asking a question for my hubby

cattywompos
on 6/6/11 5:22 am
My hubby was sleeved on May 26th so he is not quite two weeks out.  He says he never feels full or feels any restriction (I know this has happened to others) so I have told him to slow down and watch for signals.  But what really gets me stumped is that he says he gets a cramp everytime he drinks something, like his tummy is turning in a knot.  Not sure what to make of that one.  I am not so much worried, but not sure what to tell him.
 HW-304 / SW- 286 / CW-198.25 / GW-170

babzmcgee
on 6/6/11 5:50 am, edited 6/6/11 5:53 am
I'm guessing the cramp he is gettin is from drinking too fast. You have to go very slow when you are early out. It does get better with time though.

As far as not feeling any restriction, that will come when he is on soft foods and then a regualr diet. You really don't feel the restriction on liquids (unless you are going too fast and get that cramp).
OH Support Group Leader

Dawnie 88
on 6/6/11 5:51 am
I know i never felt full or much restriction until after about 6 wks, when I was able to eat dense protein, then I felt major restriction.  As far as the drinking..is he taking small sips? I know I actually felt my throat/stomach hurting at first unless I took very small sips.  I always had a drink in my hand all day long because I could only take small sips.  Congrat's to your hubby! I think that's awesome that you both will know what each other has gone through.

emelar
on 6/6/11 5:54 am - TX
I think what he's feeling is normal.  He  should slow the drinking down and/or try warm/hot liquids instead of cold to see if that helps.  I know I could feel liquids trickling down into my stomach.  No cramps, but a very odd feeling.

I felt NO restriction early out, to the point that I was thinking of calling my doc and asking whether he really did anything. 
cannonkb
on 6/6/11 6:15 am - SC
I know I had the cramping the first few weeks even with jus****er.  My Dr. said they were stomach spasms and they would eventually pass and they did by about the 3rd week or so.  Also if he is isn't on a PPI he made need one to kind of sooth the stomach.

kaye90731
on 6/6/11 6:18 am - San Pedro, CA
I had something similar happen to me and it usually happened when I drank either too much or too fast at a time. It took a while before it went away.

HW-221 SW-218 CW-138 GW-135

snowbaby
on 6/6/11 8:08 am - Durango, CO
I had stomach cramping too...it felt like it was trying to turn itself inside out, not really painful just an odd cramping type feeling. It went away after a few weeks.

My husband was sleeved on the 28th and was saying the same thing about not feeling restriction. Then he ate a bit too much last night and found out the hard way what if feels like to overeat with a sleeve! He didn't throw up but had that really uncomfortable feeling all us vets know about.
      Sue 

Bichon Mom2 Oval Sticker

Natashamommyxoxo
on 6/6/11 8:28 am
My hubby got sleeved on the 24th and is going through the same thing. I actually just got of the phone with his docter about his stomach pain he has an appointment on wensday for his two week check up. Anyways his nurse felt like it he was ok.and can wait till wensday to be seen she said they will evaluate his pain. It is nice to know that im not the only wife who is going through the same thing with there hubby.
Danielle K.
on 6/6/11 10:26 am - Evart, MI
 I had AWFUL spasms.  My doctor prescribed me levsin.  Took that while awake and Valium if they woke me up at night.  Also did he happen to have a hiatal hernia repair?  I did and that made the spasms worse cuz I was having stomach and diaphragm spasms one would trigger the other and so on.  Was intensely painful.  Finally stopped at about 6 weeks post op.
HW: 294 SW: 287 Surgery Weight: 271.6 CW: 218.2        

MikeyMike
on 6/6/11 11:20 am - New York, NY
I didn't start getting my full signal until I started eating solid food. For the first month of my program I was on liquids.

I still get spasms if I drink too soon after eating. I normally have to wait at least 15 to 30 minutes.

Highest Weight: 380                      Consult Weight: 357             Surgery Weight: 309 
Goal Weight: 220 (9/29/10)      Revised Goal Range 215-220         Current Weight: 224
Plastics: Circumferential Lower Body Lift - 11/18/2011
              Gynecomastia - 6/14/2012

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views