Big question: why does increasing protein increase weight loss?

Sandy S.
on 9/1/11 11:02 pm
Why does increasing protein increase weight loss?  Seems illogical: if I need to decrease calories to lose weight , that increasing protein whi*****reases calories would bring about weight loss?  Anyone know the reason?  I get that this is a syllogism, but I was hoping someone might know the science, so I can trust this idea because I have a real problem when I see the calories go up.  Thanks.

"Step by step the longest march can be won,"  Sweet Honey and the Rock- Peace, San  HW 463 Surgery: 6/13/11; SW 413      
purplepeace79
on 9/1/11 11:38 pm - Bronx, NY
 Protein aids in muscle repair and the development of lean muscle mass
Each lb of muscle burns 50 calories a day versus each pound of fat only burning 5 calories a day
The greater your lean muscle mass, the more calories you burn just by being alive.
You want to sustain your muscle mass as your rapidly losing weight, so protein is essential. As you increase your exercise, esp weight lifting, your protein needs increase. It becomes less about the amount of calories and more about the types of calories.

SW: 364  Surgery Date: 6.21.11 *VSG*  LifeOfANappyHeadedFatChic.tumblr.com

Kim_M
on 9/2/11 12:14 am - LaPorte, TX
loved the explaination.

First month since VSG 33  2nd 14 lbs 3rd12lbs 4th10lbs 5th10lbs 6th 9lbs 7th 13lbs 8th 13 lbs  9th 2 10th 6 11th bounced 175-180 12th  bounced  13th 2 lb cw(164)      
momokc
on 9/1/11 11:45 pm
Is that why / how your protein lvls can go down ? I mean if you are exercising and eating the same amount of protein wouldn't your protein lvls decrease? 

Thanks for the update on how increasing protein helps weight loss as I was thinking the same thing.

Granny

purplepeace79
on 9/2/11 12:22 am - Bronx, NY
 You absolutely need more protein when you exercise. You're using those muscles more so they are in greater need for repair. Protein is like a healing balm for your muscles.
SW: 364  Surgery Date: 6.21.11 *VSG*  LifeOfANappyHeadedFatChic.tumblr.com

BriarRose
on 9/2/11 12:47 am
I was/am under a orthopedic doc and physical therapist care, and with my HMO, Kaiser have consultations with a nutritionist. I was told that when I increase my exercise, I need to increase my caloric intake, with protein, and my fluid intake to protect and heal tiny tears in the muscle structure itself.

I started out barely moving due to an injury and severe arthritis. Now, after losing 100 pounds and exercising first 2 days a week, then three.... walking for one minute, then two, then three.... work out at Curves 4 to 5 days a week, and am allowed to walk on the treadmill for 15 minutes at a time.

I always eat some protein either right before or right after I exercise -- string cheese, almonds, beef jerky are my current favorites.

All I can say is, the advice has worked for me !!!
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
LaughingCow
on 9/2/11 12:47 am - VA
VSG on 02/01/12 with
I've been wondering something similar.  I haven't been to the nutrition class yet b/c I haven't reached the approval stage.  I'm sure a lot will become clearer once I do that.  Plus I'm ordering some books. 

What I really don't understand is why a balanced diet (similar to the FDA's recomendations) with reduced portions wouldn't be the post-op diet - with the sleeve serving to help me reduce the portions.  It sounds like the post-op diet really needs to be more like the initial phase of the South Beach diet in order for us to have longterm success.  I admit that I'm still coming to terms with the thought of losing fruit for snacking. 

I admit I'm concerned about constipation.  At the moment, when I cut down on fruits and veggies and high fiber grains and I increase the protien, I end up constipated. 
Amy
VSG on 2/1/12 with Dr. Halmi
DragonGirl
on 9/2/11 1:22 am - MN
Purplepeace gave an excellent reply, but here's another piece of the puzzle.
Protein is crucial due to how fast you're dropping weight. If you don't maintain/increase
your protein levels, it's common to lose muscle mass along with fat. Increasing protein levels protects our muscles and assures that we're ONLY losing fat and not our important muscle muscle mass! This is why during the losing phase protein is key. Once you're in maintanace, you can eat a little more balanced, but protein will always be the focus for us.

Heidi
  Age 49 Height 5'5" HW/280 SW/250 CW/157  
Behind every success is effort...Behind every effort is passion...Behind every passion is someone with the courage to try.
TexasLawyer
on 9/2/11 1:34 am
All my doctor had to tell me was that if I didn't eat enough protein I was at greater risk for losing hair.  With that info, I hit my protein goal every day.  I love Pure Protein shakes in a can - it makes it easy to hit my goal.

asweetiepye
on 9/2/11 1:41 am
Thanks for posting this response. I will definitely hit my protein goals from now on.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 398 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 426 views