Is losing weight pre-op a must for RMPA clients

RoxanneF
on 7/7/03 3:13 pm - Baltimore, MD
To anyone who is post op and went through Rocky Mountain Physicians Assoc., here in Salt Lake, do they make you do a special diet before surgery or lose weight? I keep hearing people on the regular message board saying that their doctor made them lose weight before surgery. The lady posted tonight that and she only had a BMI of 42.
Marinda H.
on 7/9/03 4:35 am - Sandy, UT
Hi Roxanne! I have some friends who have had surgery with RMPA and they did not have to lose weight before surgery. I have also seen the other posts here and on other websites where some surgoens require it. Some of the situations are so the surgoen can do the lap and others the surgeons want to test the compliance and willingness of the patient. It can also make your liver less fatty and because of this its easier to do the procedure, I think its because they are less likely to accidently cut the liver. That's what I've heard on the subject.
Carla S.
on 7/14/03 3:44 am
Hi Roxanne, I had surgery June 19th Didn't have to lose before surgery. I had actually gained before surgery with those last suppers even though I was trying to be careful. Try not to gain before I am kicking my self because I would now be 20 lbs lighter. It also would have been 20 lbs I didn't have to lose. Doing great after surgery and loved Dr Halversen.
Most Active