Stall Help

DeeMishka
on 9/3/14 12:10 pm
RNY on 08/08/14

So Friday marks my 1 month post op and I've been stuck at a stall for just over a week now I was losing very fast for the first two weeks and I loved every minute of it but now that I have hit the stall I'm looking for some advice.

I'm following the guidelines and still eating around 1/4 -1/3 depending what it is I am having. 

I've started walking since I got clearance because I was having some heart issues which seems to be better now. Tonight I did 1.4 miles which felt great but I didn't want to push my luck too much so I'm hoping to work my way up to 2 miles by next week. 

Any advice would be great.

Leanne1
on 9/3/14 12:58 pm - Newmarket, Canada

Keep doing what you are doing. Stalls are going to happen while your body catches up. Generally at 3weeks, 6weeks and other times you will notice it. 

Did you take measurements of different parts of your body? When you aren't losing lbs, you can still lose inches. 

Good luc****ep up the good work :-)

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

highlandbear
on 9/4/14 9:34 am - Canada

throw the scale away. Best advice I can give you. 

Jiliana2
on 9/4/14 10:51 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

That three-week stall sucks! I recall it vividly. I stalled at three weeks FOR three weeks. I was ready to tear out my hair! But I was following the program. And at one point, we broke out the measuring tape and the camera to record pis and stats. I was surprised to see that while the scale hadn't budged in three whole weeks, I'd lost almost 12 inches off my body in that same time period! So I would suggest don't focus on the numbers on the scale. Try another method for gauging how you are feeling. Are your clothes looser? Do you have more energy? Can you see angles or feel bones where you've never felt them before? (I just recently discovered my sternum! Go figure!) Can you fit your fingers around your wrist easier? There are so many other ways of measuring success other than the numbers on the scale. Honestly, as long as you are following your diet correctly, you need to trust the process and believe that you are doing what is right. It will all work out in the end. Have faith.

In addition, I've come to the realization--and I've made peace with the fact--that I am a "stair-stepping loser." I will lose for a few weeks, and then plateau for a week or two. Then an immediate, sharp drop, lose for a week or two, and then plateau. As I go down, I plateau more frequently, but I am continuing to trust the process and follow the plan. I take measurements. I have introduced some vigorous exercise at the gym and (gulp) I've actually taken up running! Who knew?! Me... the fat chick with the bad knees can run! There's an accomplishment.

So yeah, don't focus on that scale. It isn't always a great reflection of your accomplishments. Learn a few other ways to judge how well you're doing and use them in times of stalls and plateaus. And hang in there! You're not alone. We're all on this path together.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Most Active
Recent Topics