what the heck!

cattywompos
on 5/11/11 1:44 am
I have always been one to have a couple days when I lose weight and then stall the rest of the week.  Almost everytime this happened over the weekend, I lose my weight over the weekend and then am at a stand still the rest of the week.  Usually weekends I am more lax with my exercise and diet.  Recently I have not been exercising as much because well... the weather is getting nice and I have yard work to do and frankly it is too darn nice to be hitting the gym.  I still watch my diet as usual during the week but my exercise is slumping off.  Not to say I am sitting around doing nothing, because I am not.

Here is what I am questoning... I had been at a near stand still with my weight loss for the past couple of months.  But this week so far I have lost 4lbs and 1 of those was today, the middle of the week.  Could it be possible that I was exercising too much?  I wa****ting the treadmill everyday on my lunch break and then I would hit the gym for about 45 minutes of weights and 20minutes of stationary bike 4 days a week.  Maybe this was too much? I don't know. I am not saying I am going to completely stop exercising because I know the benefits of doing it, but maybe I shouldn't be so hard on myself for not hitting the gym as often as I was. I would like to think that raking outside or taking a bike ride or a leisurely stroll is good enough.

This is just really playing with my mind because I absolutely hate to exercise, I hate hitting the treadmill on my break and taking time out of my night to go exercise.  I get hate to see that number on the scale at a standstill (although it no longer depresses me) and am elated when the scale moves down.  I hate putting in all the effort and seeing the results in one way, but not another. This is truly making me question the plan I had set forth for myself.  Need some input here from my OH family! Please!
 HW-304 / SW- 286 / CW-198.25 / GW-170

borntobethin35
on 5/11/11 1:50 am - VA

Catty,

I'm sure you will get different responses to this. But I must admit, I was working out like crazy in the beginning all the way up to like a month ago then I stop because I found I wasn't losing as much as I wanted to. Then I noticed when I stop working out like 4-6 times a week my weight started dropping again. I feel that working out is the "cause of my stalls". I'm sure others will disagree with me but I find not working as much helps me to lose weight....

Sheka

HW: 272   SW: 256  CW: 189 GW: 170

1st  Goal:    245:    
Achieved
2nd Goal:    220:    Achieved
3rd  Goal:    199:    Achieved
Final goal:   170

"I thank GOD for allowing me this opportunity to turn my life around"

emelar
on 5/11/11 1:51 am - TX
You'll make yourself crazy trying to figure out why your body does what it does.  It may just be that the change in your routine has shaken things up a bit.  And hey, being outside and moving is exercise too!  (but I wouldn't totally drop the gym)
anninva
on 5/11/11 1:59 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
hey there! i'm am the absolutely worst person EVER to give an opinion on this since so far i'm losing with little or no exercise (i KNOW!). i agree though, that trying to figure out what one's bod is doing is fruitless. keep doing that yardwork and (i guess!) hit the gym when you can make yourself do it. that's the advice of the biggest slug on the board!

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

MadFatLady
on 5/11/11 2:06 am - MI
 I don't know if this is right or not, but at my pre-op appointment yesterday I was advised to switch up my exercise routine regularly.  The doc said that if you are doing the same thing all the time, your body gets used to it.  It knows what to expect, so it is not burning the calories the same way anymore.  They told me that one of the best things to do when a stall hits is to try a different kind of exercise.

Don't know if that helps or not--and I haven't had my surgery yet!  But I thought I'd share what I am learning.

Lynn
Lynn

Christian Fiction Author

http://lynnmcmo.com        
wife_of_a_soldier
on 5/11/11 2:14 am - WA
I also feel bad admitting this, but I don't work out. I also haven't had any stalls. I do know that inorder to maintain and to be healthy that I need to be working out. I was a collegiant athlete and danced for 15 years. I used to kill myself in the gym on a daily basis to maintain. I know what it takes. Right now I work 50 hrs a week and dont have a lot of time for it except on my days off which are few and far between. By no means is this the rule and I don't want new people too think this is okay because I don't think that it is. It is just my personal experience.
SW 253/CW 148/GW 150 (105 DOWN, GOAL IN 10 MONTHS!)

StrawWalker
on 5/11/11 2:28 am
There has never been any valid scientific research that can prove that exercise causes weight loss. That is truth. That said, being active and ENJOYING oneself has cardiovascular, psychological,and emotional benefits.
Take care
StrawWalker
byebyeburden
on 5/11/11 2:45 am

For me, I stopped losing for over a month when I started exercising.  So, while the scale didn't move and it drove me nuts....I did lose fat, I know it, on my back and butt.  You could be retaining water, building muscle, so many things.  I doubt you are exercising too much...I think we never do enough.  Good luck

~Emily
Surgery Date Weight: 255 

Goal 1: 199 reached 3/4/11
Goal 2: 175
Goal 3: 150
Goal 3: 129

SweetiePea
on 5/11/11 3:02 am - IA
I used to be heavy into kickboxing till my health went downhill but we had to monitor our measurements more than our weight.  

Question: have you taken any measurements? What I'm thinking is maybe its muscle???

Father Don
on 5/11/11 3:29 am - Charleston, SC
Here's my standard answer to "pauses" that everyone calls a stall:

A stall is something that last 6 weeks or more.  You are in a correction period.

Weight loss is like a teeter-totter....

One one side is pounds, the other inches....

If you stop going down on pounds, the inches will go down .  Are you measuring? 
Then the inches will slow and pounds will drop...

this is normal and NOT a stall, it's a correction period that your body uses to catch up.....

Obesity Help Support Group Leader

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 390 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 422 views