Is the purpose of having "FRIENDS" on this website for chatting only?

Michelle H.
(Rainbomama)

on 4/4/12 1:56 am - LA
VSG on 02/27/12
What other benefits are there to "friending" someone?  If it's simply for chatting purposes then I'm going to unfriend everyone that has friended me.  I keep this window open while I work so that when I have downtime between reports (usually no more than about 2 minutes) I jump over here and read a post or two.  I HATE chatting and hate that I'm forced to have this stupid chat program on this website.  
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Michelle from Louisiana

moonglo82
on 4/4/12 2:00 am
VSG on 03/29/12
I think the purpose of having friends here is so that we can stay in touch easier. If I go to my OH home page, part of the screen shows me the latest posts by my friends, and I think their blog entries too.

I see the chat window at the bottom of my screen, but I've never actually used it. You can change your status in that window to "unavailable" and people will know not to message you if that will help.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

Michelle H.
(Rainbomama)

on 4/4/12 2:26 am - LA
VSG on 02/27/12
On April 4, 2012 at 9:00 AM Pacific Time, moonglo82 wrote:
I think the purpose of having friends here is so that we can stay in touch easier. If I go to my OH home page, part of the screen shows me the latest posts by my friends, and I think their blog entries too.

I see the chat window at the bottom of my screen, but I've never actually used it. You can change your status in that window to "unavailable" and people will know not to message you if that will help.
I wasn't aware of that, Moonglo. I'll have to check it out.  Thank you.  :) 

Michelle from Louisiana

novascotiadawn
on 4/4/12 2:05 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada

You can turn the chat option off, just saying..

Hugs

Donna

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

roundater
on 4/4/12 2:05 am - Lincoln, NE
I don't use the chat room either but I have found the posts to be of great benefit to me. Just use what is beneficial to you and leae the rest go.
Rich Sonderegger

hwag5149
on 4/4/12 2:15 am, edited 4/4/12 2:16 am
Uhm it's to be "friends" and get to know people.  

People don't usually IM each other every second of every day but it's nice to get to know "friends" and keep up with their progress in private messages. If you don't contact any of your friends then it's pretty pointless to have "friends" on here.

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

Michelle H.
(Rainbomama)

on 4/4/12 2:26 am - LA
VSG on 02/27/12
Uhm, I can do without the sarcasm if that's what you intended, hwag. If not, then accept my apologies.

Every time I open up a new window, the chat screen loads and shows me as available. I've seen MANY chat requests only when I'm logging off and I feel badly for not answering at the time. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings by making them think I'm purposely avoiding answering them.

Can someone tell me how to turn off the chat program all together?

Thanks.
moonglo82
on 4/4/12 2:29 am
VSG on 03/29/12
Click on the chat window.  If you click where it says "available," a drop down menu will appear, and you can select "sign off Meebo."  That should do the trick.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Michelle H.
(Rainbomama)

on 4/4/12 2:33 am - LA
VSG on 02/27/12
On April 4, 2012 at 9:29 AM Pacific Time, moonglo82 wrote:
Click on the chat window.  If you click where it says "available," a drop down menu will appear, and you can select "sign off Meebo."  That should do the trick.
I do that, Moonglo and it keeps signing me back on.  Right now, it's signed off but in a little while it'll be back on.  I don't know if it's signing off because I go from one forum to the other or if it's just a setting that I don't know about.  Anyway, if anyone happens to msg me and you don't get a reply, it's not because I'm ignoring you.  It's a myriad of reasons from hating to chat, not realizing I'm getting messages or I'm working and I just don’t have time to chat.  

Michelle from Louisiana

moonglo82
on 4/4/12 2:36 am
VSG on 03/29/12
What about just changing your status, then, to "unavailable?"  Perhaps that would stay in place better than the signing out would?  Just a suggestion... I don't ever use the chat, so I'm making wild guesses here lol.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 403 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 431 views