Gym!

LisaAC
on 8/2/12 12:04 am - Philadelphia, PA
I am very blessed to have been able to join a gym I used to belong to, at a price I could afford, due not only to my having a "disability," but to the good heart of the man who signed me up!

I will be able to get in the pool and move around without putting impact on my knees...till I am read to do that again!

And there is also a sauna - Lyme hates heat! - that I can use regularly!

I have not yet solved the challenge of how to set goals when I don't know how I will be from day to day, so I'll appreciate any suggestions on that one from others dealing with chronic illness/pain.  But at least I can do something now on days when I am only so-so and not able for a walk .

Lisa

"The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become."
Laureen S.
on 8/2/12 4:40 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Lisa,

That is great news!!!  You are really an inspiration not allowing your chronic illness/pain to keep you from your goals!!! 

Does your gym offer the water aerobic classes?  I started with those and they really are a good workout. 

They gym I went to offered them 3 or 4 days a week, the problem for me was they only offered them at times of day that I could not go to them once I went back to work full time.  Another idea, is to perhaps ask a physical therapist/trainer to help you set goals based on your ability.  Then there is always googling to get information. . . 

Anyway, happy for you and hoping you surpass the goals you have in mind.

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

LisaAC
on 8/2/12 11:01 am - Philadelphia, PA
Thanks very much for the support, Laureen, and for the good idea!  I do have a script for PT, but don't have the money.  However, maybe I could afford a visit or two, then the occasional one, every 2-3 months.  They might be able to help me with goal setting!

They do have water aerobics, but I'm not ready for that yet.  I'm just stretching and deep water walking (using a noodle so I don't put impact on my knees).  It's kind of frustrating to be back at pre-op exercise.  I had gone on to water aerobics, swimming lessons, weights, treadmill, charity walks, etc.  I was supposed to be a regular ocean kayaker by now!  But I have to keep reminding myself that any movement is better than none at all.

And some day...I'll have it all back again.

Lisa

"The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become."
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1799 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1890 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2571 views