Mexico surgeons, which one?

KristaB
on 1/31/12 12:16 am - St Catherines, Canada
 Hi everyone!  I have been around the board for a little while, although I haven't posted a whole lot.  I'll fill you in on my background a little bit.  I'm 30 yrs old, currently around 370-ish, and 5'9.  I've been told on several occastions that I look significantly lighter, I have a very large frame and heavy bones, but that's beside the point.  I have been on the local surgeons waiting list for a little over 2 years, and the total wait time is supposed to be around 10 years (I'm on the list for the only surgeon in Nova Scotia)  I am currently researching surgery options in Mexico, and have heard very good things about both Dr. Ramos Kelly, and Dr. Aceves.  I like the fact that Dr. Kelly is the less expensive option, but I don't like the fact that he is in a rather sketchy town (so I've been told, never been there myself)  I've heard nothing but glowing praise for Dr. Aceves and the facility he operates out of, however he is the more expensive option.  In your opinion, is one Dr better than the other?  Should I pay the extra and go to a more secure location?  My surgery date will be a long way off yet (not sure how I'm going to be able to pay for it) but I just thought I might get all of my ducks in a row well beforehand.  So my question is, which would you choose?  Thanks for your opinions! 
goingforit1
on 1/31/12 12:48 am
VSG on 02/04/12 with
I'm going to Mexico for my surgery as well.  I am using Dr. Alvarez at endobariatrics.  I go this weekend so I'll let ya know what it's like to cross the border for surgery.  I have only heard glowing reports about him but I've also heard great things about Dr Aceves. 

For me, I'd rather a more secure location so I would choose based on that if the Dr's were equally wonderful.  Good luck!

MargeAD
on 1/31/12 2:31 am - CA
I used Dr. Corvala. He was great and the hospital was excellent.

soulsister
on 1/31/12 2:37 am - NY
I went to Dr. Kelly.  It wasn't a sketchy part of town at all. 

My partner who came with me met a bunch of folks who meet up there yearly (the hospital is known for it's alternative cancer treatments that have worked for these people).  Everything they serve in the cafeteria is healthy such as soy milk etc.

She went with them off the grounds of the hospital a couple of times for lunch.She also walked to the taco stand by herself.

My first day out of the hospital we walked all around Tijuana and shopped around the hotel.  I didn't feel the least bit threatened in any way!

He is an excellent surgeon at a very fair price.  I have no complaints.
FancyRoses
on 1/31/12 2:40 am - Lower Sackville, Canada
I used DR Jamie Ponce De Leon in Tijuana Mexico  awesome team   and you can see them on line as my operation was filmed for a show called 16:9 on Global here in Canada

http://www.globalnews.ca/video/index.html?v=1WzYxLtOhVcEiUuj LZAgKJ6RjRfsENo9#video
My goals to a healthy me            
trachael51
on 1/31/12 9:50 am - MS
Wow! That's awesome, youre doing great and giving me lots of hope for the future, this is actually my very first time posting anything, i usually just read what others are saying , but i feel like you deserve a pat on the back and guess what , you should love yourself. Much luck for the future and hope to see updates with pics soon
Finding Neesey
on 2/1/12 1:26 am
Hello FancyRoses! Please tel me more about your experience. I have been researching Dr Jamie Ponce De Leon for the last few months. From my understanding, he does this surgery at a couple different locations. Was yours in a hospital type setting or in a clinic setting? Did you go to a hotel or a recovery house after a couple days? Who did you use for a coordinator? I have a couple in mind for that also. I would love to hear your feedback on my questions. You can send your responses to my in box if you wish. Look forward to hearing from you.
newme2011-2012
on 1/31/12 2:43 am
I went to Dr. Kelly. The town is sketchy... It is run down some, but I wasn't bothered. I have been on mission trips with our church to towns that look the same. It is a very poor area.
You really aren't outside much unless you wan to be.
I did go shopping one day with my coordinator. I felt totally safe the whole time.
The whole experience was wonderful.I like the fact he uses a hosp. and not a clinic. Dr. Kelly is very good at VSG. He has done thousands. If you have concerns contact him and talk to him . He will answer all your questions and put your mind to ease.
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

Aandasmommy
on 1/31/12 4:27 am
Hi! I went to dr Aceves! My experience has been awesome! When I had my surgery, another lady who is a nurse practioner in the US was getting sleeved by Aceves as well! She told me he was referred to her by two co-workers of hers that are both Drs in the us and had VSG with Aceves also. That made me feel even better knowing Drs in the us actually chose Aceves for their VSG. I went with dr Aceves because of his reputation, I put my life in his hands. I went to Mexico alone while my husband stayed home with our little ones. I felt Very safe the entire time. I would recommend him to any of my family or friends!!! good luck!

*Brittany :)  Height:5'9 HW:265 SW:230 CW:153 GW:145
Jackie00
on 1/31/12 5:20 am
NS here went to Dr Kelly and nothing wrong with the area. You must practice safety in any arras that you go to in foreign countries. You are taken from the airport to the hospital, from the hospital to the hotel, and back to airport. If you are gonna be running the roads seeing sites then you might want to be concerned. There is probably just as much crime or more here in our province. Inbox me if you want to know more, keep low key in any foreign country and don't carry cash simple as that.
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 227 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 303 views