You CAN do it, it is easier than you think

OldMedic
on 4/12/12 2:50 am - Alvaton, KY
You CAN make it to goal. 

Yes, YOU CAN DO THIS. 

It really is not complicated, there are no secrets, no "magic" involved.
  The basic system is well known, and it does not involve a whole lot of thought, etc.

You DO have to do your part, pretty consistenly.  That does NOT mean you have to be perfect (after all, how many of us can walk on water?).  You need to stick as closely as you can to your dietary program, and you need to do moderate exercise on a regular basis.  That's all it takes.

You will see people make all kinds of excuses about why they simply can't do it. About 99% of the reasons they give are pure bull manure.  Unless you have a severe metabolic disorder, or a sever psychological problem (like severe depression, etc.), you will lose weight if you keep your calorie intake below what your body needs.  No responsible surgeon would even do a weight loss surgery on anyone that has a severe metabolic disorder, or a significant psychological problem.

So, how do you do it?

You stick to your dietary guidelines as consistently as you can.  For some people, it helps to trrack their food, and/or calories.

You weigh yourself on a regular basis.  Generally speaking, once a week, at the same time of day, stark naked is the best.  Record that weight in a notebook.  Once a month, measure your neck, chest, waist, hips, thighs and biceps, and record those measurements in your notebook.

When you "cheat" (and virtually everyone does), keep it to a minimum and don't get all upset about it.  Just say to yourself, "OK, today I blew it, tomorrow I WILL stick to my program."  Treat it like alcoholics do, one day at a time.

You do NOT need to lift weights, join a gym, run for miles, or buy all kinds of equipment to exercise.  If you WANT to do that, fine, but it is NOT necessary.  Walking, swimming, bike riding, etc are just fine as exercise.  The key is to do it consistently, and for at least an hour or so at a time.

Personally, I walked.  I could barely walk 300 feet when I started out, and I slowly built up to walking 3 miles at a time, 3 days per week.  I have friends that swam, beginning with one lap, and building up.  Others did water aerobics (which not only cushions the strain on the joints, but thwe water also increases the effects of the exercise).

Whatever you do, no matter how strenuous, the key is to do it consistently.

As I said, there are NO secrets to this.  No magic.  It essentially takes one thing, the self-discipline to actually follow through with what you set out to do.

I was 65 years old when I had my surgery.  I absolutely HATE exercise (I had more than enough of it in my 10 years in the Army to last a lifetime).  I have extensive arthritis, and two significant compression fractures in my spine.  I can't move without some pain.

I also love to eat, and I love to cook and bake (and I am darn good at it).

If a lazy old man like me could peel of 195.5 pounds, and pretty much keep it off (I did regain about 30 pounds once, because i stopped weighing myself), then there is absolutely NO reason why the vast majority of you can't do it.

I can guarantee that some people WILL attack me for this post.  They always do.  After all, they have to excuse their failure to lose weight, and I am one of those "mean people" that simply doesn't understand how hard it really is.

Yes, it is hard to change yourself.  It takes self-discipline to do it, and sadly, some people simply won't exercise any self-discipline at all.  Instead, they blame everyone, and everything, except themselves. 

YOU CAN DO THIS, IF YOU REALLY WANT TO!

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

theshrinkingmimi
on 4/12/12 2:59 am
Hey! It has been a while, Old Medic. 

Congrats on your success. I'm afraid that I'm not one of those attackers (boring). I'm with you 100%. 

I would also add that a lot of people (and I mean alot), need psychological therapy just to get the negative voices out of their heads. 

Other than that, thanks for stopping by. You were one of the first people that I read when I came to OH. I figure if you can keep plugging at it, so can I!
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
Shagdoll
on 4/12/12 3:04 am
I love you post! You pretty much tell it how it is, no sugar coating. Thank you!
(deactivated member)
on 4/12/12 3:08 am - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 05/04/12 with
Your post is inspirational!
dec721
on 4/12/12 3:18 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
Hey OldMedic!  So good to see you and to read one of your "right on" posts!  
--Dorothy 

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

newme2011-2012
on 4/12/12 3:18 am
I was just thinking about you this morning. Hoping you would post again sometime soon.
I am going in to my 6th month and always remember you saying that there is NO honeymoon period . Six months is NOT when you will just stop losing etc..
I am a true believer that this is true as I am no where near my goal and won't be at 6 months.
NOTHING will stop me from getting to goal no matter how long it takes!!
Thanks for posting again for all the newbies...Like I was when I first saw your posts!!
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

Janetheo
on 4/12/12 3:22 am
VSG on 01/20/12
WOW! Hardly anyone says it like that anymore....YOU ROCK! I wish more people would think that way. I will take your words of encouragement and run with it.
Thanks, Jane

SuzanneR
on 4/12/12 3:26 am - Randolph, NJ
You are 100% correct, Sir. Thank you and I am cutting and pasting your words to look at them frequently. I just have to keep at and perservere and it will all work out in the end each day. Thank you!

acbbrown
on 4/12/12 3:55 am - Granada Hills, CA
 I thought this WL thing was going to be as straight forward as this - but it's not. Yes, the basics are simple but it's a complicated process for those of us starting at higher BMIs especially when eating disorders are in play. I think some vets (and doctors) try to over simplify WLS and not enough people are getting the psychological help that they need.  

But, I wish more people would take your advice and get rid of all the BS excuses. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

hwag5149
on 4/12/12 5:09 am
I agree. The longer journeys and the metabolic syndromes make the higher BMIs a bit different than the simple rules even after you take out the BS excuses...

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 158 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 431 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 452 views