I need help!

Melissa S.
on 8/20/03 9:01 am - Redmond, OR
I have HealthNet and BCBS and they both have exclusions in them. I want to send in anyway but I can't get the"denied" out of my head. There is no way I can pay for this surgery. We need as many people as possible to let our insurance companies know who we are. Any where to get grant money or financial aid?
Shelley Billings
on 8/21/03 2:52 am - Oregon City, OR
Sorry Melissa, I have not heard of grant money or financial aid. I know how frustrating it is working with insurance. Good luck!
Dina M.
on 8/25/03 8:56 am
Melissa, Doesn't insurance just suck? I was denied by both ODS and BC/BS. Have you considered contacting either of the law firms that specialize in this type of legal action? www.obesitylaw.com www.obesitylawer.com No, last I researched, there is not grant money or financial aid. I keep promising that if I ever win the lottery I'll start a fund, tho! (Of course, this would mean I'd have to play it, wouldn't it?!) I know people who have sold their homes, I know someone whose parents took out a mortgage on their home so she could have her surgery, I know people who have used their retirement accounts, I know people who have had family members or friends offer the money - some no strings attached, others with modest repayment plans. For me - it was a miracle - someone anonymously donated the money for my surgery. One lady I know, her husband sold his antique car to pay for her surgery - what a guy! Some people max out several credit cards, others get lines of credit, or loans, or the like. If you are considering self-paying, then you should consider contacting the surgeon you are interested in using (which surgery are you pursuing?) and ask if they ever set up payment plans - most hospitals do. Going out of country is much more affordable than staying in the states. If you want more details - I'd be happy to share my experiences about going to Spain for my surgery. Blessings, dina
Karen Wyatt
on 8/29/03 6:18 am - CA
Hi Melissa, I really dont want to discourage you ... I also had BCBS and Health Net and both insurance companies denied me... I had to come up with the 30,000 for my surgery... and am so thankfull I was able to ... and please check with your hospital.. most of them have a pretty good finance rate.... keep trying.... good luck...
Monicaflath
on 9/3/03 3:39 pm - Portland, OR
Hi Melissa, I have BCBS of Oregon. I was approved on the first letter. Did you meet all the medically necessary requirements, for the obesity guidelines? Like what is your BMI?, Do you have high blood pressure, sleep apnea, thyroid problems, spinal problems, circulation problems? Any of these with a high BMI? I am not trying to get personnal. Just trying to help you out. Did you follow the letter on WLS to a( T)? If you didn't it might be a problem. Maybe together we can appeal it. Would you care to try? Email me. ([email protected]). Just want to help OK. Take care of you. Monica PS I can send you a grant guide by mail if you would care to check it out for financial grants, not sure if there are any available, but it wouldn't hurt to try. They do have grants for medical funds, but not sure exactly what the requirements are. But, I think your best bet is to try an appeal. Are you still game.?
Melissa S.
on 10/7/03 8:42 am - Redmond, OR
I just now read your e-mail. I haven't yet submitted to BCBS. I just know there is an exclusion that states "weight loss surgery". I spoke with someone at BCBS and as long as it is not diagnosed as "obese" it should be covered. I have thyroid problem, arthtitis in my knees and am an insulin dependent diabetic. I hope to hear from you soon, I look for ways to do this. Right now I am trying to appeal HealthNet to give me an insulin pump. They claim that the pump does not fit the criteria for a Type 2 diabetic. What in the world? Please educate me in everything you know, I feel I am at wits end here in Redmond! Talk to you soon! Melissa
Most Active
Recent Topics