OKAY, GUYS! What is the best tasting protein powders/shakes for sensitive stomachs?

Katie H.
on 8/18/13 1:19 am - NC

Packaged protein usually gives me bad stomach cramps or tastes so horrible to me that I really have to work to suppress the gag reflex. (no exaggerating here) I don't mind a bad taste, I can get through it. But I can't do anything that tastes THAT bad. I have limits! I would love love love some suggestions!

Thanks, guys. (:

Katie

Lap-Band 09/10, seeking revision.

poet_kelly
on 8/18/13 1:25 am - OH

I suggest getting a bunch of samples so you can see what you like.  You can get a ton of samples at vitalady.com, and you can also get some from unjury.com and chikenutrition.com.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/13 1:26 am - NC

I have been using "Pure Protein" protein powder.  The vanilla is really good (tastes like cake batter! YUM), and the chocolate is good too.  My doctor told me to do 1 scoop of powder, 8 oz of UNsweetened almond milk, and a handful of frozen fruit.  I haven't made one yet that wasn't good!  And I have a quick gag reflex as well, so I understand where you are coming from! 

I did try the "OhYeah" brand pre-made shakes....Uggh.  I thought they were too thick, and didn't taste that great either.

Hope this helps!  :-)

bluesfan
on 8/18/13 1:32 am - FL
RNY on 07/08/13

I like the ready to drink premier protein shakes. I get them at Sam's Club. They come in vanilla or chocolate. I prefer the chocolate and they have 30 grams of protein. Hope this helps.........Good Luck !

PetHairMagnet
on 8/18/13 1:49 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On August 18, 2013 at 8:32 AM Pacific Time, bluesfan wrote:

I like the ready to drink premier protein shakes. I get them at Sam's Club. They come in vanilla or chocolate. I prefer the chocolate and they have 30 grams of protein. Hope this helps.........Good Luck !

My husband loves these and drinks 2 a day on average. He's been drinking them for nearly a year now!

I burned out on them after a month and now have a cabinet in my house full of all manner of powders that I concoct into drinks each day, but I will tell you that even within the brands, there are flavors I would not use even if they paid me but others that I love, love, love!

Samples are the best and be sure you make them differently-- I use cold coffee, unsweetened ice tea, flax milk or plain water for the base and it really changes the flavor and texture. Sometimes I use ice, sometimes not.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/18/13 2:37 am - OH

I don't drink protein shakes very often anymore (I just add it to SF not chocolate most of the time), but if I am feeling "icky" I frequently use some of the hot Unjury chicken soup protein powder (warning: it is quite salty) or the Syntrax Vanilla Bean Torte mixed with very cold milk.    

Individual taste in protein powders is VERY individual, though.  It might help us if you tell us which ones you are tried that you cannot get down because of the taste.  Without knowing what you DON'T like, someone may very well recommend something you hated but THEY like!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Katie H.
on 8/18/13 7:49 am - NC

Thanks for all of the replies, y'all, this is great information for me and I really appreciate it. 

Lora, that would be smart of me, wouldn't it? Lol! I had a really strong reaction to the after taste of the clear-ish premixed drinks from Isopure. Also gave me cramps. 

There is a popular vegan protein powder that I got from Whole Foods that I can't think of the name now that was horrible, tasted like mixing a whole

tree into whatever you were drinking so I found it impossible to get down/keep down.

I find anything (so far) that says "whey" is a no go as far as stomach cramping is concerned.

Atkins protein shakes were the ones I was able to tolerate for the longest period of time right after my band was put in. Low cramping, good flavours, sweet as they may be. But I was wondering if they were the best I could do for my body, protein-wise. If there was something better for me with a similar taste.

Katie

Katie

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/18/13 8:29 am - OH

Someone would have to PAY me, and pay me a lot, to drink an entire Isopure RTD.  Those things are vile.

I would suggest the Jay Robb egg white based protein powders if the whey ones are making you sick.  You can get individual packets of most of their flavors at Vitamin Shoppe (and other places, I'm sure).  

I never tried the Atkins shakes so I can't help with something that tastes similar but has better protein.  I'm sure someone else can, though.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Katie H.
on 8/18/13 8:44 am - NC

Hahahaha, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought those things were God awful!   

Katie

April M.
on 8/18/13 3:33 am - Clarksville, TN
RNY on 03/11/13

Syntrax Nectar has a lot of flavor options. You can get sample packs of them to try. Chike shakes are delicious as well and also have sample packs available. I like the Chike Banana and the Nectar Fuzzy Navel. I always mix my protein with water.  I also keep some of the Premier Protein Ready to drink vanilla on hand that I take with me if I am going to be out around meal time and am not sure if there will be good choices available. I like to use Torani sf syrups to flavor the vanilla shakes to offer a different taste.  Its really just trial and error. Try some and see what you like. Just be careful because some of them have way too many carbs. Best wishes on your journey :)

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 358 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 328 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 187 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 113 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 187 views