4wks post op and protein bars

DeeMishka
on 9/4/14 1:54 pm
RNY on 08/08/14

Hello just wondering if it is too early to try protein bars? I have always struggled getting in liquid protein since having surgery and wasn't sure if it's too early to try the protein bars. I am on the beginning stages of solid food and at my nutrition class they never mentioned the protein bars and it completely slipped my mind.

Jiliana2
on 9/4/14 9:57 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I would think that protein bars, being a solid food that is usually REALLY dense (stays in your stomach a long time!), likely wouldn't be available to you yet at this stage in your post-op diet. If you are just at the beginning stages of solid foods, then I doubt it's something you want to try just yet, but you can always ask your center and see what they say.

I know at four weeks post-op, I wouldn't have dared try anything that heavy or dense. Liquid protein was definitely the way to go for me. Maybe you just haven't found a protein drink that you like yet? If you go to Popeye's, they will usually let you take a few samples to try out. Also, remember that a lot of people have trouble with lactose post-op; you may need almond milk or water to mix your protein powders instead of regular milk. I personally really like the Bio-X brand at Popeye's, but I hear really good things about Syntrax in the USA if ordering is a possibility for you.

I wish you lots of luck getting in your protein requirements. I know it's tough.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Most Active
Recent Topics