So I went to my last meeting last night...

Dennis Belk
on 6/16/11 2:32 am, edited 6/16/11 4:57 am - Philadelphia, PA
... as a Barix support group leader,

and I was stunned, shocked, astonished, dumbfounded and sometimes held breathless by surprise after surprise after surprise.

It was a truly amazing night in the lobby at Barix. The floor was filled with friends new and old, from closeby and far away. Friends I hadn't seen in months, even years but who were truly glad to be back home.

They were ALL there, be they in the flesh or in spirit. The love in that room was powerful and forever lasting.

Touching testimonials, tributes, laughs and tears. A night that will never be forgotten by this human being.

I made mention of my dear friend Shauna who I have a great connection with and who's health is being challenged daily and could not be there last night. Shauna was so instrumental in bringing so many of us together at the start with her local support groups in her home.

So much of the night's SURPRISES were orchestrated by My Beth (Beth C.) who is the planner beyond compare. Emailing and contacting my family and friends with the desire to make this night, my night. I had absolutely NO idea what she planned. I didn't even wonder IF she planned anything so I was totally shocked in the best of ways.

And strangely enough as I started the meeting and spoke to my early journey and referenced the words of my daughter Elisa (who was with me at my consultation and said as we were leaving, "Dad I just heard a voice and it said, this is going to be your new home"). As I repeated those words last night to Everyone I heard Beth say, "She can tell everyone herself." OMG my daughter and her husband John had just arrived from the Poconos. They had just walked in.  The timing could  not have been more perfect.

It was that kind of night. Mary and Norm Benford and Pam Hart coming down from the Lehigh Valley. Jill coming back after such along time. My very first support group leader, Audrey coming back to share the night with us. Barix nutritionists Helene being there with Barbara visiting. Elena the Barix Nutrition Mgr was there to thank us. Arlene wrote me a "thank you" poem. Mike told a touching story about me during my 2007 challenge. Leader after leader  (Karen, Laureen, Arlene, and Beth) had so many words thanking me for being me, and friends all around the room showing so much love. Old friends like Lisa and Patti and Jim. Newer friends like Willie, Jim & Kathy, Maura, Kristine and Christine & Sandra & Sarah & Patt & Beth V, of course i could go on and on and on...

One of the night's highlights was my daughter's gift to me. A song she wrote in my honor and sang to me, to us. It was called "Moses", imagine that.  And yes, she can sang!

It was a wonderful night and the person closest to me chose to push my light forward while she was content to be in the shadows.

Beth also did wonderful things as a Barix support group leader. Applause!  She has also chose to step down, but she wanted this for me and I so appreciate her efforts for me. It's a special kind of support that I'll always have.

I also want to thank the folks at Barix Clinics (Forest Health) for their faith in our leader group, their promise to stay the course for patients and their gifts of gratitude to Beth and myself.  

So In closing I want to thank Everyone for making it easy for me to be me and give to you. I gave what I had to give, and I gave some more and some more and some more...

Thank you all,

Love you all,

Dennis

bvohl
on 6/16/11 6:14 pm
Dennis,

It definitely was a night that none of us will soon forget!! Both you and Beth have been great support to me and many others. I actually met Beth first at Pre Op Meeting. She was so warm, caring and understanding especially with all of my difficulties with getting approved for the surgery. I will always remember that! From the first moment I met you, I knew you were special! A kindred spirit of sorts.....Someone who was always there with a smile, a hug and a warm greeting! But that is just who you are! I am so grateful for knowing you and Beth and for becoming friends with both of you. The friendships we make through support group are so meaningful and treasured. To think that before two years ago I didn't know any of these people! Actually, Beth recognized me from my days as a retailer at Lane Bryant. We figured that out through conversation! FUNNY!!!

The musical entertainment was so beautiful! I could see the pride in your face while watching your daughter sing!! She definitely has a gift!!

Thank you for all that you have done and will continue to do as a patient and fellow support group person!!
Love to both of you!!
Love, Beth V.
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

Arlene E.
on 6/16/11 9:09 pm - Philadelphia, PA

Beautifully written post, Dennis.

And let me mention here what a joy it was to hear your daughter sing.  She is such a lovely young woman.  Her love and compassion was evident the moment she entered the room.

Arlene 

dit657
on 6/16/11 11:14 pm - Boothwyn, PA
I'm sorry I wasn't there fir your very special evening Dennis - it sounds amazing and I know Beth was so proud and honored to be by your side.

I know I've said it before but you were so instrumental in helping me begin my journey and I will never forget you and your compassion in helping a terrified person along her journey.

I wish you all the best in your future endeavors - you are truly one of a kind and I'm honored that you were a major part of my journey.

All the best - Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Dennis Belk
on 6/17/11 12:45 am - Philadelphia, PA
Thank you Ladies,
Beth V, Arlene and Kathy,

So glad I could make a difference, a good difference.

Love ya's,

Den
(deactivated member)
on 6/17/11 12:03 am
It really was an amazing night. As I got the replies to who was attending I was moved to tears by the love and respect people have for you.

It was so special we even got Aunt Mary to come out way past her bed time to be with us for the evening. Not to mention our angelic Elisa. She makes you want to be a better person and her love is so real.

I love you,

this not goodbye just see you down the road
Dennis Belk
on 6/17/11 12:43 am - Philadelphia, PA

Thank you Baby,
Or as my son Khalif likes to "bye for now".

I love you I do,

Den

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1805 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1902 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2585 views