 11:36 am - KY
 I had surgery on a friday and by tuesday I was back at work.

Goal 60% by 6 mths (143lbs) reached at 5.5mths

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

imreadytogo
on 6/19/12 11:55 am
 I was sleeved on Tuesday the 12th.  I had planned to return to work after one week but my body is just not ready.  I am weak and shaky which the Dr says is not uncommon so I am taking an extra week.  If you have the time take it.  You can always go back early if you feel up to it.  Good luck with your upcoming surgery!
Pobearsam7
on 6/19/12 12:04 pm
It varies from doctor to doctor... My doctor is not letting me go back before 4weeks.
sunshine777
on 6/19/12 12:17 pm
VSG on 06/12/12
Hello. I was sleeved a week ago today. I heal rather quickly and can tolorate pain pretty well. I had a c-section three months ago and was up like normal the following day. They day I got sleeved I requested to get up and walk around an hour after I got out of the recovery room. I had the five incisions and all five were painful at first. Four of them are not too sensitive anymore. The  one that hurts is the hole that my surgeon did most of the work out of and pulled the piece of stomach out of. It hurts when I pick my 15lb baby up..and really hurts when I pick my 2yr old up...who is about 30lbs. It also hurts to bend. I still need to sleep almost sitting up. So if you have to lift any weight for work you may want to take an extra week off work.  
thunderhand
on 6/19/12 12:34 pm - mississauga, Canada
VSG on 06/11/12
Oh man. You shouldn't be lifting that much a week after surgery!
Happy966
on 6/19/12 1:29 pm

I could have definitely gone back to work at day 10, but don't know how much heavy lifting is involved in your job.  Twisting and bending were a little uncomfortable.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

(deactivated member)
on 6/19/12 4:05 pm
It really depends on how much you need to lift and how physically demanding your work is.  I am not sure if you can really know now.  It is possible, but you might need more time. Everyone heals so differently. 
Scotty D.
on 6/20/12 7:18 am - Roanoke, AL
VSG on 08/30/12
Thanks everyone! I lift up to 100lbs. at work and bend, stoop, and the like all day.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 392 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 423 views