Scared to Death

Jhb617
on 4/20/11 10:25 pm - Livonia, MI
I have my consultation with my surgeon on Monday, 4/25.  My BMI is 58 - I have a lot to loose, but I am scared to death to have the RNY so I am leaning towards the LAP Band.  Was anyone scared to have this procedure?  Did this sway your decision as far as what procedure to have?

HW 321 - SW 304 - CW 249

laurenskapolska
on 4/20/11 10:33 pm - Windsor Locks, CT
I went for consult thinking I would have lap band.  My BMI is 47.  The doctor convinced me that I would not lose enough with lapband, so I am having RNY on May 5.

I am more afraid to die or be in poor health from my comorbidities than from the surgery.  

Good luck in whatever you decide.   You are so worth it.

lauren
Jhb617
on 4/20/11 10:37 pm - Livonia, MI

Thanks Lauren!  Good luck with your surgery!

Christy

mommustlive
on 4/20/11 10:40 pm - VA
I was also very scared but I decided that  I was more afraid of what lay ahead if I did not go through with the procedure.  I just had by bypass 1 week ago and pain was involved but I have lived.  My doctor felt that with my high BMI over 50 and my type 2 diabetes the bypass would be more effective.  My diabetes is already gone and  so far has been better than loosing my sight or limbs. Now I need to get the weight off but already my knees hurt less.  Feel free to ask any questions.
Jhb617
on 4/20/11 10:51 pm - Livonia, MI
Thanks Mom!  It sounds like the surgery was the best option for you.  I hope your pain ends quickly and that you see benefits soon!  Which it sounds like you have!  I am fortunate in that I don't have diabetes or HBP yet.  I do have migraines and arthritis in both knees, but overall I am pretty healthy considering.  Is the surgery done laparospically? (sp)  How long were you in the hospital and what is the expected healing time?  I work full-time and would need to take these things into consideration also.  Thanks for being so open to answer questions!
laura_vermont
on 4/20/11 10:57 pm
My bmi at consult was 38 - I went in asking about a lap-band - and didn't think I was "big enough" for a rny.  The surgeon asked about my health conditions and due to my GERD suggested RNY.  I was afraid because it's not reversible -- but it's been one of the best decisions I ever made.  BTW -- my GERD was cured with my surgery (not weight loss), so I actually felt better immediately after surgery.  I'm just over a year out & incredibly happy with my RNY.

Also, I had second thoughts until they wheeled me in -- I think that's a normal part of the journey.

Good luck with your surgery! 
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Jhb617
on 4/20/11 11:01 pm - Livonia, MI
Thanks Laura!  It makes me feel better knowing that others feel the same way I do!
Tonya0531
on 4/20/11 10:58 pm - Lake, MS
I can completely understand.  4 years ago I went for my consultation and decided to go with the Lapband because I was so terrified of the bypass.  I had my reasons I guess and they sounded really good.  Now, 4 years later I'm having my revision on Monday to bypass.  It was for me the worst decision that I ever made.  The band has caused me years of trouble.  I lost the weight but when the problems began I gained it all back.  If you want to talk, just PM me.  Good luck on your decision.  You will decide what is best for YOU!
Tonya
HW: 274  PreOp Diet: 271  Surgery: APRIL 25, 2011   
LilySlim - (6Jve)
I love my new life!!!
Jhb617
on 4/20/11 11:06 pm - Livonia, MI
Really Tonya! I guess it's refreshing to know someone feels the same way, but all this talk is definately making me think.  Re-routing your internal organs just doesn't sound normal to me...I am scared to death of blood clots.  So many things going through my head.  What kinds of issues did you have with the band?  I am so happy for you that your having your surgery! 
Tonya0531
on 4/20/11 11:16 pm - Lake, MS
My band is technically "broke".  It's completely unfilled but seems to be stuck in a filled position.  So...some days I can eat anything and I mean anything, then other days I can't swallow my own spit.  I'm constantly in the bathroom or looking for one because I never know when it's going to happen.  Sometimes when I eat, I feel there is a brick in my chest just sitting and it hurts!  It's causing esophagus spasms also which could damage the band and cause it to erode into my stomach.  My doctor says they are seeing more and more problems like this with the band.

I was so scared of the complications but what are the complications if I stay fat?  Blood clots? You can get those when you have the band surgery or any kind of surgery.  Heck you can have those now and not know it.  They will do everything possible to keep that from happening.  Rerouting my organs is a little nerve wrecking but my doctor says it is reversible if you have an emergency.  Do they want to do it? No, but they can if the need arises.  I can't say that I'm not nervous...I am.  But I'm so excited about my life afterwards.  I like my doctor and feel confident that she is doing to do everything to keep me as safe as possible.
Tonya
HW: 274  PreOp Diet: 271  Surgery: APRIL 25, 2011   
LilySlim - (6Jve)
I love my new life!!!
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 326 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 365 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?