Home and sleeved!

Herbie55
on 4/23/11 8:47 am - MI
Left on Wed. for the other side of the state to do my pre op stuff and then had surgery on Thurs. morning. Arrived at the hospital 10 minutes early and there was no one there yet. (Small hospital) Was greeted by the coldest most insensitive pre op nurse I have ever had the displeasure of meeting. She couldn't find a vein for my IV and eventually had to have someone else do it. I got the distinct feeling that she did not approve of weight loss surgery or the people that were there to have it!  Met my guys from anesthesia who were both very funny and was eventually wheeled into surgery. Mask on my face and the next thing I knew I was waking up. Not too much pain but enough to want a little something to help. My daughter told me that my surgeon had come out to the waiting room and had shown her the part of my stomach he had removed. She didn't think to get a picture, she was too shocked. They wheeled me up to my room 2 1/2 hours after surgery started and I tried to get some sleep but the bed I was on felt like a one in pad over steel bars. Thank God my doc let me leave the next morning. We drove straight home and I spent the night on my comfy sectional and finally got some sleep. Feeling pretty good today, never even filled my pain meds at the pharmacy. Funny thing I noticed was that the hospital didn't really like me to be up and walking around much. I did a couple of times without asking anyway. They also had pressure sleeves on my legs to avoid blood clots. I guess not all places do things alike. So far, so good .
MaryKate777
on 4/23/11 8:49 am - WA
Warm thoughts for blessings and healing coming your way! Congrats- the hard part is over now. Welcome to your new life! :D
Mary Kate
Ulysses
on 4/23/11 9:07 am
Congats on your sleeve!
I had a pre-admission nurse that was just like your pre-op nurse.
This was last Thursday -
Check this: After finally drawing blood - I guess I have "Roller Veins" she did the EKG.
She then told me that my heart was on the right side of my body...
She did the EKG again to confirm that I did indeed have my heart on the right..
---No problem, I don't care where it is as long as it works.
Got a call from the Hospital Friday am saying I needed to come in RIGHT AWAY.
Whole different game if my beat box is on the other side of my chest..
---
Well 2 hours later I come to find out that the nurse had one leed off on the EKG device!
My heart is on the left and is in very good shape...
I think Pre-Ops and Pre-Ad nurses are PRE for a reason!

Best ogf luck in your journey...

Jason
VSG Surgery on April 26th, 2011
"Get busy living…or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." ~ Red, The Shawshank Redemption   

roodles
on 4/23/11 9:35 am, edited 4/23/11 9:36 am
Damn, where do they find so many Nurse Ratchets?  I had one post-op and I was so fed up and hurting I told her, "A little compassion would go a long way."  hahahahaha. As expected, that comment didn't warm her up much, and she kept telling me to keep my moaning down becasue I was disturbing the others.  I said a bit of pain med might help and she begrudgingly gave me some IV.  Much better . . .ahhhh  So later, I asked her if she like her job.  She replied with a snarl, "I love it."  I told her I couldn't really tell.  All the other RNs, CNAs, housekeepers, nutrtionists, and baraiatric cheerleading squad members were sweethearts.  Too many people though.  I am a hermit, hopefull will be a thinner one someday soon.  Got surgery this past Tuesday - on my ex's birthday.  How auspicious.  Glad you are on the road to health!
jthomp7889
on 4/23/11 11:45 am - Shrewsbury, MA
 Congrats Herbie, don't let a grump nurse bother you. You had a great surgeon and I am sure you will be very happy!
sleeve genie
on 4/23/11 1:46 pm - Alhambra, CA
Congratulations on your surgery glad all is going so well for you.. Yeah,  what is up with those hospital beds,  i was in for two nights and got NO sleep until i got home to my own nice bed.  Continued good luck to you  walk,sip,rest and repeat  :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 102 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 325 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 369 views