6 day post op questions

Susan40
on 6/18/15 12:44 pm - Canada

Hi Everyone, 

I had my surgery last Friday at TWH and on Friday afternoon I was up and walking.... Then Saturday hit.  I ended up experiencing that dreadful gas pain and then my Hemoglobin levels dropped to 69.  I was suppose to be discharged on Sunday but they held he and on Monday had an Abdomen/pelvis ct scan to check for bleeding.  Dr Penner said besides 2 smaller hematomas he didn't see anything of concern.  On Monday my Hemoglobin level had risen a bit to 79.  But on Tuesday morning it had dropped back to 69.  All my other sats (heart rate, temp, blood pressure, sugars, O2) were perfect so they agreed to send me home 😀.

I'm feeling good a bit tired.  I was wondering if anyone almost a week out still had pain?  I get this ... Pulling sensation / pain on my left side.  How long should this (on average) last?  I feel like I want to walk around the block but I can hardly stand straight with out that sensation and I don't want to rip something.  

Any words of wisdom out there?  Is this normal? Also anyone else have hemoglobin problems now? 

Thanks Susan

Karen M.
on 6/18/15 12:57 pm - Mississauga, Canada

The pain you're describing is very normal. The left side is where they do most of the work and you may well feel "pulling", discomfort and pain for some time. Additionally, you have two hematomas - they can be really painful and it takes a while for the blood to disperse back into your body.  Having said that - if you are in a lot of pain and concerned, please call your surgeon for advice right away.

I would be more concerned about my hemoglobin being at 69 and them discharging me! I have had a hemoglobin of 64 and I was admitted into the hospital and received blood transfusions. Don't mess around with that - dangerous.  

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Susan40
on 6/18/15 1:23 pm - Canada

Hi Karen, thanks for your reply.  I am actually feeling ok the pain is totally tolerable I was mostly concerned if it was normal 😉.   They were definitely concerned about my hemoglobin but I had no other symptoms of a bleed.  I am following up with my family Dr next week to check my levels again. I was told at TWH that they don't tend to give blood transfusions as fast anymore.....😕

Karen M.
on 6/18/15 1:26 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Take it easy, Susan and if you start feeling "badly" - like not yourself and unwell - I would go to the ER and explain your surgery/hematoma/hemoglobin at 69 situation to them.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 6/18/15 10:37 pm

I agree with Karen, if your hemoglobin is 69, you're probably having a hard time putting one foot in front of the other.!!!!  Pretty sure it should be about 100-115. 69 is in need of transfusions! Hope you feel better, don't mess around.

(deactivated member)
on 6/18/15 8:15 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I have no words of advice. I just wanted to say that I hope you feel better. 

Susan40
on 6/18/15 8:53 pm - Canada

Thank you! 

Most Active
Recent Topics