So looking forward to no more UGLY plus sz. clothes!

VickyBT
on 7/10/11 7:13 am - MI
I'm sure this topic has been discussed ad nauseum BUT....
I'm about a month pro-op but I'm already thinking that after 35 yrs. of being obese I will finally be able to buy some cute clothes! 
WHY are plus size women are still being punished for being overweight??? I find it extremely prejudice and insensitive. I can walk through any given plus size department and even specialty store for plus size woman and not be able to find anything I like whereas I could find numerous things I like in any standard size clothing dept.  WHY does the clothing industry assume that plus size women only like white, red, black, primary colors, gaudy prints and grandma styles?  
WHY can't they make plus size clothing in the same colors and styles they make standard size clothing in?   I know plus size clothes are getting a little better but they have a long way to go before they will be equal in style and selection as standard sizes..
Have you notcied plus size clothing has changed sizes?!  
As an example what use to be 2 X is now 3 X!!!
WHY?!?
This whole thing makes me very sad.
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
 Willing is not enough; we must do.? ~Johann von Goethe

VSG Aug. 30, 2011 HW 266 SW 249 GW 166 lbs.

Christine928
on 7/10/11 7:36 am
I was not punished when i was overweight.. I am going to miss my clothes. I had a lot of sexy, sporty, and casual outfits. They all looked good on me. Now on the flip side, I'm glad i'm losing weight and I love how I look and even happier that I'm back in my size14 jean and 10 dresses. LOVE IT...  But its taking alot out of me to part from overweight clothes.. and there are days when I wear them around the house for comfort. 

Don't be sad. Its all good my friend.

kimberly_gr
on 7/10/11 7:44 am
I can really relate to what you're saying.  As a size 18-20 gal, I had an awful time finding appropriate clothes for work.  It took me years to get a descent wardrobe together.  Plus I'm only 5' tall.  God forbid that I could actually find something that was cute.

I'm now wearing sizes 6-10.  It's crazy because last week I took in 5 different brands of size 6 jean shorts into the dressing room, and they all essentially fit.  That would never have happened when I was a size 18.  I would have only been able to find 2 pairs in my size, and I would have had a 30% chance of one of them fitting me correctly in the stomach, hips, and length.

Clothes are way more fun now, but I'm not buying too much till I reach goal.  I'm gonna spend so much when I reach goal and stabilize, that I'll melt the numbers off my plastic.
Kim
5'0"
"In two decades I've lost a total of 789 pounds. I should be hanging from a charm bracelet."  Erma Bombeck

Ms Shell
on 7/10/11 7:55 am - Hawthorne, CA
My big clothes were BANGING and I miss every outfit I had.  I really think it's the area that you are shopping in.  I had VIBRANT clothes and nothing gramdma in my closet from 1985 to 2005.  I had prints and cottons and knits and colors and embroderay etc etc.

I have never noticed that clothing sizes went up, if anything more stores are "vanity" sizing so folks won't think they are as large as they are.  I totally don't get how some "big" stores went from size say 14 to size 1.

Just my observations from MY experience everyone is different.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Crabadams72
on 7/10/11 7:56 am - Silver Spring, MD
I totally agree. I never liked the plus sized departments or clothing options. Even the so-called trendy stores like Ashley Stewart have poorly made clothes that don't hold up well to washing. The price increas for bigger sizes was a pain too. You can currently go into a Dress Barn and they carry normal sizes and plus sizes BUT the cute styles in the normal clothes are not slod on the fatty side.

I am so over these fat rags that I put most of them in a pile the night before my surgery. Now that I am 1 month post op I can wear normal XL clothes! YIPPEE!
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

SassyItalian
on 7/10/11 8:27 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
Plus sized clothes SUCK!!!!! I hated having to hunt and pay a fortune for cute stuff..the only place I could find things was Torrid and their prices are insane!

One of the best non- health related perks to the VSG is the SHOPPING!! I dreaded it before and now I love it!! And I get all kinds of cute stuff on *SALE* at Masrshalls, TJ MAxx, Burlington Coat, etc. Now I can fit into their cute stuff and its so inexpensive!!

You will be on the losers bench in no time and enjoy the shopping when you get there!!!! You will relish the day when you are giving those clothes away to Goodwill!

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

christiemon
on 7/10/11 8:57 am - Buckeye, AZ
 What I'm finding is that with the non plus sized clothes - you can get more variety and a much better bargain on clearance.  That's what I'm loving and trying to hold myself back from not buying everything out there after being not able to even glance the way over out of the "women's department" for so long. 

nilesmama08
on 7/10/11 8:58 am - Atlanta , GA

Wearing cuter clothing is one of my main motivations for surgery. I wore size 16 since Junior High so no skinny clothes. I have cute plus sized clothing but I had to really hunt on a safari or pay outrageous prices. Even though my clothes are nice some things I will not wear due to my large a$$ and thunder thighs! I cannot wait for a hot wardrobe!

Stephanie

Crimson
on 7/10/11 10:20 am - MD
I agree!!! I am now just getting to the point where I can walk into regular stores and barely fit into an XL, so I'm giving myself til September where I can fit into an XL shirt and hopefully size 16 pants.

Granted, there are places that have great looking plus size clothing, but obviously they are more expensive. like torrid shops. but i feel more confident now shopping.

But do know that plus size clothing is a big thing on ebay it seems!! I started selling some of my clothes that don't fit anymore and they're selling like crazy!!!! I dunno what it is. but it's a blessing because boy I could use the extra money lol.

HW: 271 lbs.     SW: 255 lbs.     GW: 150 lbs.    
roundater
on 7/10/11 11:19 am - Lincoln, NE
Not much better sailing on the men's side either. The Big and Tall stores are pretty limited in their selection too. Probably figure they got you hooked by size and can use cookie cutter styles to save money and make more profits. Will be a great NSV to move into regular duds again.
Rich Sonderegger

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 136 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views