new to the ri site

cynthialee4
on 4/3/11 5:47 am - RI
Hi! I live in RI and had no idea that there was a site just for our little state. I have been a member of the OH kind of general one. But, I'm excited to see that there are closer people who have been where I am and where I will be! My surgery is 4/6/11 by Dr. Pohl. I am really looking forward to this surgery and starting a new life as a new person. I am on the 2 week preop and am very tired of the protein shakes already. I buy the EAS or Atkins Advantage, never sure which ones are right, but they fall in the needs of 15 protein and 150 cal. I did try the sample pack from the Dr office. Besides the chocolate I did use them all. The smell was gross, and although I did drink them I felt nauseous while doing it..So, not sure where or which kinds to buy. I like the conveniece of the premade, but I know that I need to get some unflavored for after. Thanks for letting me ramble! Cindy

bdisaia
on 4/3/11 6:24 am - MA
Good luck you must be soooo excited!!! Hope all goes well and your feeling good quickly. I have my first appt this week .new to it all a little nervous !!

Julie Nolan
on 4/5/11 11:30 pm - RI

Hi Cynthia,

Today is your day. I'm wishing you well and am looking forward to getting to know you!

Welcome to the losers' bench!

Here at OH you will find a lot of helpful hints!

Normally, I would be at the hospital visiting you today and/or tomorrow but I recently had foot surgery and won't have my stitches out until Friday...so, I'm sorry I'll miss you.

I highly recommend that you attend support groups on a regular basis!

There is a GREAT post-op support group at Roger Williams on Wednesday, April 20th, 7-9pm. It's the 3rd Wednesday each month.

There are several who attend who had there surgery at other hospitals with other docs too! You'll find the members very welcoming and you'll receive a lot of info about products, services and just plain day-to-day living!

Hope to see you soon.

For Info about Rhode Island Support Groups, please email me!  [email protected]

Johanna !
on 4/6/11 5:00 am - Formerly known as jdcRI, RI
Hopefully your surgery was uneventful and by the book! As far as shakes, buy whatever you can tolerate!! the best shake is no good if you cannot drink it!!  I bought syntrax nectars online for awhile but now I buy the body fortress from walmart.  i do like the EAS carbadvantedge premade shakes though.  I also get anywhey from GNC which is unflavored. tastebuds change ALL the time so do not buy too much!!
Johanna - like Joe-on-uh, or that movie, Juwanna Man!  

James M.
on 4/21/11 12:03 pm - Providence, RI
Congrats on your surgery & welcome to the Loser's Bench! I've posted this a few times, but here we go again...always willing to share the info w/the newbies!

I've been using powdered protein...EAS Chocolate (23g protein) from BJ's and Costco's Vanilla (made my Muscle Milk, 27g protein)...I'll use plain water or Crystal Light Orange w/the Vanilla, and I also use cold decaf coffee w/1/2 scoop of each w/an ounce of SF Ice Cream to make a "frozen latte"...the bags are $23-27 (5-6# & 75-80 servings), so the they are quite cost effective. Costco also has a "Premier" brand pre-made chocolate shake 11oz, 30g protein that is quite good...15 pack for around $25 I think.

Nectar Syntrax
You can get a box of all 11 nectar protein flavors directly from Syntrax for $4.99 plus $5.99 for shipping. Contact Rick Davis Medical Sales Manager [email protected] ext. 803

Try this brand of whey http://www.shopabouttime.com 2.99 FOR TWO SINGLE SERVE SAMPLES, CHOICE OF FLAVORS.

Chike Nutrition: 6.95 for a 5-flavor sample: http://chikenutrition.com/free-sample.html

Unjury: 17.95 for a stater pack; 2 each of 5 flavors + shaker bottle: http://www.unjury.com/store/protein/unjury-protein/unjury-starter-pack/unjury-starter-kit.html

Also vitalady.com is a great place to order samples. She is a Roux-en-Y patient who is nearly 20 years out and does her best to help provide excellent products the bariatric community and you can orders samples of all sorts of proteins that you are usually hard pressed to find samples of!

And get your butt into the RWMC Support Groups, as Julie mentioned, she has samples of Nectar Syntax & other products ...

James

cynthialee4
on 4/21/11 11:30 pm - RI
thank you for the info! I did get vanilla and choc. whey from vitamin world and can't stand the smell or taste of it. I did put 1/2 a scoop in sugar free pudding and it was a bit better. i am on 2 shakes a day and really only end up doing 1. I still use the premade or s.f.instant bfast w/skim. The dietician said it was ok, so whatever way to get the protein. I'm up to about 45 gms a day or a bit more. I will try to get ot the meeting at rwmc. I registered for the one at nutritional consultant s in WW as its close to my house. Everything went great, and I go back to work on may 9th! Time to get moving on my wii fit and the treadmill at the YMCA! Maybe I'll meet you in person if i get to a meeting . Thanks again, Cindy

Most Active
Recent Topics
Blah
kathleen j. · 0 replies · 2669 views
RI VSG support group
becca9891 · 0 replies · 3371 views
Kent Hospital Bariatric team
Clamcake65 · 1 replies · 5063 views
Seeking Surgery Buddies!
delprov · 2 replies · 5864 views