New Question for Surgeons-Pre Ops

frisco
on 5/19/11 9:02 pm

New Question for Surgeons....

Seems like there are 3-4 leaks on this forum right now...... (were all hoping a swift recovery for all of them)

So.... I'm thinking one of the pre-op questions to your surgeon should be......

- In the case of a leak.....do you know how to fix them?

- Have you ever fixed a leak?

Like in the case of Dr. Aceves.....there was a person that used to zoom in on all mexico related topics and give her pro mexico opinion. Not sayin bad....she did list the not so good mexico surgeons also.

She would always claim that Dr. Aceves has never had a leak. Could be true.....but highly unlikely.

Now don't get me wrong... I have learned over time that he and Dr. Alvarez are fine surgeons.

But it makes me wonder..... If Dr. Aceves has never had a leak.... how would he know how to fix one??? No surgical procedure by anyone is 100%

Just a thought, because cherubchicks surgeon couldn't fix hers.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Carmelita
on 5/19/11 10:16 pm - Four Corners, NM
Leaks and Strictures are a RISK of surgery.  We sign we are aware of the risks of surgery! We consent to surgery.

THEE BEST VSG SURGEONS in the WORLD can CAUSE a LEAK or a STRICTURE.
yer surgeon, my surgeon, their surgeon....all have had their FAIR SHARE believe me!
Its the biz...CUTTING!!

- In the case of a leak.....do you know how to fix them?

- Have you ever fixed a leak?

MAJORITY of SURGEONS that have post op LEAKS...KNOW how to fix em. They've been around ya know...They can't fix a VSGrs IMPATIENCE. VSG doesn't sever our heads!! 

Re: Mex...MANY MANY Leaks are FOUND within 4 weeks of surgery...I dunno of anyone wantin to hang in Mexico for 4 weeks...to find out if they got one!...Same goes for here in the STATES...if they don't catch it early...its found much much later...6 months is the latest Ive read, PMd person.
She had it all along tho, convinced here..her symptoms were "normal"
If goin to a MEX doc...you'll find someone in the States to FIX EM, if a leak is caught there, they do their best to fix em...except Almanza n Pompa only ones I read about that KNEW of leaks, tried to fix em, but basically said...FUCK EM! go back to the US.

MAJORITY of  POST OP VSGrs  that get a LEAK or STRICTURE...go on to ROCK their SLEEVE as if IT NEVER HAPPENED...once they accept it and ACCEPT the HEALING PROCESS, and are DETERMINED TO BE WELL. profound change takes a great deal of time

Marie B.
on 5/19/11 10:31 pm - Pitman, NJ
VSG on 09/20/10 with
I heartily agree with you Frisco.  The name of the game here is research, research, research!  Especially if you are traveling out of your home territory for this.  And doctors who claim they've had no complications...well...red flag I say.  I chose to use Dr. Alvarez because he'd done so many VSG's, and I checked all of his credentials and degrees.  The surgeon at my hospital had done oh...4, and VSG was not his primary gig.  I was fortunate in that I had absolutely no problems, and still don't.  One of my local gals had surgery at a local hospital a few weeks before me and she had major complications.  Turns out she was the 1st VSG done at that facility!  Moral of the story, do your research!  Whether States or Mexico, be sure your surgeon is experienced and proven!
Highest weight ever recorded: 224lbs.    Surgery weight: 194 lbs.
Goal range:  130-135 lbs.
  Lowest:119.7   Current weight 142lbs Height: 5' 2" almost

boomercd
on 5/19/11 10:58 pm - OH
ok now IM worried my surgeon has only done, to date maybe 5 VSGs but has been doing RNYs for 20+ years with a excellent record. she assures me RNY is a harder surgery than the VSG. she said most leaks occur in the area where the stomach meets the esophagus and she moves away from that junction with her staple line. I like her and trust her but should I be worried??

I'm Still a work in progress, I wont give up the quest to reclaim my life, I will be whole again someday!
                          HW297 SW269 CW149.2

Marie B.
on 5/20/11 11:36 am - Pitman, NJ
VSG on 09/20/10 with
Oh sweetie, I sure didn't mean to scare you!  I see your surgeon has her practice 100% in bariatric surgery, so I'm sure she knows what she's doing.  There are many who are general surgeons and just do a very few bariatic surgeries, those are the ones I'd be more cautious about.  But really, poo happens.  Not too often, but it can happen with any surgeon.  Plus, you have the advantage of being close to home and covered by your insurance (I assume).  I had neither, so I really wanted someone with a looonnngg track record.  You'll do great!  Can't wait to see our progress!
Highest weight ever recorded: 224lbs.    Surgery weight: 194 lbs.
Goal range:  130-135 lbs.
  Lowest:119.7   Current weight 142lbs Height: 5' 2" almost

boomercd
on 5/21/11 12:14 am - OH
Thanks Marie, I do feel better, I researched why I chose her in the first place and was able to reassure myself that she was the best choice for me. I'm glad you had a positive experience, seems like lately there is more of the other than there was when I first started on here, guess I didn't realize some are using general surgeons. Thanks again, and congrats on your success!........Connie

I'm Still a work in progress, I wont give up the quest to reclaim my life, I will be whole again someday!
                          HW297 SW269 CW149.2

DrHollywood
on 5/20/11 1:42 am - Harbor City, CA
I agree...  ask questions ask ask ask ask.... Staying on top of the process helps with
our decisions and our busy minds.

✿ L♦O♦V♦E ✿ & ✿ P♦E♦A♦C♦E ✿ღ ✿ & F♦R♦I♦E♦N♦D♦S ✿ ღ
                         "Keeping The Faith!"   "Slim by Summer!"
                                    HW: 250 - SW: 241  - CW: 154.7GW: 140  

1 month: 22 pounds (2162 months: 12.2 pounds (203.8)  3 months: 10.6  (193.2)
 4 months: 9.7  lbs  (183.5)  5 Months:   6  pounds  (177.5 ) 
6 Months: 12 lbs ( 165.5)
 7 Months 7.1 lbs (158.4) 8 Months +1.6 pounds(159.8) 9 Months 2.7 pounds (157.1)
10 Months 8.1 lbs (149) 11 months +2 pounds ( 151) 1 YEAR!!!  2.6 pounds (148.4)

Hit "One-derland April 9th, 2011   (199.7)

"Half-Way Goal" April 25th, 2011 (194.8)

"Happyland 80`s" May 14, 2011  (189.6)

"Groovyland 70`s"  June 20th 2011  (179.9)

" HippyDippyland 60's"  July 16th  (169.8)

" CQQL-land 50`s"  August 25th ( 159.8)

"Normal BMI"   24.8  October 21st, 2011 (154.5) I am 5`6

"AWESOME-land 40's" Dec 1st 2011  (149)

"Century Club 100 Pounds"  Dec 1st 2011  (149)

' ONE YEAR SURGIVERSARY!!!"

Two Year Surgiversary!!!"

(deactivated member)
on 5/20/11 1:58 am, edited 5/20/11 2:01 am
According to Dr A himself- he's had one leak. Not sure if this was one leak found once the patient was released, and not counting any discovered within the time hospitalized(?) but he stated just one when asked. His assistant also confirmed 1 infection (lap band patient) and .5% strictures.. I ask a lot of questions..
(deactivated member)
on 5/21/11 12:33 am
 The post comes off a little bit as slamming Doctor A. I'm kinda saddened you would single out any doctor. Their reputations are all they have when it comes to choosing a doctor you've never met.

Maybe a more polite thing would be not to name any specific surgeon unless you got a beef with him? I know the user youre referring to and most would take those posts with a grain of salt. I know I did when researching. More importantly I contacted dozens of folks like you and me who had used the surgeon. 

This post and point coul.d have effectively been made without naming any paticular doctor.

I'm pretty darn confident in my choice, I leave this week. If I leak I'll be thrilled that unlike other mexican doctors I'll be in a real hospitol for 3 days afterwards and be leak cheked what like 3 times? My American doctor doesnt even do that. If I am leaking I trust my doc to take care of it. This post doesn't scare me away from that choice. But hey if I have problems, I will post in here. I'm not gonna leave out any of the nitty gritty.
Wish me luck ;D
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 66 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 251 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 319 views