Hospital Stay

autismx3
on 3/11/12 9:39 am - Rockaway, NJ
VSG on 04/09/12
Hi Everybody,

So here's my question, I was told that it would be an overnight stay (1).  Are there more people that have stayed longer, complications not included.  My perfect plan is 1 night stay, home for a week, then back to work (desk job).

Does this seem reasonable or am I too optimistic.  I hear so much about nausea. Also do you think I will have more energy when the weight starts to come off. (my son broke my questions mark key).

Thanks for letting me know your thoughts.

BA

moonglo82
on 3/11/12 9:42 am
VSG on 03/29/12
If you have a desk job, you may very well be just fine to return after a week. My husband was only in the hospital for one night for his sleeve, and he was out for a week. He too has a desk job.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

kam0520
on 3/11/12 9:49 am - AL
Hubby and I had it the same day.  We both stayed one night.  I soon developed an infection at the incision where he removed my stomach.  He had to go back in (in the office) and re open the incision and drain it.  We had to then "pack" and bandage it every day, twice daily, for 5 weeks.  Hubby went back to work after 2 and a half weeks.  I have a desk job, and went back after 3 and a half.  If I hadn't had the complication, I MIGHT have been able to go back after only one week, but I really doubt it.  I had zero energy and was still getting the hang of this new lifestyle and needed that extra time.  I was very ready to go back after 2 weeks off though.  
www.kasleeved.com the (almost) daily journey after VSG

Eat to live, don't live to eat.
Healthier2011
on 3/11/12 9:57 am
I had surgery on a Monday spent 2 nights in the hospital (wanted to make sure everything inside was working i.e. passing gas before leaving) and returned to work the following Monday, just off work 1 week total. I too have a desk job and had the opportunity to leave work early the first couple of days.  I will say I didn't do ANYTHING but rest and sleep everyday after work.

Jamie_45
on 3/11/12 11:13 am - CA
VSG on 01/09/12
I only stayed one night as I had no nausea and only marginal pain.  I just knew I would be more comfortable in my own bed!  I would not have wanted to go back to work after one week.  The body takes time to heal and you will get tired VERY easy.  That's not to say it's not doable, but if you have the option... take an additional week!

Jaybee766
on 3/11/12 11:21 am - Silver Spring, MD
VSG on 02/27/12 with
I was in the hospital for only one night and no post surgery complications (so far 2 weeks out)  If I had to I could have gone back after 1 week but would have been uncomfortable sitting for very long without getting up to move around and would definitely been exhausted at the end of the day.  I saved up my leave and decided to take 3 weeks off and this next week is like a bonus/vacation.  I could definitely go back tomorrow but would probably be very tired when I got home.  Instead, I'm taking my nephew to go see the Hunger Games movie  (don't tell my boss LOL)
Jeanne 

Height 5'7"   HW: 314     SW: 293

BriarRose
on 3/11/12 11:21 am
I stayed two nights. I had surgery 56 years old though. It all depends on you, and how you heal.

I took 4 weeks off, and needed it - but as a social worker I do more than just desk work.

Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
grisaille
on 3/11/12 11:51 am - NC
I stayed 2 nights as I had some trouble with my oxygen saturations even with my CPAP. 

And unless you are really good at multi-tasking, I think it will take you a week or two to get down the constant drinking, vitamins and protein.  It seems incessant but now after 2 and a half weeks I am getting more used to drinking all the time. 

And for the first few days your stomach will be swollen and it is very tough to swallow more than a tiny sip.  Now I can actually drink a real swallow (but not a gulp) which cuts down on the time it takes to get through all our liquids. 

And this is a fairly major surgery so you will getting the anesthesia out of your system for several days (and the laproscopic gas) and you will be tired.  I am finally not needing naps.

HW 369  SW 369 GW 199
Cher0n
on 3/11/12 12:00 pm
One week may be a little optimistic.  I'd ask your doctor about that.  I had complications and stay.  I went in Tues. morning and didn't go home until after a cat scan on Thurs evening.  It was not my first surgery though, and I had lots of scar tissue.  I couldn't have worked even a desk job for that entire first week.  I slept through the night for the first time 6 days out. 

I'd give yourself at least 2 weeks before going back, if not 3.  Best of luck!
joannalee
on 3/11/12 12:21 pm - Victoria, TX
I had my surgery on a Thursday morning, wen home Friday afternoon and went back to work the following Friday. In office that first day. Then the next week back to my regular routine mostly office work but I do go out to see patients also. I'm a home health nurse/case manager.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views